Wiki Posts
Search

Weather diverts 5th April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Weather diverts 5th April

I don't know if anybody was flying last night but once again the weather turned everything into a disaster zone. I flew from WLG to AKL for a day trip and the plane gods were on my side when I changed to the 1730 flight back earlier in the day.

447 at 1730 ended up being the last flight from AKL - 449 at 1800 was delayed and the 1900 cancelled. Lots of pax moved as a consequence and the flight ended up being chokka. Obviously catering weren't expecting a full flight so WW III nearby broke out down the back as the cheese ran out.

449 ended up leaving well after 1900, flew to WLG where the airport was then closed due to the ILS failure and ended up back in AKL. This then meant the other flights to WLG were cancelled as well and apparently accommodation was virtually non existant.

I felt sorry for the crew on my flight who were on standby and had been called in last minute. They were flying 447 and then paxing back on the next flight to AKL.. Which never happened. I guess it goes to show you should always be prepared for the unexpected whenever you hop on a plane.

Air NZ deserve to present the pax of NZ5788 a certificate - their CHC - ROT flight ended up being just over 3hr45 long as it flew to ROT, circled for some time and then had to divert back to CHC. I'm sure there is some sort of UN torture convention that was broken forcing people to spend that long on an ATR! That must have been getting very close to maximum range for the plane with pax (and clearly lots of fuel) on board.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:40 pm

From what I can gather it wasn't an ILS failure per se but the drains blocked under it and was causing reflection of the radio signals for the glide slope.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
NZ842 was diverted QF163 was the only plane that landed post midnight. When it landed in AKL before midnight all hotels were booked and they were handing vouchers and mats for people to camp in the airport. I'm not even sure what insurance policy would have helped because all accommodation was fully booked.

One HVC behind me proclaimed loudly he would be able to get accommodation in town and was rallying people as he 'travelled frequently' (If you are on this forum, we can meet at another more social time). I've just went straight to family home out of convenience and tiredness to discuss with anyone.

Last edited by dadig; Apr 5, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:56 am

Thought you might have been exaggerating when saying there was no places available to stay but checked a few websites (hotels.com, airbnb) and there is literally nothing available. Crazy!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I took NZ677 AKL-DUD and I got to AKL Dom lounge about 1430. It was already packed. By the time 1630 came around (and all the delays/cancellations), there wasn't even much standing rooms left!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Fortunately the flight disruption was only a few hours, unlike 29 March.

But yes there have been several occasions this year when all accommodation in AKL/WLG has been full and no rental cars available either to drive further afield.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
My earlier question - does anyone know what course of action if they have actually insurance cover and there really isn't any alternative options?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by dadig
My earlier question - does anyone know what course of action if they have actually insurance cover and there really isn't any alternative options?
http://wellingtonnightshelter.org.nz/ ?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:56 am

take a taxi to the next town with accommodation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.