Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

"Priority reservations and waitlisting" - What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:13 am
Original Poster

From https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/koru-benefits

What does this mean in practice? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else on the website. The Star Alliance website says something similar for *S members "PRIORITY RESERVATIONS WAITLIST & PRIORITY STAND-BY". Again, I've never seen this offered by NZ?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
You can usually only get on a waitlist through a travel agent, all it means is that you'll be bumped ahead of non status folks if you're waitlisted for a particular class of service.

I've had it happen a few times where I'm on a PE fare but the cabin is full so I've been seated in economy until seats become available further up.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

So I buy a fare in Y hope to get to J if, for instance, the J cabin is full? Interesting. I have never heard of this before.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
This is used a bit in Europe and US here they actually have screens showing the list of pax on standby and the order of waitlist. Presumably these are pax on Flexi tickets arriving early at airport.

It has come in handy for me before with flight cancellations. Last time AKL-NPE got cancelled I got last seat on a flight an hour later where jade colleague was rebooked for 4 hours later. (Managed to successfully waitlist her for my flight as well - we were on different PNR's)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I've only been provided this option once being offered a Standby fare on a full flight - Couldn't determine if it was granted based on status tier.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by dadig
I've only been provided this option once being offered a Standby fare on a full flight - Couldn't determine if it was granted based on status tier.
I had a CHC - WLG - HLZ flight cancelled due to bad weather affecting flights around Wellington, and asked to be put onto the next flight, at the lounge desk. Telling them "But I'm *G" got a wry smile and a "we haven't even got all the elites onto the next flight, you'll be on the last flight out today (and should be grateful to get that)".
It seems to be a clear indication that standby is prioritized by tier. Not sure if my experience relates to the OP's question though.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
When an AKL-WLG flight couldn't land in WLG with weather issues, rebooking was very clearly done based on status with elites getting on the next flight and others being told they might get on a flight multiple hours later. However linking someone I was traveling with to my PNR got them on the next flight, so I assume that got them treated as an elite.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Aqua_3380
I had a CHC - WLG - HLZ flight cancelled due to bad weather affecting flights around Wellington, and asked to be put onto the next flight, at the lounge desk. Telling them "But I'm *G" got a wry smile and a "we haven't even got all the elites onto the next flight, you'll be on the last flight out today (and should be grateful to get that)".
It seems to be a clear indication that standby is prioritized by tier. Not sure if my experience relates to the OP's question though.
I've been fortunate to not really be affected by weather but I was wondering in this situation is it better to contact the call centre rather than the lounge agent? I have visions of a line several deep at the lounge desk vs staying put and making a call.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
On UA it doesn't get you any upgrades (they only do their screen thing with MileagePlus people, including having UA *S sent to J when NZ*G people are booked in Y) but it does yield benefits on the standby list. For instance once when I flew WLG-AKL-IAH-BOS I had to have a 5 hour layover in IAH because there was not enough transit time for an earlier flight to BOS, but on arrival in IAH I asked the agent to put me on the earlier flight, got bumped to the top of the standby list and got the last seat on the plane (departed 25 min later). So it can be pretty useful when changing flights.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I've also been given priority when AKL-NPL flight cancelled as computer was playing up.

Status passengers were moved to next flight (last flight of the night); others onto a bus.

Ironically, my rebooked flight could not land at NPL due to land cloud, so I was deposited back at AKL and rebooked for the next day.

So status passengers delayed overnight, non-status at least arrived the same day even by bus.

As I had to be in NPL for 8am, I ended up getting a rental car and driving down overnight - not pleasant as weather bad, and driver should really have been asleep
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aqua_3380
Interesting. Seems to be the experience in this thread that status members *will* get priority in the event of a disrupt. Thanks for posting

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I've been fortunate to not really be affected by weather but I was wondering in this situation is it better to contact the call centre rather than the lounge agent? I have visions of a line several deep at the lounge desk vs staying put and making a call.
I have done this before several times, even when only at HKK with a B1900 flight. I got through quicker in each instance and a much better deal than waiting in line (i.e. compensation and a few other things to make up for it).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: NZ *E
It never occurred to me to call the call centre. I think on the few times this has happened I've been less than fifteen seconds from the desk in the lounge and it just makes sense to talk to a real person.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Airport handles disrupt situations. In have been assured of a seat on the phone and been bounced at the gate as the airport had control over flights.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
When an AKL-WLG flight couldn't land in WLG with weather issues, rebooking was very clearly done based on status with elites getting on the next flight and others being told they might get on a flight multiple hours later. However linking someone I was traveling with to my PNR got them on the next flight, so I assume that got them treated as an elite.
I was discussing the whole issue of delays / cancellations with a Air NZ staff member last year. Apparently a key request from staff for some time had been better rebooking of pax via the app to save this having to be done by the call centre or ground staff. This was something Air NZ wanted because it would make the experince better for passengers, but it has lots of complexities that go with it particularly around status and how this could be managed in an automated process vs being done manually.

It's also not a perfect world when it comes to delays, and I've certainly seen pax with no status get very grumpy when they've been delayed for hours while HVCs have been less inconvenienced. Yes that's a benefit of being a HVC, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily a fair system.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Both, having travelled in and out of Wellington a lot. Get on the phone and get in the line at the desk. There will be a wait on both when there is major disruption and once the call centre answers I step out of the desk queue, or vice versa. Priority or not you want to be talking early. Maybe more options with the phone, perhaps they are more used to dealing with the situation, but not much in it.

Once you have the call centre on the line they have been helpful about dealing with other people on the same call - just make sure to get your cellphone back before leaving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.