Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Fuel shortage affects Auckland Airport flights after leak halts supply

Fuel shortage affects Auckland Airport flights after leak halts supply

Old Sep 16, 17, 8:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Zealand
Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
Posts: 931
Fuel shortage affects Auckland Airport flights after leak halts supply

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...k-halts-supply


The pipeline that connects Marsden Point refinery to AKL airport has been leaking so it has been closed, with fuel supplies to airlines being impacted.

At least one flight has had to stop at Christchurch to top up.
Trumpkin is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 8:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 353
NZ Herald saying 23 flights cancelled today and problems expected to last 2-3 days.
gratn is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 9:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Posts: 41
Not sure if related, I'm on NZ28 today and it's delayed 3 hours.
Informed yesterday.
love NZ infrastructure.
Nz79 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 9:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 153
Things could be a mess for a few days: I'm tried a couple of hours ago o move my AKl-WLG flight on Wed and there was nothing at all showing as avail mon - thu. Flights back on stream now for changes, so that's good news... for now

Last edited by Flygirlnz; Sep 16, 17 at 9:43 pm Reason: Update
Flygirlnz is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 11:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by Nz79 View Post
Not sure if related, I'm on NZ28 today and it's delayed 3 hours.
Informed yesterday.
love NZ infrastructure.
Love your sense of entitlement. Get a grip and have some perspective, plenty of snowy cities around the world for example that become a shambles when it snows.
b1m9t0 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 12:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Posts: 1,262
So apparently it was a digger used in logging

Presumably something like this will be investigated and if found to be at fault the company operating this digger can be fined?

Will cause a huge economic loss
oranjemakker is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 2:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 600
Seems like it could be hugely damaging to the environment to have an oil pipeline just flowing straight into the ground. Wonder if they will be prosecuted.
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 2:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,312
They are reporting it could affect the airport for up to two weeks. Not sure if that is scaremongering or not by media.
Rebound is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 4:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 229
I'm confused about airnz cancelling return flights CHC-AKL-CHC; WLG-AKL-WLG; AKL-SYD-AKL. Surely the A320s can just take on extra fuel in CHC, WLG, and SYD. Yes, it would cost more to operate the flight, but there's nothing that would prevent that. A320s routinely fly 6hr transcon in the US, so I could not imagine time or distance would be an issue...will be interested to hear from those with greater tech knowledge. Feel sorry for those on long haul flights from Asia and the US needing refuelling stops (in Australia and Pacific respectively, I presume). Nothing to do with airnz, but the country looks pretty foolish not to have a redundant back up for this critical infrastructure.
Bub001 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 10:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
I'm confused about airnz cancelling return flights CHC-AKL-CHC; WLG-AKL-WLG; AKL-SYD-AKL. Surely the A320s can just take on extra fuel in CHC, WLG, and SYD. Yes, it would cost more to operate the flight, but there's nothing that would prevent that. A320s routinely fly 6hr transcon in the US, so I could not imagine time or distance would be an issue...will be interested to hear from those with greater tech knowledge. Feel sorry for those on long haul flights from Asia and the US needing refuelling stops (in Australia and Pacific respectively, I presume). Nothing to do with airnz, but the country looks pretty foolish not to have a redundant back up for this critical infrastructure.
I am no aviation expert but think it could have something to do with 2 x take off at full weight, the fuel that requires, plus the requirement to carry enough fuel to divert to a different airport etc etc.

Flying 6 hours in 1 flight might consume less fuel?

Just now waiting for an election promise to build a second pipeline. The Government will spend up for the private fuel companies who gouged consumers!
kiwicyclo is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 2:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,908
Couldn't apart of this issue have had less of an impact if AKL had of built an new larger fuel storage depot by now? that isn't next to an Terminal. With all of the extra flights in the past 10 years, yet they have done nothing to increase storage onsite.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 2:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,967
I too am a little intrigued at the main trunk jet cancellations when you'd just assume they could fill up at WLG or CHC. I wonder if it's just part of an overall strategy to use less fuel overall for a few days?

I see on nzsource it mentions NZ5 today having a tech stop in NAN to refuel on it's way from LAX to AKL which will presumably give it enough fuel to fly it's next hop to Australia.

I wonder what the impacts are on airports such as NAN of this? Surely they don't have mass surplus A1 sitting there to top up every 777 that passes overhead.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 4:11 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: SQ TPPS (18), EK S, NZ E, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Couldn't apart of this issue have had less of an impact if AKL had of built an new larger fuel storage depot by now? that isn't next to an Terminal. With all of the extra flights in the past 10 years, yet they have done nothing to increase storage onsite.
The constraint is not airport storage, but the pipeline itself. As jet consumption has increased over the years, the fuel companies have struggled to balance the flow of products such that one or other is not displaced from the line and has to be transported by truck or coastal tanker (at much higher unit cost). Jet will never be displaced, so diesel and gasoline would be the affected products.

Building a second line has been considered but has never made economic sense, and the government has certainly not offered to pay, naturally. This issue might trigger a rethink.
Eltham is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 5:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by b1m9t0 View Post
Love your sense of entitlement. Get a grip and have some perspective, plenty of snowy cities around the world for example that become a shambles when it snows.
No real sense of entitlement here. Crap happens.
But having to have two techs fly in from Canada to fix it?
Surely our country could do better?
Nz79 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 5:17 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Zealand
Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
Posts: 931
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11923293

Z Energy spokesman Jonathan Hill ... said the airline industry had come up with an arrangement that meant each airline was allowed 30 per cent of what they normally take.
Only having 30% of the normal fuel available will explain why domestic and international flights are being impacted.
Trumpkin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: