Issues with no gatePass

Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
When leaving WLG this week multiple people at the gate were not 'checked in' and were redirected to gate staff.
It will take a few weeks for travelers to adapt to the new process.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It should be straightforward for the app to notify people that if they are booked on a flight and haven't yet checked in say 30 minutes before the flight departs that they have 10 minutes to do so.

For Elites (and potentially other premium customers) this could also trigger a phone call / txt (set via a preference) for a reminder at the 25 minutes point.

There are lots of ways that Air NZ could make this less painful and avoid issues where customers, especially premium ones, get to a gate and are denied boarding.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Well maybe if they actually communicated this to passengers rather than just unilaterally changing it with no notice then we wouldn't be in this predicament.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Well maybe if they actually communicated this to passengers rather than just unilaterally changing it with no notice then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Why? It's not a change of process. You've been supposed to check in for years. It's just that they never enforced it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why? It's not a change of process. You've been supposed to check in for years. It's just that they never enforced it.
True, but it doesn't pass the "Dom Post / NZ Herald" test, which is "will this change potentially result in stories appearing on the front page of the newspaper?".

Given how many times we see stories of people being denied boarding and similar, it is a wonder that this hasn't yet been in the media.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:00 pm

You couldn't disable the 2D barcode from displaying until the pax has checked in because scanning this at the kiosk is the normal process used by a lot of people (incl myself) to grab my details when I'm checking a bag.
Then call it "View barcode for kiosk check in" or similar. Don't call it a boarding pass until you have checked in. Easy.

Off the top of my head I can think of no other airline that issues you a "boarding pass" before you have checked in.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Can anybody name any other airline that ever let you turn up at the gate without checking in?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:28 pm

Can anybody name any other airline that ever let you turn up at the gate without checking in?
All airlines require check in, but not all airlines require passengers to manually check in. LOT and Flybe both enable automatic check in, for example.

Most passengers having generated a boarding pass, would not unreasonably assume they can use it to board the plane. Changing the button on the app to say something different would be an easy and simple fix.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
True, but it doesn't pass the "Dom Post / NZ Herald" test, which is "will this change potentially result in stories appearing on the front page of the newspaper?".

Given how many times we see stories of people being denied boarding and similar, it is a wonder that this hasn't yet been in the media.
The story I linked to above did make the media - but that was about a week before official policy changed. Prior to this official change you risked being bumped if you didn't check in as did happen to her.

As I've said I personally know a number of people who have been bumped on occasions in recent years because they hadn't checked in. For this reason I'd always checked in and was really surprised to see posts from people on here who didn't because I assume they'd be the type that would be fully aware of the risks.

Now you will be bumped, but can be loaded back on the flight if there is space (ie standby pax will get priority over you).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Can you name any other airline that doesn't specifically state you must check-in?

~5-7 years ago NZ used to advertise that you didn't need to check-in if you didn't have bags. From memory on the e-ticket it stated something like "no bags? just be at the gate 20mins before departure".
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenrox
Can you name any other airline that doesn't specifically state you must check-in?

~5-7 years ago NZ used to advertise that you didn't need to check-in if you didn't have bags. From memory on the e-ticket it stated something like "no bags? just be at the gate 20mins before departure".
All references to not needing to check in were pulled several years ago when ePass was canned.

Even before that you always ran the risk of being bumped if you didn't check in if there were cancellations or delays.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Mandatory announcements about paperless now during boarding announcements - amusing and annoying at the same time, just like some of the safety videos
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:10 pm

It is unfathomable to me why someone would NOT check in...it takes less than a minute on the app or on line. Probably the same sort of people who insist on being the last to board because they are so important. DYKWIA
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Bub001
It is unfathomable to me why someone would NOT check in...it takes less than a minute on the app or on line. Probably the same sort of people who insist on being the last to board because they are so important. DYKWIA
Because you have not had to for years. And your App has a boarding pass.
When I explained the change to my wife (Elite who travels a lot) this morning she was like "what? I have a boarding pass on my phone".
Air NZ have made a bad job of advising of this change when regular traveling Elites do not know.
The App should not show a boarding pass until check-in has happened. This is will mean travelers using the App will have it sorted before arriving to the gate.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I agree - I travel WLG-AKL every week and have never checked in. Most often, I goto the Koru which does it automatically (although I never knew this either).

I was caught out last week when I did a same day change which gives you a new boarding pass, but does not sign a seat (and you can't assign one either). So i was unconcerned, did not goto the Koru as I arrived at the airport 20 ins prior to departure, at the gate 15 minutes prior. Luckily I was given a no-show seat - the gate staff (who I know) did not explain what happened. I assumed it was a glitch, but clearly not.

Some communication is required by Air NZ here.

Last edited by SqKiwi; Sep 1, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.