Wiki Posts
Search

odd situation with flexible fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
odd situation with flexible fares

Hi, I have a bit of an odd one coming up and wonder if anyone has any insight into how to best deal with it. We have a family member coming to visit us in Wellington from Canada, but her partner has some health issues that could flare up while she is in Wellington. If that happens she will need to hop on a flight back to Canada immediately.

I'm not sure if it is worth spending more than double the cost of the fare on a flexible ticket, or if there is some sort of travel insurance available that we could purchase to protect against the cost of change fees & fare differences, should she have to leave early.

Does anyone have any experience with this, ideally in Canada?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If you already know of "some health issues that could flare up" I'm not sure if any insurer would actually take up a policy for this.

How much are you planning to avoid a fare change? How long is the family member visiting?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
It sounds like you need a flexible option. I would recommend paying for a flexible fare.
If you aware of medical issues before travel I doubt any insurer will cover this situation.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
If you aware of medical issues before travel I doubt any insurer will cover this situation.
They will potentially cover it, but it will need full disclosure to the insurer and it is likely to result in a significant additional cost, dependent on the medical issue and the likelihood of it happening.

It's quite likely to be cheaper to just have a flexible ticket, assuming that if it does happen that they can fly normally.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Are one way fares cheaper than flexi's??

Check out the airlines change of date and cancellation policy? I cancelled a trip with QR due to unforeseen circumstances - cheapest ticket in Y and J, process was EASY, filled out form online and done! Refund takes up to 28 days but I'm sure came in less than that.

Can check out change fees etc. Only flown Qantas TT but they have been good with change fee and fare difference. I think NZ may be lenient only if the gold or elite member is the person with the change of circumstance.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Generally speaking, it's much better to buy the restricted ticket and change it if need be. Pulling up a random YVR-WLG fare (pretty much any Economy class fare Canada-NZ would be similar), it has a change fee of CAD 150.

If she needs to change the ticket, it would cost CAD 150 plus possibly an additional difference in fare (this is far from guaranteed). The only direct advantage of a flexible ticket is that it has no change fee. The "difference in fare" is frequently less or zero, but only because you paid it up front. Assuming that the maximum number of ticket changes is one, you pretty much always come out ahead paying the change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.