FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   ZK-OKM returns from maintenance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1831917-zk-okm-returns-maintenance.html)

sbiddle Mar 26, 2017 6:08 pm

ZK-OKM returns from maintenance

I see that OKM returned from Singapore overnight so will presumably start flying again soon. This is the first 77W to get the seat and IFE refresh and removal of the Spaceseat.

cavemanzk Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-boeing-777-300

Looks like the seatmap is now live, 30EF would of been nice if it wasn't for the bathrooms!

sbiddle Mar 26, 2017 9:07 pm

When I flew last month the crew told me they were getting water in the PE galley which they were very excited by.

jawnbc Mar 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Agreed--but the 'loo wouldn't bother me.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 28090734)
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-boeing-777-300

Looks like the seatmap is now live, 30EF would of been nice if it wasn't for the bathrooms!

sbiddle Mar 27, 2017 12:33 am

Sucks to be in economy where the screens are now 20% smaller.

dadig Mar 27, 2017 12:57 am

NZ bringing the true definition of cattle class and decreasing the PE space yet charging the same price.

AviationNZ Mar 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dadig (Post 28091241)
NZ bringing the true definition of cattle class and decreasing the PE space yet charging the same price.

YMMV, but I actually prefer the newer PY seat (like many people), so the fact they're charging the same is reasonable in my eyes.

Rebound Mar 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by dadig (Post 28091241)

Well the consumer wanted the spaceseat gone so they got their wish!

drajknox Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 28095433)

Many loved the Spaceseat - you will find many comments online from people who have said that it's elimination will lower their likelihood of using Air NZ vs other carriers. It won awards for Air NZ and was seen as a point of difference in PE. Personally it led me to make many bookings with Air NZ that would have otherwise gone to other carriers such as Emirates. As far as my wife is concerned she doesn't believe the fare difference between Y and PE is value with the Zodiac seat - I to some extent disagree as I like the enhanced service level that PE offers on NZ (definitely more like business lite than economy+) but if my wife was doing our bookings she would now make them in Y if we are not traveling in J.
I would be surprised if there are not many who think like she does with respect to this and I suppose in some respects that may be a good thing as oneups may be more readily available from Y.

As sbiddle and others have stated the Spaceseat is a polarizing product with many also not liking them but in my opinion they were a point of difference which I think is important for a small airline like Air New Zealand.

It would take a lot to convince me however that your comment that this change was consumer driven is correct - I'm sure the motivation was in the majority financial although only time will tell whether this was misconceived - I'm sure however that the current Air NZ executives won't admit it if the decision proves to be negative with regard to paid PE bookings.

smeags_nz Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 28098219)
It would take a lot to convince me however that your comment that this change was consumer driven is correct - I'm sure the motivation was in the majority financial although only time will tell whether this was misconceived - I'm sure however that the current Air NZ executives won't admit it if the decision proves to be negative with regard to paid PE bookings.

Totally agree!

sbiddle Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 28095433)

Correction.

Well the accountants wanted the spaceseat gone so they got their wish!

Yes the Spaceseat is a polarising product and as others have just mentioned above and in pretty much every other Spaceseat thread there you either hate the seat or you love it. There is no in-between. I love the Spaceseat and had 3 longhaul flights in the Spaceseat between Nov and Feb (and a couple earlier in 2016) and have still never slept as well in it as I do in the Spaceseat every time I fly. My GF on the other hand isn't a fan as she doesn't like the feel of sitting sideways.

At the end of the day customer feedback would have been a factor in the decision, but ultimately the future of the Spaceseat was decided years ago by accounts when they had to remove a row from the 77W due to complaints about the lack of space and suddenly had fewer seats in the same cabin which the accountants didn't like.

Despite being originally scoped for the 789 Air NZ realised after the 77W fiasco that it didn't make sense for their planned 789 cabin configuration so they began the search for a new seat for both that and the 77E reconfig. Once the Zodiac was chosen for both of those it was clear it's time would ultimately be limited on the 77W when you can go from 44 to 54 seats in the exact same space. This is the sort of stuff that makes accountants very excited.

RSkipage Mar 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm one of the passengers who regularly booked paid travel in the spaceseat. As Ive noted in other posts it worked for me since it was comfortable enough to keep me loyally supporting Air NZ flying back and forth to Europe instead of buying a cheap J fare with other airlines. The space and the unique style the spaceseat created made it feel superior. And with a strategically placed bag in the footwell - it was almost as comfortable as sitting upright in a business premier seat.

Its unlikely Air NZ is going to reduce their PE fares however with their new zodiac seats. Ive used them on flights to Australia and to Tokyo. They are ok. But on an ultra long haul trip to Europe, it makes more sense now for me to buy J fares on CZ or the likes for the same, or often less than PE on Air NZ.

My prediction is that the "pure economics" of fitting more seats of lower comfort into PE will fail for Air NZ - unless they significantly reduce PE fares. They will fill the cabin with more upgrades than PE fare paying passengers than they currently do. At that point - the spaceseat economics may actually look more attractive.

dadig Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

The very fact that the first route they deployed is AKL-SIN route is unsurprising. I frequent this route. The number of Elite and upgrade standby on this at the lounge is in double digits. It will no doubt keep the Y-PE happy

sbiddle Mar 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by dadig (Post 28098842)
The very fact that the first route they deployed is AKL-SIN route is unsurprising. I frequent this route. The number of Elite and upgrade standby on this at the lounge is in double digits. It will no doubt keep the Y-PE happy

It's not actually back on the run yet looking at data for that rego - it was in SIN for maintenance.

Kamadan Mar 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dadig (Post 28098842)

I'm confused by this comment.

AKL-SIN on NZ281/282 has (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) been a 777-200ER (pre-refit) when the route was launched, don't think they ever deployed a 77W with SpaceSeat PE on it.

In fact they down-gauged it to 789 during the off-peak seasons (right now).

The Zodiac "Business-Lite" PE seat at 8-across was a significant upgrade from the pre-refit, 9-across "just more legroom Y" layout.

So I don't think anyone travelling between AKL-SIN ever "missed out" on anything.