Tasman wine choices in business premier

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Can anybody confirm what champagne Air NZ are serving in BP now?

It seems over the last few months they've been offering both Charles Heidseck (which has been their primary champagne for the last 2 years or so since they moved from Mumm NV) and Billecart Salmon on some routes.
yes, those two were on our RAR to AKL flight last week.

Agree also with other comment re. Varietals. Riesling choice should be a no brainer, Gewurtztraminer a nice to have. Kumeu River PG on offer was luscious though. If only I wasn't driving at the other end I would have had a few more glasses!

Btw, possibly had the worst beef dish ever in BP, let alone Y. So tough, very hard to cut...well past medium. First world problems, but jeez...no love from the RAR caterer at all.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Can anybody confirm what champagne Air NZ are serving in BP now?

It seems over the last few months they've been offering both Charles Heidseck (which has been their primary champagne for the last 2 years or so since they moved from Mumm NV) and Billecart Salmon on some routes.
I had Billecart on AKL-LAX a few weeks ago, Charles Heidseck LAX-LHR. Much prefer the Billecart (and it is what CX offers ex.LHR in C). Can't stand the Dulcet served in the back or in the lounges. Exposure to good champagne and prosecco in Europe has made me much fussier than I was. BA's former use of vintage Taittinger and ongoing supply of LPGS in First spoils the tastebuds.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I absolutely love Billecart so hoping it's on my flights on LHR.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Btw, possibly had the worst beef dish ever in BP, let alone Y. So tough, very hard to cut...well past medium. First world problems, but jeez...no love from the RAR caterer at all.
Probably a retired dairy cow.

The standard for beef or any meat in Business Class should be in the form of fillet.

Anything less (ie, cut up little pieces, mince inc. burgers) = meat for masses or Y food
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Taking this thread slightly downmarket / off-topic, how about the Tasman wine choices in Y? I was back onboard this week after a long-ish break, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by both food and wine on my dinner-time SYD-WLG works flight. I thought that the whole point of paying extra for catering was that it would actually be worth paying for?

Dinner was the smallest I've seen since S2S was introduced: some kind of beef dish (the lardy consistency of which almost made me grateful for the incredibly mean serving size), one bread roll (thankfully still warmed), and a modest pre-packaged chocolate brownie.

To drink, there were two red wines: a syrah (I think) that was passable, and a pinot noir that was hands down the most disgusting wine I've ever had on NZ. I think it was a Thornbury, though I may have that wrong. What are others' thoughts on this? Did I just strike a bad bottle?

On my last trans-Tasman flight in VA Y the wine and food was pretty dire, and I remember thinking that it would have been better on NZ. Sadly it seems that NZ has now dropped to VA's level - or even below.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:38 pm

It's been years since I bothered about getting a meal TT. There is a reason so few people now do (pretty common to only be 30% max)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
QF is still leading TT in my view - 3 options with the.thrid being non mean option, ice cream block or ironically Kapiti ice cream at times

I almost never bother with NZ TT dinner - there is just so much mango chicken curry/some regurgitated beef/ one can handle.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by dadig
QF is still leading TT in my view - 3 options with the.thrid being non mean option, ice cream block or ironically Kapiti ice cream at times

I almost never bother with NZ TT dinner - there is just so much mango chicken curry/some regurgitated beef/ one can handle.
'Regurgitated beef' does fairly nicely sum up that particular meal! Up until now, I've had semi-reasonable meals (at least at dinner time) in Works on the Tasman - pretty stingy portions and fairly basic options but at least reasonably flavoursome. It's depressing to think that this is the new standard.

As far as comparisons to QF are concerned, although it's been a while since I've flown them TT I do really appreciate Space+ and the slightly wider and more comfortably designed seats on NZ's A320s vs QF's 738s. I do also like the fact that NZ's usually a fair bit cheaper, and I can choose seat only when that works for me.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by dadig

QF TT Y meal - Pumpkin ravioli or some pasta was the best TT meal in a long time. Much better than
QF TT J - Cold chicken salad on slaw = bad
NZ TT J - Asian lemongrass chicken noodle cold - sounded good on paper = bad
NZ TT J - Slow cooked lamb = average
NZ TT J - Eye fillet - potentially could have been good but overcooked = average
NZ TT J -Michael Meredith Paprika chicken breast - above average given the recent J meals I have eaten.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Don't get me wrong I would try and fly J ex AKL - but the extra 4 hours travel time isn't always worth to get a meal that is comparable to a QF Y meal
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Fast6
They have, but that's the "Fine Wines" program, and it's a bit hit or miss. Perhaps the worst instance of the hit or miss was when they mistakenly put the placards out at each seat but didn't actually have the wines onboard #firstworldproblems .
That particular miss has just happened to me, yet again. On NZ6 now and despite the card (with its amazing reds listed) absolutely none on board. The friendly FA told me “it was supposed to be the Craggy Range Sophia but they forgot to load it”.

The rest of the wine list is pretty indifferent (eg the genuinely poor Brennan B6 Pinot Noir), as it was on NZ102 from SYD. Makes me wonder whether their strategy is to spend up on a few high priced big name bottles while covertly spending less/dropping standards on the rest of the list.

I’m fairly sure the same bait-and-switch happened on my last long haul NZ flight, where the only evidence of their Fine Wines program was the promotional card, taunting me. Was I just unlucky or does this happen frequently?

It would have been nice to have something fabulous to drink to my unexpectedly hitting the lofty heights of Elite on this flight!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:49 am

Seems to be highly coincidental the wine is never loaded.. I've struck it so many times.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Seems to be highly coincidental the wine is never loaded.. I've struck it so many times.
Funny that, I've noticed the same coincidence. I routinely ask, but there seldom seem to be any fine wines loaded these days.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by edmm
Funny that, I've noticed the same coincidence. I routinely ask, but there seldom seem to be any fine wines loaded these days.
What does the CAA have to say about this If they forget to load it, won't the weights and balances be off?

Last edited by nzkarit; Sep 23, 2019 at 3:15 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:40 am

As long as they remember the champers I'm happy. 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.