Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Elite APD upgrade while earning on other airline?

Old May 16, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G

I called Air NZ to move a couple of future flights over to my UA MileagePlus account. One rep said that I wouldn't be able to lodge upgrade requests on those flights. Then I called back, got someone else who said he would keep my Airpoints # associated with the flights but as a "non-accruing" account and I would be able to do so.

Has anyone done this and if so can you confirm that it works? I'd like to earn enough on UA to get a few things on my domestic US flights (specifically free Y+ seating for my long legs!) but don't want to lose ability to sit up front on my NZ flights while I'm at it!
Old May 17, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
I have done this before via the agent without a problem.
has been discussed on here before (can't remember the nomenclature) but the earning and status codes can be different.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Other than having 2 FFP numbers inserted in your booking which NZ definitely can do, as a last resort, keep your NZ number and change it only after your upgrade has been confirmed even as late as in the lounge or at the gate. My experience is unless it's automatically credited, you won't be able to retro claim it as the other programme will tell you R class is not eligible.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Other than having 2 FFP numbers inserted in your booking which NZ definitely can do, as a last resort, keep your NZ number and change it only after your upgrade has been confirmed even as late as in the lounge or at the gate. My experience is unless it's automatically credited, you won't be able to retro claim it as the other programme will tell you R class is not eligible.
Agree with this.

The 2 FFP fields are FQTS (for status benefits) and FQTV (for mileage earning).
Old May 20, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Cool. I'm going to find out if UA can do this too when I'm in the reverse situation...
Old May 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Cool. I'm going to find out if UA can do this too when I'm in the reverse situation...
You can only have one FF# in the reservation for UA. However, if you have *G status (from ANZ for example) but are using your UA FF# for the reservation then you should be able to show your *G card for Priority check-in and to access the UA lounges on the days of your flights.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
How do you get a *G card if you are an Air NZ Elite flyer. They don't issue physical cards any more.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ellice
How do you get a *G card if you are an Air NZ Elite flyer. They don't issue physical cards any more.
Your Air NZ Elite card is enough - that little logo bottom right on your card with GOLD written underneath = star gold. That's all you need to show. Do you have this?
Old May 21, 2017, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Your Air NZ Elite card is enough - that little logo bottom right on your card with GOLD written underneath = star gold. That's all you need to show. Do you have this?
I do have the card with Gold written in the corner. However when I enquired with the call centre they said that if I'd elected to accrue the miles with Kris Flyer then when I used my boarding pass to get into the lounge it would flash up that I didn't have the status to enter via Kris Flyer. Then they would ask me for my FF card and swipe it. Once they swiped it then the points would get credited to NZ FF program not Krisflyer. I think it's getting all too hard to credit to Krisflyer.

At the same time I'm rather put off NZ by this saga, especially if what the call centre is advising me is true, that you have the status for that flight that your miles accrual is going to and that your Star Alliance Gold status does not work in this instance.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It will be very interesting to know if this is actual policy or simply a CSR who doesn't fully understand FQTS / FQTV
Old May 21, 2017, 1:51 am

I spoke to a second call centre representative who also confirmed across the whole star alliance that the rules have been tightened recently so that you can't claim mileage on one program and use another program's benefits. He said the rules around Star Alliance Gold had been loosely applied. I said yes my understanding of the program had been you could enter a lounge if you had an NZ ticketed fare and you are Star Alliance Gold. He said it was different now. I said they really should send out something to FFs explaining this as they have moved the goal posts.

He confirmed you would still get in the lounge but when they ask for your NZ FF card because your boarding pass is not indicating you can access the lounge, then swipe the card, (if they do that), then it will change the booking back to mileage accrual under your NZ FF account. (that could screw up your travel FF mileage strategies). I guess I better check where Priority Pass lounges are offered...
Old May 21, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm not sure there is a need to send anything out - that's just going to confuse the 99.8% of customers who have no idea what FQTV/FQTS is.

At the end of the day people who did this really were just exploiting the system, and maybe there were just far too many people doing that. There were no real legitimate reasons for needing to split this.

I guess it's going to be interesting now for people who bank a year and then credit to somebody else for status.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:13 am

Couldn't you enter the lounge and then call the relevant call centre to change the accrual program?

I think it was a good idea ringing the call centre a second time - when you did how did you approach the call - did you just ask for the separate loading of FQTV and FQTS or did you tell them what the other person had told you. Many who don't know will rely on what someone else has said as they assume that it's correct. I once had an issue which I must have discussed with 5 different Air NZ CSOs (at least 3 of whom were Premium team including a Premium Team Supervisor) and they all told me I was wrong before they later admitted I was right when then eventually read the web pages I referred them to and realised there had been a change which they hadn't specifically been informed about. It was great to get an apology!

In any case I think the way Star and airlines market Gold I believe you should be able to use Gold benefits while accruing to another Star program - if they are no longer going to do this there is a significant amount of clarification of marketing collateral which needs to take place.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ellice
I do have the card with Gold written in the corner. However when I enquired with the call centre they said that if I'd elected to accrue the miles with Kris Flyer then when I used my boarding pass to get into the lounge it would flash up that I didn't have the status to enter via Kris Flyer. Then they would ask me for my FF card and swipe it. Once they swiped it then the points would get credited to NZ FF program not Krisflyer. I think it's getting all too hard to credit to Krisflyer.

At the same time I'm rather put off NZ by this saga, especially if what the call centre is advising me is true, that you have the status for that flight that your miles accrual is going to and that your Star Alliance Gold status does not work in this instance.
Actually I just remembered, I did fly SQ WLG-CBR March? bought from SQ, credited to SQ but I entered the Air NZ lounge in Wellington March this year and it flashed up some sign and the lady entered my NZ # somewhere on the computer. Never reprinted the boarding pass but it accrued to SQ fine and I was only blue no status with them. Not quite the same but if you enter the lounge, have a bite then just leave enough time to ask them at the lounge to change the earning to SQ then I can't see you've got anything to lose. You've had your eats etc and if they say no then you're still getting APD even if you don't need the SP, and if they say yes - then you get to accrue to SQ. If it's a business class ticket then it's irrelevant, you've got access anyway no matter who you credit to. When accruing to VA I've asked them to reprint the boarding pass so I would have proof if the flights didn't accrue to VA (flight accrual needs to be kept an eye on in the VA program). Personally I think the better SQ aircraft fly from AKL and CHC rather than the capital express plane but it still gets you from A to B etc.

Anyway I'd just leave it until you were in the lounge. If things have tightened up and you can no longer accrue to other *A airlines while entering the lounge without the partner status then you need to decide if you can forego the benefits until you reach status (need to be confident you will reach it though).

Why don't you consider VA as a back up. They have family pooling so you could get your partner to credit both status credits and points to you. You can still funnel that through to SQ easily and you can gift flights etc to your partner. Need 500 sc the first yr then only 400 sc for gold and 4 eligible sectors - need to buy 4 flights from VA but can still be NZ metal. Even if you did one trip say WLG-BNE-xxx as a return then you'd have your 4 eligible sectors in one trip. I have to admit the points earning isn't as much if you buy NZ tickets then accrue to VA but I consider it to be better than nothing?? I use it for EY, NZ and SQ really.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:38 am

Thanks NZ Butterfly for the suggestions, I'll have to give those some thought. I was really only wanting to accumulate some krisflyer miles to use for award redemptions for travel, rather than for krisflyer status. I find it pointless accumulating more and more status points on NZ so I can get one of their gifts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.