Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL up there with the best?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
AKL up there with the best?

Auckland Airport among best airports in the world
A New Zealand airport has landed a top spot on an international ranking that compares airports around the world for their punctuality, quality of service and passenger rating.

Auckland Airport came in at number nine in the research conducted by AirHelp, which also produces an annual airline ranking.

Top honours went to Signapore's Changi Airport, which had a score of 9.07 out of 10, while Kuwait came in last place with 5.02.

Auckland was the only New Zealand airport on the list and received a total score of 7.80. While it rated highly for punctuality (8.6) and quality of service (8), it was passenger sentiment that let it down with a meagre 3.3.

This reflects previous research that found Kiwis rated the airport as one of the worst in New Zealand, behind Queenstown, Christchurch and Wellington.
Full story on stuff.co.nz
Interesting rating but I do like the fact the report mentions "passenger sentiment is a meagre 3.03."
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I would have put AKL up with the top 10 worst airports
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Just wait till they once again tell us remote stands and long queues at peak times are a sign of a world class successful airport.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
As a premium NZ customer, it is great. Visitors are usually gobsmacked about the NZ priority checkin and VIP passport/security set up. We probably take it for granted. And the NZ lounge is great.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
As a premium NZ customer, it is great. Visitors are usually gobsmacked about the NZ priority checkin and VIP passport/security set up. We probably take it for granted. And the NZ lounge is great.
Leaving AKL is great as NZ HVC - arriving is generally poor - at times no gate, long lines for MAF clearance without express lanes for Priority customers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Agree departure I think is pretty good for NZ or general queue and the lines seem to move pretty fast. Security generally fast. Love scanning boarding pass from phone on NZ.

Arrivals - I love the new 1 step scan your passport instead of the old 2 step get a kiosk ticket then go to next machine which remains in Oz. Getting to baggage is quick but an express arrivals through customs would be good but MOST of the time it is really quick getting out the door even from those lines. When it's awful though it is awful.

I don't quite understand some of the remote gate stuff. We had a 789 remote gate departure AKL-PER while a little Philippine Airlines A320 was on a gate well prior to us boarding and we departed before them. I figured they should have done a swap. Remote gate on arrival to NZ.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Jun 14, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I guess it comes down to Auckland potentially not being as busy as most major airports, and along with that comes less queues and wait times. Auckland arrival immigration is pretty fast compared to most others.

Obviously the current updates are going to be critical to the airport moving forward.

Surprised BKK was voted so badly, although their immigration can be an absolute nightmare when multiple flights arrive!!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:16 pm

Departures from Auckland are a great experience.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Auckland airport is usually very easy to get though, particularly as a premium Air NZ customer. Resonable lounges.

But one of the best airports? Shopping sucks, and there is no really nice food, no great transport network apart from shuttles.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Not to mention the anxiety of Uber pick ups. The premium check in can be overwhelming during busily periods. Was standing for 20 minutes waiting to be served in the Elite/Gold area
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blackcloud
Auckland Airport among best airports in the world
Where is this Auckland you gloat about?
What county?

I have been to an airport up north in the little island that has terminals far far apart. A hike from to the other or a (non) scenic bus trip. No way is the "best", so you must be talking of an airport in a distant foreign land.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Full story on stuff.co.nz
Interesting rating but I do like the fact the report mentions "passenger sentiment is a meagre 3.03."
AKL is a nightmare like awful SYD if changing from domestic to international terminals or vice versa.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by USAoz
AKL is a nightmare like awful SYD if changing from domestic to international terminals or vice versa.
You've got to be kidding right?

A quick 7-8 minute walk between terminals is nothing like SYD where you either need to pay for a train or rely on a bus if you're a connecting customer. I've never once even thought of this being a problem, let alone being a first world problem.

Yes it's not the same terminal but 7-8 mins is less than you spend walking between terminals at many other airports. It's not like Australia where they have a love of building international and domestic terminals on opposite sides of airports.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by USAoz
Really, after living in CHCH and making connecting INTL flights often, the quick 5 min walk is a nice way to stretch legs, even better when your bags are connected through...

Can name a hundred longer walks through terminals than that around the world......
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Hmmmm it does say kiwis rated the airport behind the other NZ airports. Not the best or fairest of comparisons.

Punctuality wise very good and I think service. I have to admit I've seen those smiley face ranking machines but never used them in NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.