Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in AKL - can one head to town from the transit area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold

Hi all,

I'll be in transit in between my Air NZ flights from Buenos Aires and onward to Singapore. The flight from EZE arrives at around 530am and the flight to SIN departs at 1155pm. I'll be in Business Class and will have access to the Air NZ International lounge.

My question is, can I head to Immigration and Customs (to enter the country) after going through Transit Security and freshening up at the Air NZ lounge?

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Thanks for reading!

Cheers!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:45 pm

Arrivals and departures are separate areas. You will access the ANZ lounge after going through the transit desk from arrival section to departure section (lounge is in departure side of things) all of which are located air-side. I don't think you can reverse this and go back to the arrival side of things after a lounge visit and then go land-side
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can't access the lounge on arrival and then exit the airport.

I'm also not sure how AIPs will cope with the fact you're supposed to be in transit. You wouldn't have paid any customs duties in your fare to enter/exit NZ so this may pose issues but somebody else may be able to comment on the current state of this.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:35 am

I have done it myself, but I have picked up my mother from the airport a couple of times before while she was on an 6 hour transit. No issues exiting the airport, just mention on the forms that you are in transit. You will not be able to use the lounge on arrival unfortunately

http://www.layoverguide.com/2015/12/...g-layover.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
There are day use rooms at the Novotel at the airport, bit pricey but worth a look for a quick snooze, gym, shower then into town on Skybus, Uber or fixed fare cheap cabs.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
There are day use rooms at the Novotel at the airport, bit pricey but worth a look for a quick snooze, gym, shower then into town on Skybus, Uber or fixed fare cheap cabs.
Have used the Novotel, I have paid around $140 for day use. Skybus leaves directly over the road from hotel and is ~$NZD36 return, runs around every 15 mins and takes approx. 20 mins
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by eric2011
Have used the Novotel, I have paid around $140 for day use. Skybus leaves directly over the road from hotel and is ~$NZD36 return, runs around every 15 mins and takes approx. 20 mins
40 mins to 60-70 (on a real bad day) depending on traffic
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
40 mins to 60-70 (on a real bad day) depending on traffic
Airport to City traffic has improved with the tunnel, although the SkyBus doesn't use the tunnel.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for the information. I guess I'm somewhat used to the Changi experience where arrivals and departures mix. I also remember using a Senator lounge in FRA before exiting the terminal whilst in transit but that could've been a Schengen thing.

Once again, thank you for the tips. I've contacted the Novotel and they have gotten back to me with day room rates. I've searched for arrival lounges at AKL and haven't come up with anything though I'm quite sure you experts would've already pointed me in that direction if it was available.

I just hope that my luggage will be checked through by the airline. The last time I had an overnight layover from SIN to NAN, I had to pick my luggage up in AKL.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hi everyone,

I just hope that my luggage will be checked through by the airline. The last time I had an overnight layover from SIN to NAN, I had to pick my luggage up in AKL.
should they not check them through there is a storage facility i believe
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in...ggage-services
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Similarly, the Novotel will store bags if you are staying with them.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hi everyone,

thank you very much for the information. I guess I'm somewhat used to the Changi experience where arrivals and departures mix. I also remember using a Senator lounge in FRA before exiting the terminal whilst in transit but that could've been a Schengen thing.
New Zealand Airports operate in away by assuming all arriving passengers are not sterile, and must be re-screened before entering the departure area.

Basically AKL has been setup to meet the requirements from the US, we're arriving International Passengers aren't allowed to mix with departing passengers.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Once again, thank you all for the extra information. Based on all the advice I've received, I've arranged a room at the Novotel for half-a-day use and will leave my luggage there (should it not be checked-through) till later that night whilst I use the Skybus to visit the city. Cheers!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
It could be worthwhile to get an airbnb in the city for the day to rest and have a shower, then explore before getting back to the airport.

Another option is to visit Villa Maria wineries: they have great food and provide education on NZ wines (too early when you land, but an option on your way back from the airport: it is only a 5 min ride from the terminal)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdavido
It could be worthwhile to get an airbnb in the city for the day to rest and have a shower, then explore before getting back to the airport.

Another option is to visit Villa Maria wineries: they have great food and provide education on NZ wines (too early when you land, but an option on your way back from the airport: it is only a 5 min ride from the terminal)
That's a cool option. Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.