NZ1/2 with tightening of US border

Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

NZ1/2 with tightening of US border

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...s-border-rules

Does anyone know if NZ has any plans if the new US border rules pan out? As transiting LAX to LHR won't be worth it if require a sit down interview at the Embassy etc.

Can they redirect the flight through Vancouver? Or the Singapore or Hong Kong? Maybe the new lounge in Perth is for LHR flights????
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ *E
I gather it is being reported incorrectly. The change is for people with an existing visa (i.e. from countries that are not subject to a visa waiver). Such visas can no longer be renewed without an interview at the consulate.
For people who are eligible for a visa waiver, no changes. Or at least I hope that's what's happening.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aqua_3380
I gather it is being reported incorrectly. The change is for people with an existing visa (i.e. from countries that are not subject to a visa waiver). Such visas can no longer be renewed without an interview at the consulate.
For people who are eligible for a visa waiver, no changes. Or at least I hope that's what's happening.
Correct (somewhat): the Visa Interview Waiver Programme is NOT the same as the Visa Waiver Programme. The Visa Interview Waiver Programme is for people who are (re)applying for non-immigrant visas to the US and basically exempts those who qualify under the published criteria from needing to present for an interview (which would otherwise be required). Admission to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme (which would most NZ travellers going on holiday to the US) does NOT require applying for a non-immigrant visa (hence "visa waiver") and so this executive order does NOT affect it. The difference being Visa Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa - and Visa Interview Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa interview.

Typical shoddy reporting from someone who didn't bother doing their research properly before shooting off at the mouth...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Typical shoddy reporting from someone who didn't bother doing their research properly before shooting off at the mouth...
Depressingly common isn't it?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:33 pm

Sad how it's coming from RadioNZ... a news source I've been using since NZHerald went downhill
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Radio NZ sourced it from news.com.au and reported it (and didn't correct it until later this evening) despite being told it was incorrect. The US document is even online for anybody to read.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
NZ's flight crews, paradoxically, would be affected--since they all have work visas of some sort (unless they hold US citizenship). Or has that changed?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
NZ's flight crews, paradoxically, would be affected--since they all have work visas of some sort (unless they hold US citizenship). Or has that changed?
An annoyance mostly. Right now all have to attend an initial interview but for subsequent renewals, that is usually waived. C1/D plus B1/B2 are the Visa's crew need to hold so it'll be a visit every five years now.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Radio NZ sourced it from news.com.au and reported it (and didn't correct it until later this evening) despite being told it was incorrect. The US document is even online for anybody to read.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ogram-end.html No. Au press reports are wrong

No point commenting on something that is incorrect
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
NZ USA based crew/staff would not be affected but everyone else who typically applies for a crew visa will be.

I don't think they allow the crewmembers to use the visa waiver but you never know.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
It does beg the question though, what NZ's plan would be if Trump decides to lock down the boarders even more.

For example if they make it harder for New Zealand passport holders to enter the USA, it would have an huge implication on NZ's services to the US. Maybe even to the point of dropping them.

Could we maybe see some new Canada routes.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
It does beg the question though, what NZ's plan would be if Trump decides to lock down the boarders even more.

For example if they make it harder for New Zealand passport holders to enter the USA, it would have an huge implication on NZ's services to the US. Maybe even to the point of dropping them.

I think Trump has bigger fish to fry than kiwi's. Can't see NZ being affected to the point of dropping routes.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Yeah but we're not brown and / or muslim, we'll be fine. In saying that, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some flights via. PER.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
The biggest problem I see with getting kiwis to the UK via Perth is that it's rather indirect, the most direct route would involve a stop in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the far East of Russia or alternatively northern Japan.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Not brown? You must not live in Auckland...

I think NZ would do well with a service AKL YVR JFK. Not competing directly with AC (for whom the Canadian government is wildly protectionist, ask EK and SQ), alternative to EWR and LGA. Currently PR and CX operate it and get good revenue that many Aeroplan members would rather accrue some points.

Mind you, this is a totally self-serving post: I have family in Vancouver and Nassau Co. (Long Island).

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Yeah but we're not brown and / or muslim, we'll be fine. In saying that, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some flights via. PER.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.