FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Issues with no gatePass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1864138-issues-no-gatepass.html)

sbiddle Aug 30, 2017 3:33 am

Issues with no gatePass

Has anybody who's flown in the past week since they scrapped the paper printout seen many issues?

I​​​​​​I boarded quite early tonight and was in 1C. There were 3 people who tried to board and were all rejected by crew because they had no seat # on the app. This is a result of not refreshing the app - but the gate scanner lets you board only to find the crew send you back.

NZ_Flyer Aug 30, 2017 3:43 am

Had this today but I figured the printer was broken - didn't realise it was BAU now.

I always refresh my app/select a seat but I see how it could be a problem for a small few. Maybe NZ will update the app so that when you are marked as boarded it auto-updates?

sbiddle Aug 30, 2017 3:47 am

They updated the website in about mid July to say you show your phone to crew - but only stopped printing the passes last week.

It's quite possibly something that simply wasn't considered - and quite possibly needs some redesign of the processes if the problem is on the scale of what I saw tonight on every flight.

At least people seem to be checking in now. I had two flights in a row with people who were refused boarding because they hadn't but haven't seen that happen for a few weeks now.

dadig Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Exciting can't wait to try out this weekend. I'm sure students will run out of data some point

oranjemakker Aug 30, 2017 6:24 pm

What do you mean checkin? i have never done this. Does cliciing show boarding pass check you in?

sbiddle Aug 30, 2017 6:58 pm

You've needed to check in for the past 2 years since they scrapped the NFC tag. Air NZ have however not enforced this.

If you don't check in by using the kiosk, app/web check-in or by visiting Koru (which automatically checks you in) you will be offloaded at T-20 when boarding starts and considered a no show. If there are standby pax these will be allocated a seat ahead of you on the flight.

You can no longer just turn up at the gate and scan your phone if you have not checked in. It will scan red.

kiwisflying Aug 30, 2017 7:34 pm

I flew twice last Wednesday. In the morning I received a printout and in the evening I was told they no longer issued them. I didn't see any issues but I was slightly merry.

brenrox Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 28757772)
You've needed to check in for the past 2 years since they scrapped the NFC tag. Air NZ have however not enforced this.

If you don't check in by using the kiosk, app/web check-in or by visiting Koru (which automatically checks you in) you will be offloaded at T-20 when boarding starts and considered a no show. If there are standby pax these will be allocated a seat ahead of you on the flight.

You can no longer just turn up at the gate and scan your phone if you have not checked in. It will scan red.

The e-tickets say only those with bags must check-in...for those with no bags, it just says be at gate 20mins before flight departs and that you should carry a copy of your e-ticket with you as well as ID...

oranjemakker Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 28757772)

If you don't check in by .... by visiting Koru (which automatically checks you in) you will be offloaded at T-20 when boarding starts and considered a no show. .

Thats why Ive never been offloaded! I guess I always scan in the koru lounge! ^

SilverTP Aug 30, 2017 11:02 pm

I had a near miss a few weeks ago in CHC when travelling with my daughter who does not have the app. I had scanned at Koru club about 23 minutes before my flight, and was told to go straight to the gate. We arrived at the regional gate at less than T-20. As my daughter hadn't been scanned, we were advised that they would let her on this time but wouldn't be so lenient in future.

sbiddle Aug 31, 2017 3:35 am

Originally Posted by brenrox (Post 28758095)
The e-tickets say only those with bags must check-in...for those with no bags, it just says be at gate 20mins before flight departs and that you should carry a copy of your e-ticket with you as well as ID...

That's your interpretation which is not correct.

The email you get at T-24hrs saying check-in is open says the same thing - if you have no bags be at the game 20 mins before... It does not say anywhere that you do not need to check in. It means that once checked in, you can simply turn up at the gate at T-20 mins and don't need to visit a kiosk.

You can also no longer board with only an e-ticket. These are not valid at the gate.

Having had friends on several occasions bumped from flights over the years when they've gone to board at T-20 and found they've been bumped because they didn't check in I've always checked in. Yes you've been able to do it (and I've done it myself) but new policy is now in place and if you don't check in you may well find yourself not on your flight.

Hopefully people like this also might learn a lesson from failing to follow the rules - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11886245

Maybe Air NZ need to reword things a little better if you (and others) believe that it doesn't make it clear you need to check in.

oranjemakker Aug 31, 2017 4:24 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 28758926)
That's your interpretation which is not correct.

The email you get at T-24hrs saying check-in is open says the same thing - if you have no bags be at the game 20 mins before... It does not say anywhere that you do not need to check in. It means that once checked in, you can simply turn up at the gate at T-20 mins and don't need to visit a kiosk.

Does clicking the "view boarding pass" on the app check you in?

NZbutterfly Aug 31, 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 28759038)
Does clicking the "view boarding pass" on the app check you in?

It says check-in below "view boarding pass". After you have actually checked in it then says something like "checked-in" in green colouring with a tick next to it. I can view a boarding pass now but it doesn't change the check-in font underneath.

Top of climb Aug 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 28759676)
It says check-in below "view boarding pass". After you have actually checked in it then says something like "checked-in" in green colouring with a tick next to it. I can view a boarding pass now but it doesn't change the check-in font underneath.

That's just dumb. I'd wager that most if not all travellers connect having a boarding pass with having checked in. If NZ are now requiring you to separately check in then the "view boarding pass" button should be disabled until you have actually checked in - especially when up to now clicking "view boarding pass" has sufficed to let you board the plane at less than T-20. Or at the very least the boarding pass that pops up when you click "view boarding pass" should have an endorsement that says YOU MUST CHECK IN FOR THIS BOARDING PASS TO BE VALID or similar.

sbiddle Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 28761606)
That's just dumb. I'd wager that most if not all travellers connect having a boarding pass with having checked in. If NZ are now requiring you to separately check in then the "view boarding pass" button should be disabled until you have actually checked in - especially when up to now clicking "view boarding pass" has sufficed to let you board the plane at less than T-20. Or at the very least the boarding pass that pops up when you click "view boarding pass" should have an endorsement that says YOU MUST CHECK IN FOR THIS BOARDING PASS TO BE VALID or similar.

It's an incredibly small % of passengers who don't check in - most people understand it's just normal process so don't have that mind-set.

As I mentioned above maybe Air NZ need to change things because there do seem to be a few people on here and some frequent flyers who seem to have a different interpretation and expectation to Air NZ and are oblivious to the process.

You couldn't disable the 2D barcode from displaying until the pax has checked in because scanning this at the kiosk is the normal process used by a lot of people (incl myself) to grab my details when I'm checking a bag.