Wiki Posts
Search

Using RUs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by taupo
Does this mean that R cannot be seen on Expertflyer?
correct
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
correct
Thanks and darn.
You would think it would be to NZ's advantage to R readily visible so that less people would phone the call centre.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Thanks and darn.
You would think it would be to NZ's advantage to R readily visible so that less people would phone the call centre.
It's to NZ's advantage for folks not to use their RU's and just pay for PE/J.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Last night changed one of my flights coming home from USA. It is in one and a half months. My flight had previously been booked PE with an R upgrade. Call up not expecting any good luck and thought I would have to outright pay for J. Low and behold the flight I wanted to had one R space available - and so I snagged it. Sometimes miracles do happen!
​​​​​​
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Thanks and darn.
You forget the vast majority of customers don't call the call centre and wouldn't have a clue in the world what a booking class was, let alone the significance of R class.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Although interesting I don't think R class changes much for me. Tend to fly the dates I'm booked and so far have been pretty lucky with clearance rates for RU. Then you have those that never use the RUs because they're always flying J anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You forget the vast majority of customers don't call the call centre and wouldn't have a clue in the world what a booking class was, let alone the significance of R class.
I've always wondered how people on the phones view strange customers like us who ring up and go "right... I'd like to check ALL of the R space on all the USA flights." Do they view us as annoying? Do they like the hunt and like getting us on the phone? I'd love to know, haha.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Edit: double post
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes..

Thanks, sbiddle! Call centre cancelled the RU and I've reapplied it to the desired flight (AKL-IAH instead of MEL-AKL)

Last edited by HaaZe; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:47 pm Reason: Added quote and context
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am fairly certain that is correct. If your upgrade doesn't clear at booking, I think the system has specific times that it checks to see if space is available and doesn't just automatically apply R space to existing upgrade requests.

​​​​
Yep have just confirmed that is the case. R class has been released for my flight post me putting in the upgrade (and is still available) but the upgrade wasn’t automatically cleared.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:34 pm

I almost had that cleared up for me when two days ago I booked a flight in late February out of LAX and I got an R space upgrade to BP. I cannot, at all, believe that no other Elites didn't have upgrades sitting and waiting this close out. Someone must have cancelled their R ticket just in time for me to snag it.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Can silver and gold clear into R if they call as well?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Can silver and gold clear into R if they call as well?
No, only Elites can have upgrades cleared at booking/ahead of 7 days. At least that is policy. But I have randomly as a gold have my upgrade clear before 7 days, unsure what happened there.
NZbutterfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.