Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Multi hour connection in Rarotonga. Good day hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Dear all,

I booked LAX-RAR-AKL, with about 9 hours on the ground. Any suggestions for a good day room (where I can also relax by a pool/ ocean)? Is a rental car recommended?

Not looking for a cheepo place!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Try the Islander across the street from the airport.

If you want to explore the island, then a rental car is advised.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Islander day room rate is NZ$155. I'd considered doing the same as you a few weeks' back.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
I've stayed there during longish layover at RAR. Not a bad place - right on the ocean (well, what's not in RAR?), decent (if overpriced) bar. Very convenient to the airport, not as convenient into town.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the Feedback. Is the island worth a visit? I simply put the stop in there because it's on my bucket list. But I can reduce it to just a connection easily.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by zrs70
Thanks for the Feedback. Is the island worth a visit? I simply put the stop in there because it's on my bucket list. But I can reduce it to just a connection easily.
I'm not sure what sort of traveller you are, but if I had the chance to have that amount of time in RAR (I've been there a few times), I would ditch your bag, hire a bicycle and ride around the Island wearing nothing but shorts and t shirt and carrying nothing but your camera and some NZD, enjoying the occasional beach stop with beer or cocktail.

I can't really imagine a nicer way to enjoy a stopover!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgieNZ
I'm not sure what sort of traveller you are, but if I had the chance to have that amount of time in RAR (I've been there a few times), I would ditch your bag, hire a bicycle and ride around the Island wearing nothing but shorts and t shirt and carrying nothing but your camera and some NZD, enjoying the occasional beach stop with beer or cocktail.

I can't really imagine a nicer way to enjoy a stopover!
Great idea! Can one get a bike at the airport?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by zrs70
Great idea! Can one get a bike at the airport?
I would contact Ride Rarotonga and see if they can meet you there.
Oh, and I second the suggestion, great way to while away some hours.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Raro is definitely worth a visit; one of the most beautiful islands in the world. While I suggest a stay of several months (!), you can see a decent part of the island in a day. In my experience, it's not hard to rent a motor scooter directly at the airport. Islander Rentals is across the street, and most other companies will arrange to meet you there.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by LGACIC
Raro is definitely worth a visit; one of the most beautiful islands in the world. While I suggest a stay of several months (!), you can see a decent part of the island in a day. In my experience, it's not hard to rent a motor scooter directly at the airport. Islander Rentals is across the street, and most other companies will arrange to meet you there.
Their scooter laws have changed - it actually is much more difficult at the moment (and much more expensive to get a license). Either rent a car or a bicycle but note that they have been running out of available cars (at least that was the case when I was there last month).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Their scooter laws have changed - it actually is much more difficult at the moment (and much more expensive to get a license). Either rent a car or a bicycle but note that they have been running out of available cars (at least that was the case when I was there last month).
Probably no need to remind regulars to check their insurance coverage. Trap for the unwary and unlucky.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I highly recommend Raro Tours - they offer really good cultural, historical and food tours of Raro. They could pick you up from the airport and drop you back (or somewhere else on the island)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Raro is awesome. The only constraint you have is that the lounge doesn't have a shower, from what I recall. The NW coast is really close to the airport and is the best place for sunsets. SW coast has the best snorkelling (near the Rarotongan). The SE coast as Muri lagoon, but there are reports that bacterial counts are unacceptably high. NE coast is probably the least interesting.

NW hotel recommendation: Sunset resort
SW hotel recommendation: Rarontongan (or its Sanctuary sister property)
SE hotel recommendation: that eco resort place (but they have no AC)

I'm not saying these have day rates...just my recommendations.

Full throttle on a scooter takes less than an hour to fully circumnavigate the island. It's tiny. Just get transfers when you book your day room and enjoy the vibe.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Raro is awesome. The only constraint you have is that the lounge doesn't have a shower, from what I recall. The NW coast is really close to the airport and is the best place for sunsets. SW coast has the best snorkelling (near the Rarotongan). The SE coast as Muri lagoon, but there are reports that bacterial counts are unacceptably high. NE coast is probably the least interesting.

NW hotel recommendation: Sunset resort
SW hotel recommendation: Rarontongan (or its Sanctuary sister property)
SE hotel recommendation: that eco resort place (but they have no AC)

I'm not saying these have day rates...just my recommendations.

Full throttle on a scooter takes less than an hour to fully circumnavigate the island. It's tiny. Just get transfers when you book your day room and enjoy the vibe.
I've showered in the Raro lounge in the past, so I believe it does indeed have a shower (unless they have made it inoperational). The toilet on the right has a shower in it, the one on the left does not.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Good to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.