Wiki Posts
Search

Any reason to increase oneup?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Any reason to increase oneup?

I got one of those "We are reviewing flight upgrade requests and noticed you have made a low offer for your flight..." OneUp emails for SFO-AKL. Does anyone have any data on what the best move is here?

I *didn't* get one of these emails for an AKL-IAH flight where I had made a higher offer that didn't clear, which may or may not mean anything.

On a quick look at the seat map (just looking as if I were buying a new ticket) there are 37 open Y seats, 9 in PE and 6 in J.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Well it's all anecdotal so it's hard to offer data-backed advice.

On one hand, it's pure profiteering to incite you to up your bid. On the other hand, if everyone else who gets that email stays put, then an extra 10NZD could be what pushes yours to the front.

My advice would be to make a trivial increase.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I would say SFO-AKL should be easier to clear compared to AKL-SFO. Seems Y-PE are more likely to clear compared to PE-J

Check the one up success rates thread for data points
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

I just received one of those "We are reviewing flight upgrade requests and noticed you have made a low offer for your flight..." emails for a flight I have next week AKL to LAX. I made a low ball $350 offer with Airpoints, not expecting to get upgraded.

I currently have 2 seats in Y, and there is zero availability in PE (it's sold out) so I'm guessing these emails just go out to everybody regardless of the chances of actually scoring an upgrade.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by Erasmus III
I just received one of those "We are reviewing flight upgrade requests and noticed you have made a low offer for your flight..." emails for a flight I have next week AKL to LAX. I made a low ball $350 offer with Airpoints, not expecting to get upgraded.

I currently have 2 seats in Y, and there is zero availability in PE (it's sold out) so I'm guessing these emails just go out to everybody regardless of the chances of actually scoring an upgrade.
there may be PE passengers that upgrade into J so PE seats may become available at check in or at the gate but in general AKL to LAX the premium cabins are generally always sold out - so upgrades can be scarce and GE will have priority over oneups.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm really surprised there are so many people in here using OneUp's still. Considering the number of Elite's now I just assumed everybody knows one. 🙂
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm really surprised there are so many people in here using OneUp's still. Considering the number of Elite's now I just assumed everybody knows one. 🙂
I don't know one ☹️
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:51 pm

me neither
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Originally Posted by Shelleybgood
I don't know one ☹️
Originally Posted by buriburi123
me neither
Maybe you could get the lounge meets thread up and running and change that?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Please forgive the possibly stupid question but why does knowing an Elite mean you can avoid OneUps?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Maybe you could get the lounge meets thread up and running and change that?
Pretty sure... asking a NZ Elite to lodge an E-APD upgrade, then somehow getting paid back in real-world money, is against Terms & Conditions/Rules of the Airpoints programme?

That or it falls into a very grey area...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by kiwisflying
Please forgive the possibly stupid question but why does knowing an Elite mean you can avoid OneUps?
NZ Elite members have the ability to lodge "Elite Airpoints Dollars Upgrade" (commonly abbreviated as E-APD around here), which are fixed costs upgrade to go from Y to PE, or PE to J (1 cabin class upgrade only for all long-haul routes, with the exception of short hauls).

These upgrades also takes priority over any OneUps, even if you are the lowest Jade member.

They also cost less than the starting minimum bid allowed for OneUps (with the exception of TT short haul Y->J, with OneUps starting at NZ$200 usually).

On international long-haul routes:
Y -> PE = 220 Airpoints Dollars
PE -> J = 480 APD

On Trans Tasman short-haul routes:
Y -> PE = 100 APD
PE -> J = 150 APD
Y -> J = 250 APD

The only time a NZ Elite would contemplate OneUp over E-APD is for the aforementioned TT short-haul Y->J at NZ$200 instead of 250APD, and most often cleared as well.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
NZ Elite members have the ability to lodge "Elite Airpoints Dollars Upgrade" (commonly abbreviated as E-APD around here), which are fixed costs upgrade to go from Y to PE, or PE to J (1 cabin class upgrade only for all long-haul routes, with the exception of short hauls).

These upgrades also takes priority over any OneUps, even if you are the lowest Jade member.

They also cost less than the starting minimum bid allowed for OneUps (with the exception of TT short haul Y->J, with OneUps starting at NZ$200 usually).

On international long-haul routes:
Y -> PE = 220 Airpoints Dollars
PE -> J = 480 APD

On Trans Tasman short-haul routes:
Y -> PE = 100 APD
PE -> J = 150 APD
Y -> J = 250 APD

The only time a NZ Elite would contemplate OneUp over E-APD is for the aforementioned TT short-haul Y->J at NZ$200 instead of 250APD, and most often cleared as well.
Thanks for that. I get how that all works I just didn't understand how "knowing" an elite would help out if you weren't one yourself.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kiwisflying
Thanks for that. I get how that all works I just didn't understand how "knowing" an elite would help out if you weren't one yourself.
Oh yeah, that important detail...

NZ Elites can also gift RUs or E-APDs to those on their gifting register, so knowing an Elite means, you can ask them (nicely perhaps) to lodge an E-APD upgrade for you, and said upgrade will take precedence over any OneUps.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Due to this being heavily exploited it's also one of the reasons the ability to buy Airpoints Dollars with OneSmart was not carried over from the BNZ to Travelex product.

It wouldn't surprise me to see further clampdowns on this as it's now only available on the Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card... On the other hand maybe they'll see it as a selling point for the KB cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.