Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Airpoint upgrade baggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ Airpoint upgrade baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Newzealand
Question Air NZ Airpoint upgrade baggage allowance

I booked Auckland to Tokyo Economy then upgraded my 4 family tickets to PE by 220 airpoints each. That was not done immediately until I called AirNZ two times then upgraded manually.

The question is the upgraded A class PE tickets still only give me one check-in baggage. Should the allowance to be standard 2 baggage for PE or Air NZ now only give original class baggage allowance?

I know Gold can have one extra bag but I simply want to know why my PE ticket only show 1 piece Baggage.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've never seen that before.

You get the baggage allowance for the class you're upgraded to.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Always thought PE had 2 bags allocated regardless of status. Tweet NZ, see if they can fix you up with a new ticket that shows the correct baggage allowance. Beats hanging on the phone!

p.s. that's awesome you had 4 people confirmed for upgrades to PE!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:14 am

I'm surprised they allocate 4x A class on a 789. Probably just that route or dates.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've never seen that before.

You get the baggage allowance for the class you're upgraded to.

Nope, it's a "bug". I've had upgraded (confirmed) J showing me as having 0 piece allowance for TT or 1 piece for US long-haul, same for PE (as per above)... even if I re-send the confirmation to my e-mail AFTER the upgrades cleared.

Simply because it's just showing the underlying fare class/basis and showing your ORIGINAL allowance.

I have noticed this since last year on all my confirmations pretty much.

Originally Posted by Flysheep
The question is the upgraded A class PE tickets still only give me one check-in baggage. Should the allowance to be standard 2 baggage for PE or Air NZ now only give original class baggage allowance?
You will get 2x 23kg pieces in Premium Economy (A, E, U, O classes) and 3x 23kg pieces in Business (J, Z, D, C classes and also R, I). Ignore what's listed online or on the e-mail confirmation, it's a backend bug.

NZ Koru, Gold, Elite and Star Alliance Gold will also get 1 extra 23kg piece (upto 3 pieces total) on top of what you are allowed, but that is not shown/printed out (and never has).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised they allocate 4x A class on a 789. Probably just that route or dates.
Because now is only July, I called them and was told plenty "A" class seats available on any April flights to Tokyo, more than 7 or maybe 10.

I can take my wife plus all my kids under 12.

There were such long calls to get upgrade confirmed. Actually, it is supposed to be confirmed "Immediately upon clicking"
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:51 am

I've just checked a couple of my recent tickets with RU and APD upgrades and they're during correctly. It's obviously not a bug affecting every booking.

A7 availability is probably unique to Japan 789 flights due to the lack of demand for Premium seats.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:04 am
Original Poster

I've just checked a couple of my recent tickets with RU and APD upgrades and they're during correctly. It's obviously not a bug affecting every booking.

A7 availability is probably unique to Japan 789 flights due to the lack of demand for Premium seats.
I had a check of R class at Business but ExpertFlyer only showed I class is available without telling me a number.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Flysheep
I had a check of R class at Business but ExpertFlyer only showed I class is available without telling me a number.
R class availability is not shown in GDS.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Nope, it's a "bug". I've had upgraded (confirmed) J showing me as having 0 piece allowance for TT or 1 piece for US long-haul, same for PE (as per above)... even if I re-send the confirmation to my e-mail AFTER the upgrades cleared.
Yep same here, I've had this happen a few times recently and it's been all good at check-in, just a bug they need to fix.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Yep same here, I've had this happen a few times recently and it's been all good at check-in, just a bug they need to fix.
It's been there a while, I had the same issue after an upgrade from economy to BP about 18 months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.