FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Cancelled flights - Travel Insurance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1853235-cancelled-flights-travel-insurance.html)

HighFlyingKiwi Jul 12, 2017 4:18 am

Cancelled flights - Travel Insurance?

Flight to Timaru ex Wellington was cancelled tonight due to the WXX. I had been staying in Whanganui, and had driven down to catch the flight home. Managed to get rebooked for tomorrow evenings flight, as the morning one is fully booked. Had to rent a car and book a motel up in the Hutt Valley as the CBD was booked out.

my question is, the weather tomorrow looking even worse then today, Air NZ still have no obligation to accommodate me for the night correct? Its gonna get a bit expensive if I have to do this a second night :) I have no Travel Insurance, but is that something I could buy now just in case? Haven't had anything to do with it, will TI cover my acommodation tomorrow should the flight be cancelled again?

thanks heaps!! :)

Blackcloud Jul 12, 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi (Post 28550451)
Flight to Timaru ex Wellington was cancelled tonight due to the WXX. I had been staying in Whanganui, and had driven down to catch the flight home. Managed to get rebooked for tomorrow evenings flight, as the morning one is fully booked. Had to rent a car and book a motel up in the Hutt Valley as the CBD was booked out.

my question is, the weather tomorrow looking even worse then today, Air NZ still have no obligation to accommodate me for the night correct? Its gonna get a bit expensive if I have to do this a second night :) I have no Travel Insurance, but is that something I could buy now just in case? Haven't had anything to do with it, will TI cover my acommodation tomorrow should the flight be cancelled again?

thanks heaps!! :)

Highly unlikely as it is a known event, just like buying TI to Bali when the volcano was erupting, this was not covered.

Often1 Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am

You will need to read the policy document carefully. Most policies will include a waiting period or exclude any covered issue which exists or is known to exist at the time of purchase for exactly the reason you want to purchase it. If you wait until it is likely that the insurer will have to pay, it is a bad economic proposition for the insurer.

When you read the document, read it from the perspective of a reasonable neutral outsider and not looking for a way to include yourself.

codyc1515 Jul 13, 2017 1:14 am

NZ has a policy, it seems, to not pay out for instances where there are disruptions due to weather. Does anyone even offer domestic travel insurance?

NZbutterfly Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 28554421)
NZ has a policy, it seems, to not pay out for instances where there are disruptions due to weather. Does anyone even offer domestic travel insurance?

You can buy it from Air NZ or other carriers when purchasing tickets.
AMEX platinum edge has domestic insurance but I think a lot of cc have international travel insurance.
Maybe some other multi trip travel insurance from another provider.

dadig Jul 13, 2017 2:33 am

Policy or not, from my experience Air NZ would only talk about accommodation and alternate arrangements if you are already mid journey. So if you are departing from origin, you will get rebooked but all other expenses will be covered by insurance (watch for policy wording - some have minimum delays). A reminder to make sure to organize alternate arrangements yourself if you choose to accept re-routes

mmonster Jul 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 28554534)
You can buy it from Air NZ or other carriers when purchasing tickets.
AMEX platinum edge has domestic insurance but I think a lot of cc have international travel insurance.
Maybe some other multi trip travel insurance from another provider.

+1
most CC do not have domestic trips covered..... I learnt it the hard way.. kind of...

Sam_87 Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 28550681)
Highly unlikely as it is a known event, just like buying TI to Bali when the volcano was erupting, this was not covered.

Correct. Like insuring a vehicle with a ding in it. Duty of Disclosure.

I think domestic travel insurance is worthless. Covering a hotel once in a while far out weighs the premium you will pay....... Main priority of a insurance policy is the medical and contents, which is not required internally.