Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Heathrow - NZ Upgrade strategy help please

Old May 16, 17, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ GE

Hi all

I'm just about to book LHR - CHC. Departing LHR on either 30 or 31 May.

I'm currently Elite needing a few status points by 1 June 2017 to retain status (which I will get). I think that means by 31 May in reality.

I have no upgrades left - and only about 508 "shairpoints' including the 400 advance (two accounts linked to that).

I see the Elite Airpoints upgrade is A220 for each leg to PE - presumably that is my best approach (assuming shairpoints will work)?

I guess also thinking about departure date from England - the 31st is better as it will give me status points for the next qualifying period (based on being 1 June in NZ at departure), rather than wasted ones up to 31 May??

Am I missing any tricks here...

Many thanks and apologies if dumb questions
Old May 16, 17, 4:19 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I wouldn't leave it that close but you could always make a case noted in your account that you have an upcoming flight that qualifies your retention of Elite.
Old May 16, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Just remember you'll also need to pay another 73 in UK departure tax which has to be paid for by credit card once the upgrade is approved (which will be at the gate it clears then).
Old May 17, 17, 4:13 am

Programs: NZ *G
Don't forget that once you re-qualify your extra points will rollover (up to a cap you don't have to worry about) so not be lost. I'd go 30 May if you need these points to re-qualify but agree talking to NZ might help if 31 May suits you better, as NZ could give you the extra day.
Old May 17, 17, 5:25 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Just remember you'll also need to pay another 73 in UK departure tax which has to be paid for by credit card once the upgrade is approved (which will be at the gate it clears then).
Just on this: I have always paid this at the desk at LHR, which is not always convenient. Is it possible to pay this via CC over the phone in advance of the travel day, provided upgrade is already confirmed?
Old May 17, 17, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ GE
Many thanks for the good advice