recognition vs "one up"?

Old Jul 17, 17, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

recognition vs "one up"?

I am a a long standing frequent flyer, currently gold but previously GE. Flying to LA this week. Was told that recognition upgrades get priority over one up upgrades. Requested a one up for my partner and submitted a request for a recognition upgrade for myself. My partner is not a FF. Lucky him, his upgrade came through immediately - 4 days put from travelling. I'm still waiting. Looks like I may miss out on successfully using my RU for the 4th year in a row. Does anyway know what the policy is? Seems to be revenue before loyalty recognition?
Old Jul 17, 17, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Most RU's are not processed until the day of travel. The fact a OneUp cleared suggests there is plenty of availability after spots for RU's have been accounted for.

I'd be very surprised if your RU didn't clear on the day of travel.
Old Jul 17, 17, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Most RU's are not processed until the day of travel. The fact a OneUp cleared suggests there is plenty of availability after spots for RU's have been accounted for.

I'd be very surprised if your RU didn't clear on the day of travel.
that sounds positive, thanks. Still doesn't feel quite right.
Old Jul 17, 17, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I've had instances where the RU has cleared but the staff were not allowed to confirm or print out the boarding pass until he flight has been closed.
Old Jul 18, 17, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ Koru & Silver, Assorted others
One Up always goes first before RU's now.

They say it doesn't happen but I've been on the receiving end NUMEROUS times in the last 12 months. They are after the cold hard cash/Airpoints of OneUp's before RU's.
Old Jul 18, 17, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by flysally View Post

They say it doesn't happen but I've been on the receiving end NUMEROUS times in the last 12 months. They are after the cold hard cash/Airpoints of OneUp's before RU's.
I'm following this thread with interest. airnz keep saying that it's RU first, then One up...this seems to be a really good test case. OP...we are awaiting the final piece of information!!
Old Jul 18, 17, 12:55 am

Until you can provide hard evidence to back this up I'll trust my sources over your comment.
Old Jul 18, 17, 1:05 am

Until you can provide hard evidence to back this up I'll trust my sources over your comment.
I would suggest that the OP should write officially to Air NZ and quote both PNRs and get an official response - certainly could be a commerce commission interest here if falsely advertising about how upgrades are processed.
Old Jul 18, 17, 1:11 am

It should also not be forgotten that there is an advantage in knowing one's upgrade has cleared before arriving in the lounge - many upgrades increase luggage allowance and it's virtually impossible to utilize this once cleared customs.

While there is no 'entitlement' to an upgrade the advertised policy should be followed i.e. RUs should be cleared before any oneups.
Old Jul 18, 17, 1:55 am

Well all-righty then!

Flights in the previous 12 months (as I have noticed this wasn't the case before this): Husband has been upgraded to Business on OneUp when I have RU'd many months before submitting his OneUp. I was declined and had to sit Economy while he was up front (it was long haul - not happy wife).

Given up using RU's and used OneUp's to upgrade which have been granted 7 more days out and selected seat (numerous seat options in business), then while boarding found people with RU's (who had submitted RU long time before my OneUp) trying to find out if they got upgraded and also seeing that pax with RU's being declined over myself with OneUp.

If anyone's wondering why I use OneUp over RU (apart from it actually working) I earn hundreds of AirPoints per month so have not problem using them for OneUp's.
Old Jul 18, 17, 4:42 am

I have nothing to add other than that's not policy. I trust my sources and experiences over 2 examples - of which are the only 2 examples anybody has ever posted on here claiming this happens.
Old Jul 18, 17, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Well I may well be another example waiting to happen as I am still waiting to hear and my partner is chuckling away at his luck, having his one up confirmed. We thought if it was one of us, it would be me getting an upgrade, not him. The next few days will tell, watch this space.
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by drajknox View Post
I would suggest that the OP should write officially to Air NZ and quote both PNRs and get an official response - certainly could be a commerce commission interest here if falsely advertising about how upgrades are processed.
+1. Definitely if people are experiencing this they should write to NZ and make sure they reply back and ensure they are following their own rules and policies let alone their online claims that RUs are always processed first. According to NZ not a single OneUp should be accepted for a flight if there are uncleared RUs
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:17 pm

I have nothing to add other than that's not policy. I trust my sources and experiences over 2 examples - of which are the only 2 examples anybody has ever posted on here claiming this happens.

Your ignorance isnít my problem.

For those more open minded Ė next time youíre in J class just ask your follow passengers (if youíve got the audacity)

At LAX Koru lounge when I asked the reception why my husbandís OneUp had cleared but my RU hadnít they flew into panic, clearly not something they wanted to be pulled up on. It doesnít bother me anyway, I donít mind using OneUp (all my bids have been the lowest they would accept and all been granted). Itís not hard to see whatís happening, profit anyoneÖ
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:52 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Well all-righty then!

Flights in the previous 12 months (as I have noticed this wasn't the case before this): Husband has been upgraded to Business on OneUp when I have RU'd many months before submitting his OneUp. I was declined and had to sit Economy while he was up front (it was long haul - not happy wife).

Given up using RU's and used OneUp's to upgrade which have been granted 7 more days out and selected seat (numerous seat options in business), then while boarding found people with RU's (who had submitted RU long time before my OneUp) trying to find out if they got upgraded and also seeing that pax with RU's being declined over myself with OneUp.

If anyone's wondering why I use OneUp over RU (apart from it actually working) I earn hundreds of AirPoints per month so have not problem using them for OneUp's.
If that happened to me, I would be taking it further, and if they brush it off, taking it to MBIE / Comcom (whoever looks after that stuff) and Consumer etc. It's a direct contradiction to the policy they have clearly stated.

I haven't been aware of any time, personally, that a one up has been processed before my RUs (not to say that it hasn't happened)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: