Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightening strike & aborted landing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Lightening strike & aborted landing

We came back from Raratonga on NZ45 last night into AKL. Whilst descending through the cloud there was a large flash and a bang...we were told by the captain it was a lightening strike.

That was scary but as we came within a few meters of landing the captain aborted and climbed again...we were told it was because of the wind. Odd none of this has been reported today so far today.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Go arounds happen every day, especially in bad weather.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:10 pm

On average airliners will get hit at least once per year
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
On average airliners will get hit at least once per year
Yes, it seems more common than you would think. Still pretty rare to see your plane get struck by lightening though. Not something I'd like to see again!!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by plod
Yes, it seems more common than you would think. Still pretty rare to see your plane get struck by lightening though. Not something I'd like to see again!!
Most of the time no one notices. They only figure it out when on the ground and notice some marks on the paint or broken static wicks. Then also pilots will only mention it when it would be noticeable to the pax. Even though it is fine don't want to alarm people when don't have to.

Monty Python does it well:

I on the other hand would like to experience a lightening strike. Also never had a go around. Then I'm the one who likes bumpy rides as means getting my monies worth a flight and a roller coaster ride
jawnbc and SpannerSpinner like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.