Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand verses United Airlines LAX - LHR

Air New Zealand verses United Airlines LAX - LHR

Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Smile Air New Zealand verses United Airlines LAX - LHR

Hello All.

I will be flying on Air New Zealand flight 2 and 1 this November.

I always wanted to try Air New Zealand but never had the chance until now.

How is Air New Zealand compared to United?

It may be a night and day difference, but I wanted to ask.

Keep in mind I am flying on Economy class 777-300 Skycouch convertible, but didn't pay for it. (Regular Eco)

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
They are both equally cramped in economy (UA has 3-3-3 787 and ANZ has 3-4-3 777). Both have in seat TVs. I find Air New Zealand crews friendly and seem willing to help passengers, but there could be the occasional crew having a bad day. Air New Zealand food generally receives better reviews.

Enjoy Air New Zealand.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: RFC
Believe it or not, the NZ seats in Y are more cramped than in UA. Exit rows are the order of the day, if you can. Everything else will usually be better than UA. 50/50 chance on the crew being tired/grumpy, in which case they will perform at slightly above UA regular level. If the crew is in a good mood then they will be light years ahead of UA on UA's best day.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
(UA has 3-3-3 787 and ANZ has 3-4-3 777).
I flew LHR to LAX return on UA in January, and it was on a 777-200. I was in J, but I recall it being 3-3-3 in Y. Depends on aircraft type I guess, but if it's between 3-3-3 777-200, and 3-4-3 777-300, you'll have plenty more room on UA.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
VS is the way to fly LAX-LHR, IMO.

I guess you are trying to fly *A, in which case, NZ is generally better than UA on the soft product side, while both are equally awful on the coach hard product side.

It's worth putting in a one-up upgrade bid to Y+ if your budget allows.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Believe it or not, the NZ seats in Y are more cramped than in UA. Exit rows are the order of the day, if you can. Everything else will usually be better than UA. 50/50 chance on the crew being tired/grumpy, in which case they will perform at slightly above UA regular level. If the crew is in a good mood then they will be light years ahead of UA on UA's best day.
My experience of the UK based crews has never been great in the past - with the exception of NZ2 a few weeks ago that had some of the best service in BP I've ever experienced.

The fact most are European rather than NZers delivers a very different level of service to NZ based crew.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by sbiddle
My experience of the UK based crews has never been great in the past - with the exception of NZ2 a few weeks ago that had some of the best service in BP I've ever experienced.

The fact most are European rather than NZers delivers a very different level of service to NZ based crew.
Regardless of how you view UK vs NZ Air NZ crews...
the question here is comparing Air NZ's UK crew versus United Airlines on the LHR-LAX route.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
OP stated that they are seated in the Sky Couch row so there is extra pitch but still 10 across seating, so tight width wise (the seat not the OP ). All NZ 777 in Economy are 10 across, the 777-200 were converted last year and the 777-300 were delivered 10 across.
The crew may unlock the Skycouch function, meaning the armrests go all the way up and the seat extension can go up. Of course if there are two other passengers in the row this is pretty much useless unless you can maintain a meditative sitting position for several hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.