Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Christchurch connection: EK A380 to NZ Dash-8

Old Jun 30, 17, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; UA MM

I have searched the threads in this forum as thoroughly as I know how, but I haven't been able to find any advice on the precise question I have. Three friends and I are arriving on the EK A380 from SYD into CHC, due to land at 1:50 p.m. We will likely have checked luggage. We are looking to transfer to an Air NZ Dash-8 to Nelson, departing at 3:10 p.m. Is 80 minutes long enough to make this connection? We are flying business class on the EK A380, if that makes any difference. Thank you!
Old Jun 30, 17, 10:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The MCT is 90 minutes so I presume you will be on separate tickets, hence not connecting. EK most likely won't check your luggage through since it is an invalid connection on one ticket.
Old Jun 30, 17, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I am on separate tickets - one for the EK flight, a different one for the NZ one. It's OK for EK not to check our luggage through; we weren't expecting them to do that.
Old Jun 30, 17, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Technically, you're not connecting in CHC because you're on separate tickets. You end one trip (on EK) and start another trip (on NZ).
Check-in ends 30 minutes before the Nelson flight (i.e. at 2:40), so you'll have less than an hour to get your bags and clear immigration, customs, and quarantine.
Old Jun 30, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
80minutes is pretty risky on an two tickets, just takes the flight to be 30minutes late ex SYD and most of your time in chc will be eaten up.

Look at buying an flexitime ticket on NZ for the next flight, then if you make it in time and there are seats left you can jump on the earlier flight.
Old Jun 30, 17, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

It's quite true that I'm in fact ending one trip and starting another, and I didn't know that the NSN check-in ends 30 minutes prior to departure. Thus, I think I'll take the advice of @cavemanzk and pay the extra $40NZD for the Flexitime ticket for the 4:10 flight ... and that way, if we make the 3:10, and there's room, we can take that flight without a problem. Truly invaluable help - thank you!
Old Jun 30, 17, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Generally Christchurch is super easy and they will let you check in less than 30 minutes before departure especially for regional flights. Arrivals, usually, very fast for customs and immigration.
However the flexitime is a good solution. if you end up having to wait for the 4.10 pm avoid at all costs the awful regional "lounge" (just a holding pen) and make your way up to the proper lounge (koru Club) which is not bad you just need to clear security which again in NZ is easy.

OP, i note you are from USA, if you havent been to NZ before you will be very pleasantly surprised at what a breeze our security is compared to the horror in the USA. Your Nelson flight doesnt even require security!
Old Jun 30, 17, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Generally Christchurch is super easy and they will let you check in less than 30 minutes before departure especially for regional flights. Arrivals, usually, very fast for customs and immigration.
However the flexitime is a good solution. if you end up having to wait for the 4.10 pm avoid at all costs the awful regional "lounge" (just a holding pen) and make your way up to the proper lounge (koru Club) which is not bad you just need to clear security which again in NZ is easy.

OP, i note you are from USA, if you havent been to NZ before you will be very pleasantly surprised at what a breeze our security is compared to the horror in the USA. Your Nelson flight doesnt even require security!
But on the downside, carry on baggage is at a level you will struggle with. As a rough guide, halve what you would normally take on board on a US domestic flight....and even then you will struggle on the Nelson flight.
Old Jun 30, 17, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
But on the downside, carry on baggage is at a level you will struggle with. As a rough guide, halve what you would normally take on board on a US domestic flight....and even then you will struggle on the Nelson flight.
Yes true but it will take about 8 mins to get the checked bags in Nelson!
And aside from anything else it's a trip to experience the Nelson luggage collection!
Old Jun 30, 17, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
The biggest issue is waiting for bags then waiting to clear MPI. This drives me nuts and I have spent 90 minutes waiting in lines. In fact, I wrote to MPI last time I was so angry. I have Apec card and *G but no express lanes in NZ. So, back on topic, you might be stretching your luck. Note, there is no domestic transfer ( in same terminal but different ends....so run fast!). Good luck
Old Jun 30, 17, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markhm View Post
The biggest issue is waiting for bags then waiting to clear MPI. This drives me nuts and I have spent 90 minutes waiting in lines. In fact, I wrote to MPI last time I was so angry. I have Apec card and *G but no express lanes in NZ. So, back on topic, you might be stretching your luck. Note, there is no domestic transfer ( in same terminal but different ends....so run fast!). Good luck
I often arrive at CHC at 14:40 from MEL (after the EK A380 whale) and have not experienced any delays with checked baggage/MPI. 20 minutes is the longest it has taken me to get landside.

Exiting immigration/customs turn right and keep walking to the end of the terminal. It is only a few minutes walk.
Old Jul 1, 17, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ*E
Regardless of weather it is one or two tickets, one still need to pick up all bags from CHC international and recheck in on NZ. Hence, even if you were flying VA or NZ from CHC into Nelson or another ports, the bags will not be checked right through into NZ. Exception would be if you were traveling the other direction, from domestic airport from NZ connecting to an international destination, then you do not need to pick up your bags.

Flexi ticket is always preferred, it is not so much the 80 or 90 mins on the surface, rather, it is what would happen if the EK flight is delayed. You will have no one to turn to when they are on two separate tickets.
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
if you end up having to wait for the 4.10 pm avoid at all costs the awful regional "lounge" (just a holding pen) and make your way up to the proper lounge (koru Club) which is not bad you just need to clear security which again in NZ is easy.

Thanks so much for the lounge tip! We did purchase on the 4:10 and we'll hope for the best. I've been to NZ a few times before, but not since 2010, so I am very much looking forward to returning. (This extra flight is due to the fact that the road from Kaikoura to Blenheim is still closed post-earthquake; usually I've driven around the South Island, not flown!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: