Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Lounge Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

LAX Lounge Experience

So was getting a new boarding pass at the LAX lounge. The lady said what the gate was, pointed at it (first to the left of the shops), circled it on pass. All helpful stuff.

Then she said that she would make a boarding call at 8.45pm. Then crossed out the boarding time of 2045 on the pass and wrote 845p. What's the point of crossing out a time just to write the same time (in a format I personally less prefer? as is more ambiguous etc)?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As surprising as it is there are lots of people who don't understand 24hr time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

From all the analytics AirNZ would have on me I would have thought it would be very clear that 24 hour is my preference.

They have my preferences from the site are from 24h. Also in the app it is showing 24 hour time, not sure if that is just the app or coming from phone's localisation settings. So they have access to all this data. The point of companies collecting all this personal details is to show us targeted ads and provide a personalised service. If this data isn't making it through to front line staff why aren't they collecting it?

I have had rants on twitter about time/date formats etc, so any Big Data processing engine should clearly figure it out as well.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:08 pm

I don't really see what any of this has to do with big data or your preferences.

Lots of people don't understand 24hr time so a CSR who's probably used to people asking what time that is in "normal time" took the initiative to write it down thinking she was helping you.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

AirNZ has all this information, they are talking about use Hololens after all and if that project isn't being back by big data its just a gimmick that will make experiences worse not better.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:26 pm

I still fail to see any relationship between big data and a lounge staffer simply trying to be helpful.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ GE
Originally Posted by nzkarit
From all the analytics AirNZ would have on me I would have thought it would be very clear that 24 hour is my preference.

They have my preferences from the site are from 24h. Also in the app it is showing 24 hour time, not sure if that is just the app or coming from phone's localisation settings. So they have access to all this data. The point of companies collecting all this personal details is to show us targeted ads and provide a personalised service. If this data isn't making it through to front line staff why aren't they collecting it?

I have had rants on twitter about time/date formats etc, so any Big Data processing engine should clearly figure it out as well.
Maybe she did it to annoy you ??
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: LH/G,KL/G,ABBA!
"Generalization Alert"....many 'mercans don't use 24h clock.
Even their airline timetables use 8.45P instead of 2045...RM1
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Routemaster1
"Generalization Alert"....many 'mercans don't use 24h clock......

And they're still not metric. Sigh.

Originally Posted by nzkarit
From all the analytics AirNZ would have on me I would have thought it would be very clear that 24 hour is my preference.....
I had a brief chat with someone in a NZ uniform at LAX TBIT on one of my recent departures from there. She said she works for a company that contracts to various airlines. They are assigned to handle check-in, help, etc for the airlines during the check-in timeframe. No way did she have the answers to questions that a NZ employee would have.

As for the *A lounge, they are contract as well - even if NZ manages the LAX lounge on behalf of *A. I wouldn't expect them to know about customer preferences.

BTW, the only staffing difference I found there was when I recently flew F ex-LAX, a couple of people in the uniforms of the airlines who had F pax in the F lounge, came by to let us know gate numbers and boarding times. Not sure if they were employees of ANA, OZ, CA or if contract. In the J lounge, other than the entry desk staff, there were no airline agents that I saw, just boarding announcements.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
As someone who works with big data systems, I'm kinda getting a chuckle out of the expectation here.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by txflyer77
As someone who works with big data systems, I'm kinda getting a chuckle out of the expectation here.
I work for a technology vendor, not in big data so to speak but related. I'm also having a good laugh too! Interesting to see the expectations of customers though.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
in all honesty, what's the point of this thread?!

OP, are you upset that the lounge attendant wasn't aware of your date/time format preference? That's pretty much slap bang in the middle of DYKWIA behaviour, isn't it? :P
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: LH, KL, AB
This has to be (close to) the ultimate first world problem.
No doubt counselling is available to hapless travellers affected by this. OB
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Just moving this thread in a slightly different direction; does anyone have any recent experience with gaining paid entry into the Star Alliance Lounge @ LAX? Myself and a mate are flying back Air NZ Business Class to Auckland, but we're traveling with two other mates who are flying Economy and don't have any Air NZ status. Advice?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Just moving this thread in a slightly different direction; does anyone have any recent experience with gaining paid entry into the Star Alliance Lounge @ LAX? Myself and a mate are flying back Air NZ Business Class to Auckland, but we're traveling with two other mates who are flying Economy and don't have any Air NZ status. Advice?
Sorry, my mistake. My partner just corrected me - looks like you can only take guests on First Class tickets, not Business.

Last edited by KiwiHighFlyer; Aug 19, 2017 at 4:10 am Reason: Wrong info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.