Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Points earned after re-qualify for elite?

Points earned after re-qualify for elite?

Old Jun 10, 18, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
Given you can get lifetime status on other programmes (e.g. QFF), I wouldn't be making any effort to go beyond Elite status with NZ, if you have choices that are of comparable quality and price (which for long haul is pretty easy).
This is what I did. When I got to the banked year threshold with NZ I loaded up my oneWorld membership account. It took me about eight years to get to lifetime gold with QF. Non-QF flying can be mean for reward points but pretty useful for status point accrual - I found that even some of the cheapest BA, Iberia or American Airlines' flying counts with the QF scheme.
ruff00 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 18, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Accor Gold
If you do "a lot" of flying (i.e. the equivalent of around 3000 status credits a year) then you'd be better to split evenly between NZ and QF as you'd get Elite on NZ and Platinum on QF. Of course this assumes you have control over your travel and choice of airline - if you don't then it can be a bit tricky to do this. My strategy is to credit all domestic flights to NZ (this gets me a thousand SP's or just under a year) and then a few internationals to get me over the Elite requalification line and then the rest of the internationals to QF and OneWorld. If I get more domestic NZ points then anticipated then they just go to rollover but once I know I've re-qualified I send everything to OneWorld if I can.

If you do a hell of lot of flying and you know you'll easily do well over 3000SC's per year over all your travel then I'd be inclined to only credit the bare minimum to NZ to requalify for Elite and then send everything to QF to try to get to Lifetime Gold ASAP. But if you're doing that much flying then you could theoretically get a banked year and still send a hell of a lot to QF.

Really depends on your travel patterns, how stable the level of travel is and how much sway you have over your flight choices if travelling for work.
Old Jun 11, 18, 3:11 pm

For me I am drawn to Air NZ because APD elite upgrades seem to be quite reliable if you book in-advance. So I can book PE on sale for me and my partner and then upgrade us to BP. At least that is the plan for 2019 travel when I will have Elite. I get plenty of APD through my work card, and so BP seats will essentially cost us $1200-1300 in cash. Seems like a bargain to me!

It would be nice to just choose another airline so I could get status with them (especially QF since they have lifetime status) but I don't know how to reliably get upgraded on any other airline than Air NZ. Learning the FF programs and how they each work is tricky!

Next year I'll probably at some point need to fly to the east coast of the USA so I'll book a sale business class fare with an airline that goes through Australia. VA is very tempting because its incredibly easy to get status with them, one business return trip on sale does it. With QF that gets me what, half way to gold? And their earnings on partner airlines is positively miserable. Its a tough program to gain FF unless you are flying QF metal.

​​​​

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jun 11, 18 at 3:17 pm
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
It would be nice to just choose another airline so I could get status with them (especially QF since they have lifetime status) but I don't know how to reliably get upgraded on any other airline than Air NZ. Learning the FF programs and how they each work is tricky!

Next year I'll probably at some point need to fly to the east coast of the USA so I'll book a sale business class fare with an airline that goes through Australia. VA is very tempting because its incredibly easy to get status with them, one business return trip on sale does it. With QF that gets me what, half way to gold? And their earnings on partner airlines is positively miserable. Its a tough program to gain FF unless you are flying QF metal.

​​​​
Id personally go with QF as VA are much harder to upgrade on and dont have a good alliance network or even lounge network. There are still some sweet spots for Qantas earning as well and also remember you are then getting global Oneworld benefits. They process their upgrades 48 hours before departure for Platinum and 24 hours before departure for everyone else. As a Gold Ive only ever had 1 upgrade declined due to a full cabin - which is better than my NZ history.
Old Jun 12, 18, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post

Id personally go with QF as VA are much harder to upgrade on and dont have a good alliance network or even lounge network. There are still some sweet spots for Qantas earning as well and also remember you are then getting global Oneworld benefits. They process their upgrades 48 hours before departure for Platinum and 24 hours before departure for everyone else. As a Gold Ive only ever had 1 upgrade declined due to a full cabin - which is better than my NZ history.
That's good to know that upgrading is reliable, thank you. I suspect with VA it's a lot less... Because its so easy to get status! Especially with shared family earning pools.