Laptop left on plane: stupid me

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Laptop left on plane: stupid me

Flying Queenstown to Auckland on the last flight one evening and I got my laptop out and did some work (first time I have done that in 579 flights!) and put it in the seat pocket for landing. Completely forgot about it until I was at work the next day.

Online lost property report filed - but it's not been 'found'.

Although I am picking it has been found, either:
a) by a fellow passenger (more than likely a HVC as I was seated very near the front, but I am sure not someone from FT!)
b) AirNZ cleaning or other crew - I presume it would be easy enough to remove.

I am fully aware this is my stupidity - but was kind of hoping an honest person might have found it. Maybe that is as stupid as believing in Santa.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
When I grabbed my bag on Fri to go to Auckland on Saturday I realised my tablet want in it. I knew I had this on my flight from Japan a couple of weeks prior and was pretty sure I must have left it on my flight to Wellington.

I filed a lost property report with NZ but their systems don't seem that complex - no record of flight or seat #s are recorded on most found property in their system.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
yes I kind of thought they were going through the motions
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ *E
Left my HTC smartphone on the plane in Sydney a few years ago. Realised as soon as I got landside, and hung around for an hour or so to see if it could be found. It couldn't, apparently. Which was good, I hated that phone.
The thing is, objects left on the plane disappear really fast, usually within minutes.
Sorry to hear about your laptop, jeffrocowboy.

Last edited by Aqua_3380; Dec 14, 2016 at 12:50 am
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Online lost property report filed - but it's not been 'found'.
When I lose something in public, I just assume that it's gone. If someone honest finds and returns it, it will be a pleasant surprise. There's so much stealing taking place, that chances are low that it finds it way back to you.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I left the case for my Bose Q35s, which had a spare battery, cable and the charger. Realised within 2 hours of being home, filed an immediate request and was told the next day "no sign of it." I know precisely where I left (seat pocket) and gave the seat number. Rather depressing.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
I flew akl - syd in J a wee while back, stupidly I left an IPOD in the side cubby in the J seat. I realised once I hit baggage reclaim, it had already disapeared by the time I spoke to an airline offical..
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
I flew akl - syd in J a wee while back, stupidly I left an IPOD in the side cubby in the J seat. I realised once I hit baggage reclaim, it had already disappeared by the time I spoke to an airline offical..
Same, plane had not left Perth but I wasn't allowed back (made it to rental car) and of course it never was found. Too easy to pocket these things.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold
I was lucky enough to have a very expensive set of head phones turned in and returned about a week later. I can only assume they traveled in the seat pocket for a week before they called me.

Some hope for you I guess.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
I got off NZ7 a few months ago and realized as I was approaching immigration that I'd left my ipad in the seat pocket...gray cover on ipad blended in with the pocket material; silly mistake.

I swam upstream like a spawning salmon and retrieved it. I imagine if the plane had been fully de-boarded, I never would have seen it again. Got lucky.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:05 am

All is not hopeless...

A couple of years ago I left some slightly sensitive papers in the seat pocket (I've never done sensitive work on a plane again!!). I discovered this about an hour after I got home. I rang without any real expectation... But they found the papers (an unintended consequence of no longer cleaning planes?) in the pocket. The plane then did a tiki-tour round the country and I picked them up about 6 hours later. True, they had no value...but I wonder about the value of a second hand, old model locked phone or computer... Good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
At the risk of displaying my absent-mindedness I have left my Kindle in the seat pocket three times. Twice arriving in Auckland and the other time Adelaide. Every time it was in the lost property office within a couple of days and I got it back. I now follow the instructions more carefully.
YMMV - obviously.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I accidentally left some good quality headphones on a domestic flight about a year ago. I called the NZ number to report the loss and got a call back about an hour later saying they had been found, so it was just a case of picking them up a few days later on my next flight.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:03 pm

Left a digital camera many years ago on a QF flight. This was when digital cameras were fairly new (prior to that we loaded film!) and I imagine worth a bit of money (these days many just have their phone). I rang QF lost and found and was promptly told that the camera was recovered. When I got it back, in it was snaps of ground crew having a play with.

I have a ritual of checking seat pockets or mostly cavities in J seats, check seat itself and overhead bins before I leave.

Yet, I left behind twin headphone adaptor on EK flight recently.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Wonder what the "etiquette" is among cabin cleaning crews? Finders keepers, or share the spoils around, or is there an underground market with such stuff (there seems to be an awful lot that disappears very quickly from these reports). Are there any security screenings conducted on such employees as they leave work etc. etc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.