Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Booking Air NZ Flight via 3rd party Website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite

Hi Folks,

apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find via searching.

I am interested in an Air NZ flight that is showing as several hundred pounds cheaper on a reputable travel agent site, compared to the Air NZ website. Are there any negatives I need to be aware of regarding using the third party site? Post booking via 3rd party, I'm assuming I'll be able to pull the booking into my airpoints account online providing I have an appropriate Air NZ reference. Once I've done this, would I be able to apply for fixed airpoint dollar upgrades as normal? (I'm Elite)

I suppose another option would be to ring Air NZ and ask them to match it but I'm not sure of my chances here.

any info appreciated.
cheers
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
3rd Party

I have such a booking, does show on my NZ account and is not up-gradable,
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why not just ring Air NZ or use a travel agent?

It's not so much that this 3rd party site is cheaper, it's merely that NZ often offer fare classes in GDS that they don't offer on their own website. Examples of this have been plenty of P class fares to North America over the last year or so.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Airline yield & rate distribution is a complex beast and cheaper rates can be found due to allocations, wholesale pricing and geo pricing. This is why you don't see airlines offering best price guarantees on their website.

if there is another airline ticketing you won't be able to upgrade. This is not likely to be the case if there's only Air NZ on the ticket but I've had numerous Lufthansa issued tickets as the same flights on NZ stock are 4-5k more expensive (in Y)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by NZDavid
This is why you don't see airlines offering best price guarantees on their website.
NZ does - https://www.airnewzealand.com/online-price-promise
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
And claiming on it is a real nightmare. You'll get the credit after you've flown.

The processes for claiming on this when the cheaper fare is shown on the Air NZ website are also very interesting - they tried to argue it's only for cheaper prices on *other* sites, not their own.

I can't actually see reference to this now on the .co.nz website, maybe they've scrapped it.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:43 am

IMHO the major drawback in booking from an OTA is that if you need to change your ticket in any way you have to contact them, and they tend to be less reliable than the airline.

Same thing if there is a schedule change, you'll have to go through the OTA and if you are not satisfied with the rebooking the OTA has very little leeway to accommodate you.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
Two VERY big gotchas with this.
  • On the same day as your purchase, if you find a lower fare on another US based website for the same Air New Zealand journey.
  • Eligible Flights include Air New Zealand marketed and operated. Tickets that include flights marketed and operated by other airlines are not eligible.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
To be upgradeable the travel agent needs to ticket on NZ ticket stock (ticket number starts with 086). If they issue on another airline's ticket stock then not upgradeable. If the itinerary only includes Air NZ flights then it probably will ticket on NZ stock. If other airlines are included in the itinerary then other airline ticket stock might be used.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by thewflyer
Hi Folks,

apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find via searching.

I am interested in an Air NZ flight that is showing as several hundred pounds cheaper on a reputable travel agent site, compared to the Air NZ website. Are there any negatives I need to be aware of regarding using the third party site? Post booking via 3rd party, I'm assuming I'll be able to pull the booking into my airpoints account online providing I have an appropriate Air NZ reference. Once I've done this, would I be able to apply for fixed airpoint dollar upgrades as normal? (I'm Elite)

I suppose another option would be to ring Air NZ and ask them to match it but I'm not sure of my chances here.

any info appreciated.
cheers
I do this all the time, as it can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than booking with Air NZ... No brainer.

Usually issue is sometimes the ticketed carrier may not be Air NZ... So you may miss out on Status and APD.... Being GE, should be ok for the lounges if it's SA carrier.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Depends on the site. If it allows you to view the full airfare rule before you buy--and you are good at trolling through an IATA rule to ensure the baggage, routing, booking class, etc, aren't problematic--go for it. I've booked on expedia.co.nz a few times, simply to save the credit card fees on airnewzealand.co.nz

But I've come close to booking on other sites, but backed away when the fare rules were missing, incomplete, or lacking baggage, Airpoints accrual and the like.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Similar question about booking through NZ vs. an OTA:

Google Flights shows some domestic itineraries that aren't available on airnewzealand.co.nz. Specifically I'm looking at NSN-ZQN. All NZ shows for my date are some nasty double-connections via WLG and CHC, but Google Flights shows a much saner one-stop itinerary via AKL. Yes, there's backtracking, but that's also the only way to get an afternoon departure on the date I need.

I can book it through Expedia and some other OTAs but clicking the link on Google Flights to NZ doesn't work.

I have no experience with NZ—would anyone consider this risky?

I'm not worried about upgrades or crediting the flight to NZ.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Similar question about booking through NZ vs. an OTA:

Google Flights shows some domestic itineraries that aren't available on airnewzealand.co.nz. Specifically I'm looking at NSN-ZQN. All NZ shows for my date are some nasty double-connections via WLG and CHC, but Google Flights shows a much saner one-stop itinerary via AKL. Yes, there's backtracking, but that's also the only way to get an afternoon departure on the date I need.

I can book it through Expedia and some other OTAs but clicking the link on Google Flights to NZ doesn't work.

I have no experience with NZ—would anyone consider this risky?

I'm not worried about upgrades or crediting the flight to NZ.
To book such an option you'd simply book NSN-AKL and AKL-ZQN as a multistop flight on the Air NZ website.

Trying to book NSN-ZQN direct won't give you this option because it's not a logical route to take.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
To book such an option you'd simply book NSN-AKL and AKL-ZQN as a multistop flight on the Air NZ website.

Trying to book NSN-ZQN direct won't give you this option because it's not a logical route to take.
Perfect, thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Question for the Air NZ pros here,
I am trying to book a Air NZ flight to Berlin from LAX via LHR, Google flights is pricing it but I can't find a website to mimic it, the LHR to TXL legs are on BA.
Any website recommendation. something that will allow me to pick each leg. THX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.