Search

Status Point Run

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Status Point Run

I need a few SP points before May

It seems a return trip to Brisbane/Sydney (From Auckland) in Business gives the best value at around $9.58 /Status Point ($1361 which gives me 142 SP and $100 AP)

Anyone know anything which costs less/SP?

Last edited by Craig Whitmore; Mar 12, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Depends how many SPs you need and how much time you have. Last Oct/Nov I did a few Sunday AKL- WLG on seat only at $79 return giving 16 SP ave $6.13 per SP. Took 7am flight and returned on the 10.15am flight.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
All domestic flights get you a minimum of 8SP per each way/segment, regardless of price, including "F" class Grab-a-Seat fares (of course with the exception of redemption/X class tickets, and those paid with APD).

So any domestic fares less than ~NZ$76 each way will get you a better $/SP ratio than your AKL-SYD/BNE run.

The $49 lead-in AKL-WLG fares would yield NZ$6.125/SP, for example.

Of course it's very time consuming with such a small haul of SP each way, plus you might not be able to find fares at times that suit you.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Do you have an SP earning credit card? that's another option - buy a whole lot of say, New World vouchers or something

If you need Air NZ flight-earned SP then I think trans tasman is quite good. One of the issues with domestic SP earn is if you need say, 80 SP or something, the all-in costs of domestic travel really start to add up - travel to & from the airport, scheduling, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I need about 150 (can't get any more on CC)

Those Wellington flights seems cheaper but then there is cost of parking lots of times ($25/day?) and cost of petrol costs of time (to drive there 80km return to home )

I would have to fly 10+ times
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
I need about 150 (can't get any more on CC)

Those Wellington flights seems cheaper but then there is cost of parking lots of times ($25/day?) and cost of petrol costs of time (to drive there 80km return to home )

I would have to fly 10+ times
Yeah- I live within a 20 minute drive of Auckland airport and an understanding wife dropping and picking me up.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattNZ
Do you have an SP earning credit card? that's another option - buy a whole lot of say, New World vouchers or something

If you need Air NZ flight-earned SP then I think trans tasman is quite good. One of the issues with domestic SP earn is if you need say, 80 SP or something, the all-in costs of domestic travel really start to add up - travel to & from the airport, scheduling, etc.
Yes TT seems the best at the moment.

Over the last year I basically couldn't fly much due to my surgery I had so if I don't get the SP in time I will go to Silver.. argghhhhhhhhhh..

A large number of domestic flights doesn't work as I can only do it in the weekend and the cheaper flights are only in the morning so it would mean lots of travel , petrol, parking etc
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
Yes TT seems the best at the moment.

Over the last year I basically couldn't fly much due to my surgery I had so if I don't get the SP in time I will go to Silver.. argghhhhhhhhhh..

A large number of domestic flights doesn't work as I can only do it in the weekend and the cheaper flights are only in the morning so it would mean lots of travel , petrol, parking etc
Don't you get a soft landing to G since you are a E?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ G
FWIW - I was able to get my requalification date pushed out by 2 weeks to ensure I would retain G (I had flights scheduled just after my current requalification date expires).

Also, re TT J, I just returned from SYD, and booked the SYD-AKL leg as a OW - this was circa $70 cheaper for the return leg than booking a return AKL-SYD-AKL J ticket. Still earned 71 SP for the leg so in line with what the earn rate would have been had I booked it as a single return ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm G at the moment (down from Elite -> Gold last May)

AKL-SYD J return should get me enough SP to stay on G
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The long standing change direction trick is still the best option. $650 for around 100 SP looking at it now for a few hours flying. I don't think there are any routes ex AKL you can use it on now though so it would mean a flight to WLG at the start and end.
pkshirsagar likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
AKL-SYD J and return Y is probably the best. MEL can be used if SYD are taken
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The long standing change direction trick is still the best option. $650 for around 100 SP looking at it now for a few hours flying. I don't think there are any routes ex AKL you can use it on now though so it would mean a flight to WLG at the start and end.
Hi, can you explain this a bit more? Cheers
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by TraderX
Hi, can you explain this a bit more? Cheers
WLG-ROT is an option. I chose 5th May 2017 for example.

WLG-AKL-ROT, 0845-1200 @ $151 yields 10 APD, 25 status points.

you're "changing direction" by going from WLG to ROT via AKL.

Later direct flight
WLG-ROT, 1240-1350 @ $191 yields 6 APD, but only 13 status points.
pkshirsagar likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Just rejigging this old thread – I'm currently Air NZ gold but am worried about losing status before it renews on 21 Feb for me. Time is a bit of a tricky factor with pre-planned work/commitments but would love to retain status for next year.

I'm already planning a run to SIN which will give me ~250 points but will still need around another 250 to retain gold. Any suggestions on what will be the best value? I don't necessarily need to fly NZ but suppose that will give the best earn rates. Any route suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.