Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When a Status Point is not really a Status Point!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite

I have qualified as GE on ANZ for a number of consecutive years usually with many more points than I needed to re-qualify. This year I thought I was on the threshold of re-qualifying and that a Business Class flight WLG to to CDG on SQ would get me there. On discussing it with ANZ I discovered that even though my trip to Paris return will earn over 500 status points (I am only 289 points short) they count for nothing in my effort to re-qualify as GE with ANZ because of the requirement that a certain % of status points must be earned on "qualifying partners". The terminologies used are deceptive. If you think SQ are qualifying partners, as I did, think again.

I figure then that I should use the flights to accrue points with SQ because one flight to NRT return in PE with ANZ will give me the points I need to get there. Otherwise if I leave them in the AIRPOINTS AC they disappear when I requalify right? My anniversary is 1st July.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Yes I agree the the term "qualifying partner airline flights" is very confusing unless you
are a long term member following the programme very closely. Even on their website it doesn't say this is only for the purpose of qualifying for Elite status and no other purposes.

Apparently only the following count as qualifying partner flights:

Cathay Pacific on flights between Auckland and Hong Kong (NZ4992/NZ4994/NZ4993/NZ4995)

Virgin Australia on flights between New Zealand and Australia (NZ7000 series, excludes domestic Australia flights)

United on flights between Auckland and San Francisco (NZ9816/NZ9817)
Old May 18, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Same issue here. They could do with a gauge to show how many qualifying points you have accrued. I thought I had hit the gift level with my recent SQ flight, but no. A couple of Tasmans and domestics got me there but I was really in the dark.
I don't really want to open another *A account with another carrier but perhaps I may need to there is no way I will hit another 1500 status points by the end of the month for the next level of gift. My travel is regular and generally short haul so may not qualify for any status with another *A carrier as the fare clases are quite low..
Old May 18, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
For Elite requalification credit card + Star Alliance earn is grouped together. Of the 1350SP 810 of these must be earned on NZ metal or qualifying partner flights as detailed on the Air NZ website (and listed above). I don't think they're deceptive as it's clearly laid out on the Air NZ website, but you obviously need to read the Air NZ website or your Airpoints T&C to know this.

I guess it's something that could easily catch people out if you've never bothered to actually read the terms and conditions and there is no way to know this split other than calling Air NZ.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-points
Old May 19, 2017, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It used to be the special requirement was limited to Air NZ flights. In recent years as NZ has entered into some revenue sharing alliances, those extra flights have been added. I.e. the requirement is now easier than it used to be.

I agree the terminology Air NZ uses is poor, as is the lack of information in your account status (re)qualification tracker.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: airnz gold
No status

yep, needed 32 points to renew my gold, got 48 status points today on my kiwi credit card , they don't appear on my earnings
Where do they go....
Old May 20, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by macfod
yep, needed 32 points to renew my gold, got 48 status points today on my kiwi credit card , they don't appear on my earnings
Where do they go....
It's pretty clear from the AirPoints T&C that there are a few components to gain/renew status:
- AirNZ operated flights & certain NZ partner/alliance flights
- Star Alliance operated flights
- Credit Card earn

For Silver and Gold, Credit Card earn can only contribute up-to HALF the requirement to gain/renew status. In your case, up-to 405 Status Points can be gained from Credit Card earn, the remaining 405 SP needed to be gained from AirNZ, NZ partner/alliance or Star Alliance flights.

This is already incredibly generous, as no other FFPs around the world offers such a status earning scheme from Credit Card spending.

As for where they go... they will count towards a higher tier - in your case getting to Elite... of course you'll have to requalify for Gold first.

I wish people actually read/understand the T&C before "feeling" they've been let on or mislead... because they're not and these requirements are quite easily accessible from the website.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Kamadan

This is already incredibly generous, as no other FFPs around the world offers such a status earning scheme from Credit Card spending.

The degree of generosity which you refer to is of course relatively dependent upon how much flying one has to do to achieve status with each program independent of credit card spending.

For example according to their website you can qualify United Premier Gold with 50000 PQM or 60PQS (and US$6000 spend if US resident).

However Aegean Miles and More attributes *G I believe with 24000 miles and 4 Aegean segments.

On Air NZ to qualify Star Gold with seat and bag AKL-MEL return flights at 20SP each way you would need 11.25 return trips with is 36720 miles with max additional 450 credit card SP which hardly seems generous given that the flying would have qualified you with Aegean after around 8 of those return flights with no credit card points.

Turkish require 40000 miles (not greatly more than 36270 above with max CC status points also required on Air NZ but no credit card spend component is needed with Turkish programme ) to qualify for 2 years and a need to only earn 45000 miles per 2 years to keep *G for 2 years and allow 10000 of those miles to be purchased.

One of the major issues with the Air NZ program is that the earn is often inconsistent with price paid or distance which is flown. For example I had a ANZ CHC-AKL FlexiPlus segment which cost nearly $300 one way which earns only 10 SP yet I've had shorter cheaper flights which have earned more.

Last edited by drajknox; May 20, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by drajknox
The degree of generosity which you refer to is of course relatively dependent upon how much flying one has to do to achieve status with each program independent of credit card spending.

For example according to their website you can qualify United Premier Gold with 50000 PQM or 60PQS (and US$6000 spend if US resident).

However Aegean Miles and More attributes *G I believe with 24000 miles and 4 Aegean segments.

On Air NZ to qualify Star Gold with seat and bag AKL-MEL return flights at 20SP each way you would need 11.25 return trips with is 36720 miles with max additional 450 credit card SP which hardly seems generous given that the flying would have qualified you with Aegean after around 8 of those flights with no credit card points.

One of the major issues with the Air NZ program is that the earn is often inconsistent with price paid or distance which is flown. For example I had a ANZ CHC-AKL FlexiPlus segment which cost nearly $300 one way which earns only 10 SP yet I've had shorter cheaper flights which have earned more.
If you guys remember SP earn a few years ago before the last revamp, you would earn minimum 30 SP for any trans-Tasman flight. The minimum now is 7 SP and they have reduced both APD/SP across the board. The qualification requirement is the same and the whole programme structure is the same. So for the same anoumt of flying, you used to be able to qualify without a credit card, now you do. So I guess if you think this credit card scheme is generous depends on your history with the programme and if you compared with other programmes as well.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: airnz gold
Thats why there are forums

Some on here get on their soap box and defend Airnz without understanding individuals problems endured by travellers who only travel for their own trips and not business.
I believe in view of all the comments in general on this sight there is a lot of misunderstanding from many travellers.
My last episode was a comedy and Airnz had no idea of what a mess up they made...But, I guess I am only one of millions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.