recognition vs "one up"?

Old Aug 24, 17, 5:30 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KiwiJC View Post
You will need to have your NZ Airpoints number on the booking, and be a giftee of the NZ*E member.
Thanks. Any experience regarding RUs if the first sector is on another *A carrier ? (not an NZ codeshare).

Specifically GMP-HND (OZ), then HND-AKL (NZ) - on one PNR. How would Expedia ticket this? 1 pnr with OZ and NZ tickets numbers fir each segment?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Aug 24, 17 at 5:38 pm
Old Sep 5, 17, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm just amused that people seem to think there is some sort of conspiracy here yet there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

I'm not scared of calling out Air NZ for the many dodgy things they do. In this case I trust both what Air NZ day and my sources.

For the record a silver RU can clear at T -6 days with availability. I know somebody who had this happen a couple of weeks ago.
To that end, both RU's cleared at airport ckin for my recent YVR-AKL and AKl to YVR. I checked online for both flights and was given a PE BP by the system. The ckin person in YVR and ckin kiosk in AKL both gave me BP BP's.

Booked in PE, upgraded to BP. Outbound showed 7 unsold/allocated seats outbound and return 5 seats. This was ascertained through a dummy booking about 24 hours prior to departure so not sure how accurate.

BP full on both flights, PE had two empty. Y was packed.
Old Sep 6, 17, 3:02 am

Programs: NZ *G
The wife and I are on AKL-HND this Friday. Me on my own *G RU, she on my brother's gifted Elite RU. From a phantom booking it looks like there's at least 9 PEs still available. I originally split the booking so I could One-Up her, but decided later the better option was to use an RU so here's hoping they both come through.

Is it pretty common for the upgrades system to be a bit buggy? We can both see upgrade pending on the main bookings page. For the wife, once she clicks through that there's nothing to indicate an RU's been requested. If I click through it doesn't even recognise my booking reference!
Old Sep 6, 17, 5:37 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Honors Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by spikenz View Post
The wife and I are on AKL-HND this Friday. Me on my own *G RU, she on my brother's gifted Elite RU. From a phantom booking it looks like there's at least 9 PEs still available. I originally split the booking so I could One-Up her, but decided later the better option was to use an RU so here's hoping they both come through.

Is it pretty common for the upgrades system to be a bit buggy? We can both see upgrade pending on the main bookings page. For the wife, once she clicks through that there's nothing to indicate an RU's been requested. If I click through it doesn't even recognise my booking reference!
That's normal so no need to worry. That's generally how it shows up when the upgrade has requested. As long as you can see upgrade pending then it's all in the system and ready to go.
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:43 pm

My husband and I actually achieved Silver so have one RU each. We're flying 11/27 LAX-AKL and 12/10 AKL-LAX in PE. Any recommendations on which segment we should use our RUs and which One-up?
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Honors Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by stewart24 View Post
My husband and I actually achieved Silver so have one RU each. We're flying 11/27 LAX-AKL and 12/10 AKL-LAX in PE. Any recommendations on which segment we should use our RUs and which One-up?
I'd apply the RU for the first segment and that way if it doesn't clear you can try again for the way home.
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
I'd apply the RU for the first segment and that way if it doesn't clear you can try again for the way home.
Would that eliminate any option for a One-Up bid? The comments on One-Up trumping silver RU's worries me.
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by stewart24 View Post
Would that eliminate any option for a One-Up bid? The comments on One-Up trumping silver RU's worries me.
There is absolutely no evidence to back up the claims by a couple of posters on here that a OneUp trumps a RU regardless of status.
Old Sep 10, 17, 3:18 pm

thank you! I logged on to request the RU and I have the option of Upgrade Type: "recognition 1 voucher" or "Not Required". Why the "not required" option? or doesn't it matter which option I choose?