Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Booking Air NZ Flight via 3rd party Website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Air NZ Flight via 3rd party Website

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
Question for the Air NZ pros here,
I am trying to book a Air NZ flight to Berlin from LAX via LHR, Google flights is pricing it but I can't find a website to mimic it, the LHR to TXL legs are on BA.
Any website recommendation. something that will allow me to pick each leg. THX
Impossible. NZ doesn't fly to TXL, and they have no partnership with BA. BA also being a member of OneWorld, NZ (a StarAlliance carrier) cannot ticket you through the alliance either.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
Question for the Air NZ pros here,
I am trying to book a Air NZ flight to Berlin from LAX via LHR, Google flights is pricing it but I can't find a website to mimic it, the LHR to TXL legs are on BA.
Any website recommendation. something that will allow me to pick each leg. THX
Try using Skyscanner - it has links to three OTA that show the itinerary as bookable. Make sure you read the fare rules though!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kyanar
Impossible. NZ doesn't fly to TXL, and they have no partnership with BA. BA also being a member of OneWorld, NZ (a StarAlliance carrier) cannot ticket you through the alliance either.
Why do you think this is impossible? A travel agent can certainly pull together an itinerary that includes non-alliance or non-cooperation partner airlines. You might not be able to do it online.

OP. Try using Matrix ITA to see if there is a fare per the example below. If you can't find an OTA, then a decent 'bricks and mortar' TA should able to pull it together.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

??? BA and NZ do have an interline agreement. Go to the AirNZ site and pick say WLG to MAN and see BA options. Sure not a partnership (so no status or FF earning) but still a single ticket so get those protections.

Though the AIrNZ doesn't show all possible flghts but only ones NZ have entered which logically connect with AirNZ flights and only for the more common destinations.
Tag1987 and samyoull like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Why do you think this is impossible? A travel agent can certainly pull together an itinerary that includes non-alliance or non-cooperation partner airlines. You might not be able to do it online.

OP. Try using Matrix ITA to see if there is a fare per the example below. If you can't find an OTA, then a decent 'bricks and mortar' TA should able to pull it together.
You do run a risk when you buy via an OTA (and to a lesser extent, bricks and mortar TA) that during misconnect or IRROPS, the airlines have no incentive to, or obligation to, accommodate you. This is why, to me, an itinerary doesn't exist unless it can be ticketed directly by an airline or in a pinch, a trustworthy TA with a solid reputation for proactively working to resolve issues.

Originally Posted by nzkarit
??? BA and NZ do have an interline agreement. Go to the AirNZ site and pick say WLG to MAN and see BA options. Sure not a partnership (so no status or FF earning) but still a single ticket so get those protections.

Though the AIrNZ doesn't show all possible flghts but only ones NZ have entered which logically connect with AirNZ flights and only for the more common destinations.
That's just an interline, same as UA tickets you on QF metal domestically when flying to the US out of an AU port they don't serve. They also cannot be ticketed from any POS other than NZ (airnewzealand.com.au simply says it's impossible to go to MAN, for example). Not only will you earn no status or points, but you'll be treated by BA as if you held no status with them as well which will not go in your favour during IRROPS as you'll be bottom of the barrel for priority. I'd personally treat that as if it wasn't a thing.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
You do run a risk when you buy via an OTA (and to a lesser extent, bricks and mortar TA) that during misconnect or IRROPS, the airlines have no incentive to, or obligation to, accommodate you. This is why, to me, an itinerary doesn't exist unless it can be ticketed directly by an airline or in a pinch, a trustworthy TA with a solid reputation for proactively working to resolve issues.
Ah, so you do agree that impossible was a poor word choice and based on your personal preferences.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Ah, so you do agree that impossible was a poor word choice and based on your personal preferences.
I'm not picking on anyone, however it is not impossible as I flew this itinerary last year. My question was regarding a OTA that would ticket it. Additionally, I disagree that buying this itinerary through a OTA or Brick and Mortal TA would afford you less protection. I will keep everyone posted. Just waiting for corp. approval for me to take this business trip.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Just FYI: my parents recently saved $350 by booking their return LAX economy Air NZ flights with flight center. They were eligible for Air NZ upgrades so I have put in a PE APD upgrade its a good deal right now.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.

That's just an interline, same as UA tickets you on QF metal domestically when flying to the US out of an AU port they don't serve. They also cannot be ticketed from any POS other than NZ (airnewzealand.com.au simply says it's impossible to go to MAN, for example). Not only will you earn no status or points, but you'll be treated by BA as if you held no status with them as well which will not go in your favour during IRROPS as you'll be bottom of the barrel for priority. I'd personally treat that as if it wasn't a thing.
No real risk in IRROPS - there's clearly defined conventions as to who's responsible for what in these situations through IATA. Having a great travel agent certainly helps though, I'll give you that.

NZ's site will issue 086 tickets with BA segments no problem at all, a quick search for AKL-EDI has the cheapest option routing AKL-NRT-LHR-EDI with NRT-LHR-EDI on BA metal.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by samyoull
NZ's site will issue 086 tickets with BA segments no problem at all, a quick search for AKL-EDI has the cheapest option routing AKL-NRT-LHR-EDI with NRT-LHR-EDI on BA metal.
Try that same search with an origin of SYD or BNE - suddenly you'll find that NZ thinks it's an invalid routing, and that destination cannot be served. It will, however, offer routings where it can reach them using solely *A metal (e.g. Edmonton CA). Even a multistop search cannot be coaxed into offering it, leading me to believe it's likely not offered to the AU POS for regulatory reasons.
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:45 am

Try that same search with an origin of SYD or BNE - suddenly you'll find that NZ thinks it's an invalid routing, and that destination cannot be served. It will, however, offer routings where it can reach them using solely *A metal (e.g. Edmonton CA). Even a multistop search cannot be coaxed into offering it, leading me to believe it's likely not offered to the AU POS for regulatory reasons.
Probably terms in their agreement with BA on AU-European routes, BA used to serve SYD themselves.
kyanar likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
Probably terms in their agreement with BA on AU-European routes, BA used to serve SYD themselves.
BA still flys to SYD via SIN
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
BA still flys to SYD via SIN
So it does. I thought I heard they were canceling that...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses and the feedback.
I was finally able to book the flights I needed through the American Express travel website. I booked the LA to London NZ flights with connecting flights to Berlin on BA from Heathrow.
The usual OTAs didn't work, no matter what I tried. The fare I paid was what I had found on Google Flights.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I'd try cheapflights.com and see if multiple sites are offering simlar fares. Then judge them based on whether they confirm what they quote (often they don't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.