Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

$25 to get recognition upgrade at airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E

Flying to Australia today via Auckland after regional flight, so I had checked in all the way.

I decided last minute to use a recognition upgrade due to expire so asked the premium check in desk at Auckland to do it for me.

i was told that as I had already checked in there was a $25.00APD fee. In the past when I had got an upgrade at the lounge a few times didn't have to pay this.

what gives? Is it because I got the checkin rather than lounge to do it, or is a new policy?

im *E, not that that should matter.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It never used to be possible to lodge an upgrade once you had checked in.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That was my experience too. These days I opt to check in when to get to Auckland to avoid such situations.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I even had a mate about a year ago who had a bit too much booze in AKL Koru and then decided he should use his upgrades for BP. There was space available but he was told by staff it wasn't possible.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
About four years ago I requested an upgrade at the premium check in at Auckland on a HLZ-AKL-PER ticket and got it. I'd checked in at Hamilton.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:05 am

Back around 3 or 4 years ago I flew LAX-AKL-BNE and applied the recognition upgrade and cleared it instantly at the transfer desk. I already had an Economy boarding pass in hand but that was just tossed as I got the new Business boarding pass.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I was charged the 25$ just a couple of days ago.

Checked in at ZQN to fly AKL and then onto Shanghai.

Economy ticked with an elite upgrade to PE lodged, but, not confirmed.

In ZQN lounge, I decided to use two recognition upgrades and go to BP.
- Lounge staff could not do it, suggested calling the reservation team.
- Called the reservation team. Told it would be $25 fee.
(Fully flexi fares, Elite)
-Sure.. did it. Not confirmed.

In AKL, super helpful staff member at Koru. He happily handed me my Premium Economy upgrade....
I told him about the double upgrade request. He had to make a few calls etc, but, it was quick, and the upgrade to BP came through.

(I feel totally nickel and dimed having to pay a $25 fee to redeem upgrades)
Old May 20, 2017, 12:31 am

Seems a bit rude to impose such a fee. Unlikely to get a response but does anyone know if the fee is still charged even if the RU doesn't go through?
Old May 20, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Although there's anecdotal evidence it was possible previously without fee, given people's experiences now I'd say it's worth lodging the RU prior to check-in to avoid $25. I always thought I was leaving it late lodging it < 24hrs prior.

VA asks you buy a flexi fare just for the 'chance' at your upgrade coming through. No refund if it doesn't and I generally have no reason to buy TT flexi fares, but I knew the upgrades would go unused prior to signing up to the FFP. Pity you can't even gift them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.