Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access in HKG and TPE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Lounge Access in HKG and TPE

Booked airnz tickets WLG-TPE online, but only options to connect between HKG and TPE were on CX metal. They are coded with CX flight numbers though.

Am I right in assuming therefore as AirNZ Gold I cannot access Cathay's Lounges in HKG or TPE as their partnership agreement only extends to flights between AKL and HKG?

I am Oneworld Sapphire as well, wonder would that get me in as the HKG-TPE-HKG flights are ticketed as CX.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Booked airnz tickets WLG-TPE online, but only options to connect between HKG and TPE were on CX metal. They are coded with CX flight numbers though.

Am I right in assuming therefore as AirNZ Gold I cannot access Cathay's Lounges in HKG or TPE as their partnership agreement only extends to flights between AKL and HKG?

I am Oneworld Sapphire as well, wonder would that get me in as the HKG-TPE-HKG flights are ticketed as CX.
I had a similar flight AKL-HKG-PEK on NZ then CX. Was a gifted double RU AKL-HKG, then CX Y to PEK. Was KC only I think.

Somehow I managed to get into the CX lounge...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I had a similar flight AKL-HKG-PEK on NZ then CX. Was a gifted double RU AKL-HKG, then CX Y to PEK. Was KC only I think.

Somehow I managed to get into the CX lounge...
Beijing and Shanghai are two exceptions. On any other routes you will be out of luck.

Lounge access

Connecting between Hong Kong and Beijing or Shanghai: Elite and Gold members, plus one guest, may also access Cathay Pacific/Dragonair Business class lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai when they connect to or from a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight to or from Beijing or Shanghai.
Shamrock55 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Its weird by default their booking system put me on Cathay and not another Star Alliance like Eva Air.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Its weird by default their booking system put me on Cathay and not another Star Alliance like Eva Air.
You're obviously not familiar with Air New Zealand. Most of their biggest interline and codeshare partners are not part of *A
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

re:OWS, so your HKG - TPE return is CX with #160 ?? (Instead of NZ 086). I'd think you could use your OWS if so to access the lounge. One of the benefits of having a foot in each camp. I read the OW lounges are pretty nice in HKG.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
re:OWS, so your HKG - TPE return is CX with #160 ?? (Instead of NZ 086). I'd think you could use your OWS if so to access the lounge. One of the benefits of having a foot in each camp. I read the OW lounges are pretty nice in HKG.
OP is on a CX flight number between HKG and TPE, flying CX metal, and so is entitled to lounge access in both ports by way of his OWS status. It doesn't matter what stock the ticket is issued on.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You're obviously not familiar with Air New Zealand.
Correct! Just "quit" Qantas.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks all for the advice folks.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Correct! Just "quit" Qantas.
Air NZ has pretty significant alliances and/or interline agreements with Virgin Atlantic, Cathay, Etihad and Aerolineas Argentinas just to name a few.

Vast numbers of NZ customers (far more than those that fly on NZ metal via LAX) bound for Europe on NZ 086 ticket stock fly via KHG or PVG on CX or VA. BA is also a really common option for the 2nd hop both on Asian and North American (mainly from SFO/YVR) routes.

Inside the US you'll find significant interline agreements with Delta and Alaska.

NZ aren't sold on trying to only book you on *A partners. They'll literally partner with anybody that improves the customer experience.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle

NZ aren't sold on trying to only book you on *A partners. They'll literally partner with anybody that improves the customer experience.
This makes me laugh. I thought the real reason was NZ partnering with anybody who would sell them cheaper interline fares. To the US, it's often VX or DL. To China and Europe, it's a bunch of SkyTeam airlines.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This makes me laugh. I thought the real reason was NZ partnering with anybody who would sell them cheaper interline fares. To the US, it's often VX or DL. To China and Europe, it's a bunch of SkyTeam airlines.
Isn't VX or DL an improvement over the star alliance equivalent?

...obviously not for FF's who'd like to use lounges and so on, but I know if I was flying in Y with no status I'd take VX over UA any day of the week!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:17 am
Original Poster

No issues accessing Cathay lounges either end of HKG-TPE due to status and CA flight numbers.

Today have 6 hours to kill at HKG before NZ80 after coming up from Singapore this morning. So far been to the Singapore and United lounges. Singapore one is really dark and gloomy with no natural light and food very average. United much better, bright and comfortable, but a lot warmer due to being open to the terminal.

Going to finish the afternoon with some time at the Cathay Wing, looks great.
NZbutterfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.