Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Buying changeable tickets using airpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, NZ G

I don't fly much now and I've dropped down to Sliver status. I now have a lot of airpoints about to expire in September. Hate to see these go to waste so I'll probably buy a couple of TT tickets for my partner and I to take a short holiday. (NZ is our favourite holiday destination).
But we can't travel before the points expiry date.

(1) Can I buy tickets using points for flights after September, for travel sometime in the next 12 months?
AFAIK, I'm not obliged to fly before the points expiry date but would need to purchase before this date.

(2) If I buy tickets where the date can be changed, can I change the date of these flights when I'm more certain of when we can take a break?
In other words, will I be restricted in any way because I've used points to buy flexible tickets?
No doubt some change fee will apply, but that's not a problem.

Looking at BP or PE as there's a lot of points to use.

I'm MEL based, so there's really no option to use points except flights and car hire. Family transfers aren't an option either.
Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Airpoints are valid at time of booking - This was based on the experience of a family relative and can be a forward date.

You can change flights booked with Airpoints however the change fee and fare difference can not be paid using Airpoints - the fare conditions will be as per the booking class at the time of booking.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
If you have a lot of APD, it might be worth getting one of the airpoints credit cards which will stop them expiring.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
If you have a lot of APD, it might be worth getting one of the airpoints credit cards which will stop them expiring.
That would be my advice for the OP if they're able. Even the low fees Kiwibank one is fine.

Being Australian based that may be an issue though.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Thanks dadig, you confirm what I was hoping for.
I suspect no chance of a NZ credit card for someone the other side of the ditch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.