Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Parking at WLG - Closing (permanently?)

Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.

Was just trying to book air nz parking at Wellington out in May for a weekend away, and the website says they are no longer taking bookings as they are closing the facility - is there something i have missed here about this?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Like the Xmas gift it's more useless Elite benefits for those outside Auckland.

The hanger was pulled down recently and I know parking has been significantly reduced lately as the former staff park around the back has also been closed for construction. My understanding however was that Air NZ still had a lease over the land, and was going to continue with parking. Obviously something has changed..
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:03 pm

Air NZ lease is up so it's going.

I wonder what parking options NZ will offer? They had to scrap their valet parking after the spat with the airport over pricing.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
They had to scrap their valet parking after the spat with the airport over pricing.
The changes that the airport have implemented for the taxi stands mean the place is a chaotic zoo for the morning rush. I waited in a queue for half an hour (after a one hour flight) on Monday morning.
While the solution is obvious (book a taxi in advance), that doesn't fix the wider problem.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:27 pm

It really is a shame that this has now gone in what appears to be a spat with the airport company over $$ much like the reason valet parking was scrapped a few years ago.

Air NZ's parking at $18 per day or $34 for 2 days which I was happy to pay. This was way cheaper than the $29 per day for airport long term, or $34 per day for undercover.

Air NZ parking has been difficult to get since late last year due to the demolition of the hanger and construction around the rear crew parking area and I've found myself parking on the street. I guess I'll be adding to the problem now because I'm not willing to pay up to double the price I used to pay.

Yes airport parking near the terminal should have a premium but there are no excuses for Wellington airports long term parking (which is a shuttle service) to be even more expensive than what Auckland airport charge for long term parking.

Apparently something is in the cards for Elite customers with parking vouchers.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
[QUOTE=sbiddle;28036843]Like the Xmas gift it's more useless Elite benefits for those outside Auckland.

Being "provincial" we can never use our parking vouchers at all. Used them a couple of times in the past for people picking us up at AKL but that "wasn't allowed" last time we tried. With both us being Elite and provincial the benefits of Elite over Gold are minimal- give the partner statuses to two of the (adult) kids, and share the upgrades between them. Happy kids but not much for us. But wait, we get two Christmas gifts.....
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I didn't use the last 7 parking vouchers and got another 7 this year. Partner will also be Elite soon. Only benefit I use is Elite Upgrades but only if they clear immediately
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dadig
I didn't use the last 7 parking vouchers and got another 7 this year. Partner will also be Elite soon. Only benefit I use is Elite Upgrades but only if they clear immediately
is the 7 parking vouchers from 5 as elite 2 from credit card ?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
is the 7 parking vouchers from 5 as elite 2 from credit card ?
I'm assuming he means 5 as I'm not aware of any credit cards offering parking vouchers.. As much as I'd love them instead of worthless lounge vouchers. I really wish a bank would negotiate this rather than at present being ripped off by Air NZ and purchasing something that is completely useless for lots of people.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
I'm assuming he means 5 as I'm not aware of any credit cards offering parking vouchers.. As much as I'd love them instead of worthless lounge vouchers. I really wish a bank would negotiate this rather than at present being ripped off by Air NZ and purchasing something that is completely useless for lots of people.
Westpac Airports World MasterCard comes with 2x Koru parking vouchers each year

https://www.westpac.co.nz/credit-car...ld-mastercard/
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kamadan

Ahh I didn't realise that. I wish others gave the option. I do have a wee chuckle though that the banks are effectively getting ripped off by Air NZ. I don't think there is anybody else there that can actually rip off a bank. Nornmally it's the banks ripping everybody else off!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Ahh I didn't realise that. I wish others gave the option. I do have a wee chuckle though that the banks are effectively getting ripped off by Air NZ. I don't think there is anybody else there that can actually rip off a bank. Nornmally it's the banks ripping everybody else off!

It's the circle of (business) life... I am sure AirNZ is being ripped off by it's bank each year in return... but I digress...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I value the parking vouchers and have used them all and appreciated it when my EP could use them also. Managed to use them as a regional elite in TRG when driving to AKL.

Agree kiwibank lounge vouchers are useless unless you can use them travelling in a larger group which hasn't happened to me yet.

Does anyone get any use out of the hotel vouchers??

Tried the car voucher once but was more a sideways move and I haven't been bothered to figure out the car system and what I need to book to get the right car. Too little benefit for the research involved.

It's the car and hotel vouchers I reckon need replacing but others that use them may disagree.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Agree kiwibank lounge vouchers are useless unless you can use them travelling in a larger group which hasn't happened to me yet.
I tried this once at the Queenstown lounge and got a flat out no way, although to be fair I was trying to get 8 people in on lounge vouchers plus me and another with my NZ Gold.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kamadan

Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
I tried this once at the Queenstown lounge and got a flat out no way, although to be fair I was trying to get 8 people in on lounge vouchers plus me and another with my NZ Gold.
Considering it's a regional lounge and only has a 1 guest limit regardless of status or vouchers that's not surprising.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.