Search

Access to lounges flying Y with UA & CM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nz*G
Access to lounges flying Y with UA & CM

Hi all

my partner and I (me air nz *E) are traveling from lax to panama with Copa airlines and on to Cuba in a couple of weeks. Will we have access to a lounge at lax before the flight?

also we are travelling from msy (New Orleans) to lax via Houston with UA, will we have lounge access with these flights?

Cheers
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes if you're flying on a *A carrier you will have lounge access with your *G status.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Cool thanks for confirming sbiddle. Do you know which lounge we will be sent to?

I had had read somewhere that *G didn't allow lounge access with UA if domestic and not flying in first?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:16 am

You can go to any *G lounge you want. The United Club in T7 will be the closest, but you could visit the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT if you want, but just be aware it's about 20 mins walk back to T6 via the airside connector.

Air NZ had some confusing text on their website years ago that confused people into thinking you couldn't access United Club's when flying domestically. This is incorrect.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
You will also have access to the CM lounge while transiting PTY. Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Cool thanks for confirming sbiddle. Do you know which lounge we will be sent to?

I had had read somewhere that *G didn't allow lounge access with UA if domestic and not flying in first?
You have access to any Star Alliance lounge as a *G. The exception is that UA denies its own *G elites access to its own lounges when traveling domestically inside the US. The denial does not apply to a non-UA *G. (UA domestic premium cabin passengers also do not have lounge access.)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Makes it sound like they have a lot of elites in UA - just like another carrier I know of
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
international flight

The key to your question is the fact you are traveling internationally.

I am G* with UA, but I only get lounge access if my itinerary is int'l. So, for example, if I fly SEA-EWR I don't get lounge access but if my itin is SEA-EWR-YYZ I do.

Transiting PTY, the COPA lounge is adequate but difficult to find (elevator access near Gate 25, as I recall). IMO, COPA in flight crew are great.....much better than AC by comparison!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Awesome thanks for the replies guys. Really looking forward to this trip, 1st time flying TransPac in J with Airnz too.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The key to your question is the fact you are traveling internationally.

I am G* with UA, but I only get lounge access if my itinerary is int'l. So, for example, if I fly SEA-EWR I don't get lounge access but if my itin is SEA-EWR-YYZ I do.

Transiting PTY, the COPA lounge is adequate but difficult to find (elevator access near Gate 25, as I recall). IMO, COPA in flight crew are great.....much better than AC by comparison!
Sorry mate so our flight from MSY-LAX is internal with UA, so because I'm NZ*G in UAs eyes will that give me lounge access or not?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sorry mate so our flight from MSY-LAX is internal with UA, so because I'm NZ*G in UAs eyes will that give me lounge access or not?
Yes, as a NZ*G you have access to UA lounges even on domestic flights.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Yes you will - as per the reply above, any *G member flying on a *A carrier gets access to *A lounges both domestically and internationally. Including UA lounges.

You're not a UA HVC so you don't need to worry about the domestic access issues.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Great stuff, cheers for confirming.
Must suck to be HVC with UA?!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great stuff, cheers for confirming.
Must suck to be HVC with UA?!
Meh - as you'll see most United Clubs are not really all that great anyway

I just show up to the airport 50 minutes before departure and try not to make connections. There are also a lot of random lounge options in the States via programs like Priority Pass or American Express [Centurion Lounges], and most people collect one from a credit card. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Meh - as you'll see most United Clubs are not really all that great anyway
Basically this.

Many United clubs are an incredibly average experience. Other than getting a free bud light (you have to pay for good beer) and some carrot sticks and ranch dressing you're not missing much.

The newer clubs are a lot better but even then there are NZ regional lounges that hands down beat most UA ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.