Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ever been stopped while boarding at the gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been stopped while boarding at the gate?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by bce1
Or 'X' means you have 2 data points (name, dob, country of birth) in common with someone on the watch list - you automatically get an X every single time and you have to be visually checked by a CBP agent against the watch list.
Three data points mean I always get "special" attention. Even though it is not me they are after!
Never use the machines on arrival to the US as it is a waste of time.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by yotty
As mentioned if it was a new ESTA you can't use the kiosks. Next time it should be fine.

But even when you do end up successfully using the kiosks, you'll still end up talking to a CBP agent.

The US don't use anything remotely close to SmartGate, the kiosks don't even read your passport chip.
That is now outdated . Even on a new ESTA you still use the kiosk. Previously you could only use the kiosk f you had previously entered the US on the same passport and ESTA.

The only thing that annoys me in that at SFO returning ESTA visitors can head right and use the US citizens kiosks and screening. At LAX you can't.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Three data points mean I always get "special" attention. Even though it is not me they are after!
Never use the machines on arrival to the US as it is a waste of time.
I don't know about other airports but at places like LAX you have to use the kiosk.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:58 pm

Secondary screening has always occured at AKL for US flights. A few years ago you used to have to show your passport and boarding pass again before you got to the gate and randomly selected people on each flight were marked on their manifests to undergo this.

I'm guessing that process has changed now.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I don't know about other airports but at places like LAX you have to use the kiosk.
Not with an APEC card.....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Not with an APEC card.....
best thing ever for the business traveller- to skip all those long tourist immigration queues.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The passport check at AKL was just to make sure your ESTA/visa is in order, it had nothing to do with the X on your receipt when entering the US.

As for the X, there are a lot of reasons why you could get it. Every APC receipt has a 2 letter code that explains the result. Codes that require additional scrutiny by a CBP officer give you the X. The codes are:

PG = Passage Granted
ER = Enforcement Referral (you're on a list)
DR = Declaration Referral (you answered yes to any customs declaration question)
AP = APIS Problem (your name wasn't found on the manifest of any arriving aircraft)
EA = Entry Authorization (you inserted a non-US or Canadian passport and don't have a valid ESTA or visa)
BF = Biometric Failure (your fingerprints don't match, or this is your first time visiting and CBP doesn't have your fingerprints on file)
CD = Check Documentation (your passport is expiring in less than 6 months, or you inserted a US passport or green card and the kiosk couldn't verify its validity)
TR = Technical Referral (miscellaneous issues, or kiosk not working properly)

Even if you get Passage Granted and no X you still have to see a CBP officer to talk about your trip, though you will usually be processed much more quickly than if you did have an X. The purpose of the kiosks is to automate the process of taking fingerprints and checking your passport against ESTA/visa, API, and watchlist data. The kiosks don't replace the screening done by CBP officers, rather they allow officers to focus more on the parts of the screening that can't be done by a computer. The only way to get a SmartGate style experience in the US and avoid talking to a human is with Global Entry.

Last edited by Kumulani; Apr 4, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:44 am

The APC just rejects me with a message that the passport isn't valid for long enough whenever I try to enter with a passport that has less than 6 months to run. Oh well, APEC card as backup. Albeit at LAX the APEC line can be extremely long because it is shared with Crew .
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:09 am

That's interesting since you don't need 6 months validity to enter the US.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That's interesting since you don't need 6 months validity to enter the US.
You don't, but you need to have an officer manually process you if your passport is expiring in less than 6 months.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by everywhere
The APC just rejects me with a message that the passport isn't valid for long enough whenever I try to enter with a passport that has less than 6 months to run. Oh well, APEC card as backup. Albeit at LAX the APEC line can be extremely long because it is shared with Crew .
Reminds me of a friend who has an APEC card and last year got rudely told by some crew that he was in the wrong line!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:56 pm

I have KLM crew do exactly this. Another reason why they don't get my business.
Saudi crew have been most gracious and insist I go in front of them
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I always get the X. Just attributed to being a dual national.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

That's interesting. FWIW I did get probably 50% of the way through the greencard process up to the point of having the interview scheduled at the embassy in NZ before I left, but no mention was made of that.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I check in online here in Chc. Can bypass the checkin (I only travel with carry on). Never an issue with scanners at border control. However, the lounge will not/cannot verify passport so this needs to be done at gate. When I'm flying back from Syd or BNE, I also check in online, print BP and no worries, the lounge ladies print new BP.

I did get a reprimand last week for not having a BP (forgot to check in), but that was from lounge staff. No effect on immigration scanners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.