Wiki Posts
Search

Any reason to increase oneup?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Oh yeah, that important detail...

NZ Elites can also gift RUs or E-APDs to those on their gifting register, so knowing an Elite means, you can ask them (nicely perhaps) to lodge an E-APD upgrade for you, and said upgrade will take precedence over any OneUps.
OK, this is great to know. Just about to book flights to and from Tokyo and have booked the better half up the front (work pays) and me down the back (I pay). Was planning on using RUs to hopefully join her but this sounds like a more reliable method.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Pretty sure... asking a NZ Elite to lodge an E-APD upgrade, then somehow getting paid back in real-world money, is against Terms & Conditions/Rules of the Airpoints programme?

That or it falls into a very grey area...
I'm not too fussed what other people get up to but that NZ meet thread is pretty dead compared to some other airlines forums.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kiwisflying
OK, this is great to know. Just about to book flights to and from Tokyo and have booked the better half up the front (work pays) and me down the back (I pay). Was planning on using RUs to hopefully join her but this sounds like a more reliable method.
Mmm, sounds like you might be getting the upgrade methods confused as you said you were planning on using RUs. E-APD and RU get evaluated way above One-Ups, and they're either roughly or exactly equivalent to each other in terms of priority.

The only reason you should ever put in for a One-Up is if you have no other upgrade path at your disposal.

However, and now we're veering off-topic as this thread is about increasing One-Up bids, if your better half is Elite, then yes, you should be on her gifting register, and she should apply for an E-APD on your behalf. This is a slam-dunk if you're traveling together as in that case, your E-APD will be evaluated at her Elite status instead of your Silver (per your profile). If you were traveling alone, she could lodge an E-APD for you, but it'd be evaluated at your Silver level, which is pretty low on the totem pole.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I still find it amusing this is all a purely luck and even less than a lottery as the odds are not even known - such situations make it non zero sum given the imperfect information and possible coercions
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Originally Posted by Fast6
Mmm, sounds like you might be getting the upgrade methods confused as you said you were planning on using RUs. E-APD and RU get evaluated way above One-Ups, and they're either roughly or exactly equivalent to each other in terms of priority.

The only reason you should ever put in for a One-Up is if you have no other upgrade path at your disposal.

However, and now we're veering off-topic as this thread is about increasing One-Up bids, if your better half is Elite, then yes, you should be on her gifting register, and she should apply for an E-APD on your behalf. This is a slam-dunk if you're traveling together as in that case, your E-APD will be evaluated at her Elite status instead of your Silver (per your profile). If you were traveling alone, she could lodge an E-APD for you, but it'd be evaluated at your Silver level, which is pretty low on the totem pole.
Yes sorry was definitely not meaning I'd use One-Ups. Was meaning I'd go for a gifted elite upgrade over RUs. Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
I got one of those "We are reviewing flight upgrade requests and noticed you have made a low offer for your flight..." OneUp emails for SFO-AKL. Does anyone have any data on what the best move is here?

I *didn't* get one of these emails for an AKL-IAH flight where I had made a higher offer that didn't clear, which may or may not mean anything.

On a quick look at the seat map (just looking as if I were buying a new ticket) there are 37 open Y seats, 9 in PE and 6 in J.
In March I made a C$525 bid for PE to J. Zero airline status.
Received the email asking to increase and ignored.
Upgrade cleared roughly four days prior.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints-Silver and Koru
Can you please explain how you get to see the whole seat map-each class? I can only ever see the class I am booked in. This is unlike on Virgin Atlantic where I can see a map of each class, not just the one I'm booked on. Many thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by flyinggato
Can you please explain how you get to see the whole seat map-each class? I can only ever see the class I am booked in. This is unlike on Virgin Atlantic where I can see a map of each class, not just the one I'm booked on. Many thanks.
Just make a booking on the Air NZ site. It will let you see the seat map before it asks you to pay so you don't actually need to complete the booking.

If you're in Y you can check PE and BP seating by just selecting that fare to see the seat maps.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
There are a few methods:

You can make a dummy booking on Air NZ and note the seats available (in each class) - but this depends on status as not all seats are available are visible. In any case some who have booked may not have selected a seat.

Some 3rd party travel websites offer a 'view the cabin' option which queries the seat map.

A subscription to a tool such as KVS or ExpertFlyer allows querying of loads (for numbers) and seat maps.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints-Silver and Koru
Thank you for that.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
On my recent trip AKL RAR AKL I put in low-ball Y-->PE bids for two of us on each flight. Got both the "dude that's a low bid" emails and didn't change bids. Outbound we were told a few hours before departure there would be no upgrade; inbound our upgrade was confirmed the morning of departure,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.