Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recognition vs "one up"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:49 pm

I am perplexed by this and will be disappointed if Oneups are processed ahead of RUs.

I emailed NZ today requesting that the policy be emailed to me. We shall see.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Still no RU for me. Time is running out and I will be very disappointed if my other half, who isn't a loyal flyer is up front and I'm left behind. Air NZ will not be my favourite airline.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Tbag
Still no RU for me. Time is running out and I will be very disappointed if my other half, who isn't a loyal flyer is up front and I'm left behind. Air NZ will not be my favourite airline.
Considering it's not your day of travel that's hardly surprising. I'm assuming you haven't read the many posts on here explaining how RU's work - if not cleared at T-7 it's pretty unusual for RU's to be processed until check-in. It's no conspiracy, it's simply how it works. The real world reality is the vast % of RU's are not cleared until check-in or the gate.

Load control and premium team don't sit have time to sit there all day every day monitoring every flight continually as they would be a waste of time. RU's will be processed at T-7 typically for Elite's (and occasionally Gold if there are plenty of seats) and then they'll effectively allocate seats for the remaining RU's and clear these at check-in.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Let's hope that's the case, as It wasn't what the Air NZ airpoints consultant told me when I called to enquire. If a "one up" has been confirmed and they're still sitting on mine, I know who'll be missing out if the flight fills up.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Ringing up continually isn't going to improve your changes of an upgrade clearing.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your concern, but I haven't rung. I phoned last weekend prior to requesting an upgrade asking if I was better to put in a RU or a one up, given my partner and I were both hoping to fly business. They told me to use my RU given it was prioritised ahead of a one up. Ha ha!!!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

What happened at the airport?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by C206
I am perplexed by this and will be disappointed if Oneups are processed ahead of RUs.

I emailed NZ today requesting that the policy be emailed to me. We shall see.
And here it is from NZ:

Thank you for your query regarding Air New Zealand upgrades.

Air New Zealand confirms loyalty upgrades prior to OneUp requests. These are viewed in chronological order as follows:
Elite Recognition and Elite Airpoints Dollar (Standby) Upgrades will be confirmed into the available upgrade classes from the time of booking. This can be up to 355 days in advance.
Six days before flight departure, uncleared Elite Recognition and Standby upgrades will be reviewed and confirmed if there are available unsold seats.
Gold then Silver Recognition Upgrades will then be cleared in the same manner.
OneUp offers are considered last.
We won't always be able to confirm upgrades in advance on busier flights. If this is the case, loyalty upgrades will be reviewed and allocated at the airport as usual. These are looked at in tier order if seats are available.

To help us with this process, we recommend you request your Recognition and Elite Airpoints Dollar (Standby) Upgrades in prior to seven days before your flight. We can then be sure that your requests are reviewed prior to any OneUp requests.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Hi TBag. Did your R.U. come through???
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet
Hi TBag. Did your R.U. come through???
I asked in their original thread and they haven't responded there either.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Yes it did come through at check in. Thanks. Still doesn't really answer why his One up upgrade was confirmed a week out. It's happened again for our return trip. His one up had been confirmed and I'm left waiting. I know it's a good sign for me as there must be seats, but If anything happens and the flight fills up, I think it will be me missing out. Oh well, fingers crossed again. Will let you know.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:36 am

The answer as to why a OneUp was cleared but a RU was not until the gate has been explained several times by myself.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The answer as to why a OneUp was cleared but a RU was not until the gate has been explained several times by myself.
However I don't think this is acceptable whatever the excuse given it is not the process advertised. To say they don't have time to check is not in my opinion a reason to essentially give a person using a RU less value (can't check in extra luggage) and more stress when it is supposed to be reward for loyalty and generally has cost significant spend to get.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by C206
And here it is from NZ:

Thank you for your query regarding Air New Zealand upgrades.

Air New Zealand confirms loyalty upgrades prior to OneUp requests. These are viewed in chronological order as follows:
Elite Recognition and Elite Airpoints Dollar (Standby) Upgrades will be confirmed into the available upgrade classes from the time of booking. This can be up to 355 days in advance.
Six days before flight departure, uncleared Elite Recognition and Standby upgrades will be reviewed and confirmed if there are available unsold seats.
Gold then Silver Recognition Upgrades will then be cleared in the same manner.
OneUp offers are considered last.
We won't always be able to confirm upgrades in advance on busier flights. If this is the case, loyalty upgrades will be reviewed and allocated at the airport as usual. These are looked at in tier order if seats are available.

To help us with this process, we recommend you request your Recognition and Elite Airpoints Dollar (Standby) Upgrades in prior to seven days before your flight. We can then be sure that your requests are reviewed prior to any OneUp requests.
I have recent experience with RUs and so will tell you the facts first then my theories on upgrade priority. They differ to what Air NZ has emailed to you which I think is disgraceful customer service.

The facts:
For all these bookings I am NZ *S
- RU request for me using NZ *E gifted RU: AKL to SFO (Feb 2017) P -> PE APPROVED one week in advance
- RU request for me using NZ *E gifted RU: AKL to SFO (Feb 2017) P -> PE APPROVED one week in advance
- OneUp request by my colleague (NZ *S plus Koru): AKL to LAX (Aug 2017) P -> PE APPROVED one week in Advance bid of $460 (before 10% uplift).
- RU request by me using my NZ *S RU: AKL to LAX (Aug 2017) P -> PE PENDING flight is tomorrow, about 10 seats available in PE based on dummy booking.

My opinion:
Based on the above and some of the comments from posters (sbiddle), but contrary to the Air NZ email, I believe and assessment is made T -7 days before the flight where NZ *E RUs, Standby upgrades and OneUps are assessed.

Based on posts and the Air NZ email I imagine it goes NZ *E RU's then Standby Upgrades, then either OneUps or NZ *G RU depending on available. I can't tell if OneUP trumps NZ *G RU.

I believe NZ *S RUs are processed closer to the time. I have been told 3-5 days before the flight by Air NZ contact centre staff but I agree with sbiddle that this is probably done upon checkin or on the day of travel.

This leads me to the conclusion that an NZ *S RU is trumped by OneUp but not a NZ *E RU (even when gifted). I don't know enough about NZ *G RU to comment.

I think this is poor from Air NZ and that processes should be transparent. It is useful for me to know the process so that I can determine if I bid OneUP or if I use an RU. This is important because you can't do both and they need to be applied in advance of a trip. The simple fact that I, and others, are frustrated by this process means Air NZ need to do some explaining.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:44 pm

I'm just amused that people seem to think there is some sort of conspiracy here yet there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

I'm not scared of calling out Air NZ for the many dodgy things they do. In this case I trust both what Air NZ day and my sources.

For the record a silver RU can clear at T -6 days with availability. I know somebody who had this happen a couple of weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.