Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Potential new Business Class seats/service revamp!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM

So, I just got a call from the customer service team handling Airpoints Elite members...

... for an initial evening of discussing potential new Business class seats and product/service at their Auckland head office...

... AND I CAN'T MAKE IT as I'll be flying out on a trip just the night prior!

As far as I am aware, they are looking for Elite members based in Auckland, who has travelled in J in the past few months (which most Elites would tick the boxes for... barring Auckland location).

Anyone on here that got a similar phone call/invite, PLEASE DO report back on the evening!

(The rep on the phone didn't preface/start the conversation with "this is confidential" or "keep this to yourself" so... I am sure not breaking any rules... however IF (a big IF) they are show-casing any new potential J seats, you might need to sign an NDA...)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why would they think about new seats now when they've just about completed the 77W refit and the low density 789 config is already confirmed (first plane is under construction).

Surely that's the sort of thing they should have been looking at a year ago?

Maybe it's for the A350's.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Its part of the plan for the 2021 772 replacement plan
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Maybe it's for the A350's.
Could be.... surely if they were to use the A350 to kick of say New York, they would want an new 'long-haul' product to go with it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Rebound
Its part of the plan for the 2021 772 replacement plan
That's my thinking too, can't see them "re-re-fit" the 77W and 789s in the next year or 2...

So if they start the consultation process now, maybe it'll be ready in 4 year's time by 2021, and new orders don't just come overnight so, if they make up their mind (A350 or 777-8/9X) and order in the next year or so, would be ready by then.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Etihad 789/A380 J layout please, front and rear facing to squeeze a few more seats in but all with direct aisle access and accounts for people travelling together in the middle seats.

My only question would be where would they store the mattresses as the NZ bed is a major draw card for me.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
First class?

Do you think bringing back first class might be on the agenda?

Guess highly unlikely.....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Maybe no need for first class but it would be nice to have a differentiated lounge for Elites, especially with the crazy crowds at AKL in the evenings.

I'm often a little jealous when I walk past the Qantas first lounge in LAX on my way to the Star Alliance lounge where NZ won't let us in the First Class section (even VA used to do it for their Platinum members before they switched lounges)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by samjnz
Maybe no need for first class but it would be nice to have a differentiated lounge for Elites, especially with the crazy crowds at AKL in the evenings.

I'm often a little jealous when I walk past the Qantas first lounge in LAX on my way to the Star Alliance lounge where NZ won't let us in the First Class section (even VA used to do it for their Platinum members before they switched lounges)
First Class Star lounge in LAX is nothing very special. Better food and booze but that's about it. I have taken my glass of bubbles to the outside area most times when I have had access in LAX.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samjnz

the VA gold and platinum now use the Emirates lounge ...Business class Etihad lounge
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
There won't be first class, Air NZ has always pitched its Business Premier to be between Business and First.

I believe they will make a decision on the replacement aircraft in the next 6-12 months.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
First Class Star lounge in LAX is nothing very special. Better food and booze but that's about it. I have taken my glass of bubbles to the outside area most times when I have had access in LAX.
The Qantas First Class Lounge in Sydney on the other hand...Wow!

Blows any Air NZ Lounge out of the water.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
The Qantas First Class Lounge in Sydney on the other hand...Wow!

Blows any Air NZ Lounge out of the water.
But its first class, its Sydney, and in a country with a much bigger population than NZ so I wouldn't expect the same here.

Personally I think the priority pass eats now available blow the QF first class food out of the water! Well, breakfast at least.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Reverse herringbone seats, such as Zodiac Cirrus or B/E Super Diamond, would be nice upgrade
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Air Canada business class is miles ahead of Air NZ now.
That would be a very decent upgrade going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.