Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

HKG-AKL on AirNZ flight ticketed by Cathay

Old Mar 7, 17, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Does anyone what the baggage limit is when flying a Cathay ticketed flight using NZ80 to AKL?

Cathay has a 30kg(2 bag) limit but saw a note saying there is exceptions for AKL/CHC

I'm actually flying AKL-PVG but want to stop off in HKG (on the way back) and will likely checking in a suitcase and a largish packet from PVG

Last edited by pseudo; Mar 7, 17 at 4:48 am Reason: added details
Old Mar 7, 17, 9:35 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What does your ticket say?
Old Mar 7, 17, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Haven't got a ticket yet. Drafting a booking via a corporate travel portal and selected Cathay as the ticketed airline.

We used to ask an agent to get this details, but the portal is indifferent.

the flights are 08:40 PVG-HKG (10hr layover in HKG) then 23:50 HKG-AKL
Old Mar 7, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
Does anyone what the baggage limit is when flying a Cathay ticketed flight using NZ80 to AKL?

Cathay has a 30kg(2 bag) limit but saw a note saying there is exceptions for AKL/CHC

I'm actually flying AKL-PVG but want to stop off in HKG (on the way back) and will likely checking in a suitcase and a largish packet from PVG

As NZ and CX has strategic/revenue sharing alliance on routes between AKL/CHC and HKG, the baggage limit is also "harmonized" between them, regardless of who ticketed/marketed or operating the flight.
Therefore it's:
Y: 1 piece upto 23kg each
PE: 2 pieces upto 23kg each
J: 3 pieces upto 23kg each

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html

And choose "Hong Kong to/from Auckland/Christchurch (direct flights)" from the drop-down menu.

That is BEFORE any Frequent Flyer benefits are added on top.

As your ticket is actually PVG-HKG-AKL, it MIGHT differ, however seeing as the MSC leg is HKG-AKL, I would say the baggage allowance of the HKG-AKL leg would apply... unless the agents at PVG are unfamiliar with the rules for this particular route and apply the usual CX allowance for Y.
Old Mar 7, 17, 7:25 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Even at HKG - CX staff didn't know the rules for the NZ/CX alliance for baggage.

I had to argue and show the supervisor the rules about an extra bag as a NZ E FF.
Old Mar 8, 17, 2:04 am
Original Poster

I actually just used their Chatbot (http://baggage.cathaypacific.com) and it confirmed I can check in 2 cases @30kg total from PVG, so all good.
Old Mar 13, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
Even at HKG - CX staff didn't know the rules for the NZ/CX alliance for baggage.

I had to argue and show the supervisor the rules about an extra bag as a NZ E FF.
I think that was a one-off event. I had a very good and dedicated response from CX and they were most useful, so it has not been consistent for you

Search this Thread
Search Engine: