Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Points earned after re-qualify for elite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points earned after re-qualify for elite?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF earning on non-QF/JQ (and to a lesser extent AA) is very poor, much worse than NZ earn on *A.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by shivNZ
I'm keen on hearing what others do in this situation. Last year I got enough to get up to Elite and then got a banked year. And then I accumulated about 700 airpoints dollars after that, which I belatedly realised were entirely wasted. I'm wondering how to distribute my flights this year, because as @NZbutterfly and @codyc1515 suggest, it's not worth it wasting those status points on AirNZ or perhaps not even on *A. I'm really surprised that Air NZ hasn't cottoned onto this issue, as they could easily lose premium passengers who have banked a year and have nothing else to gain by flying Air NZ or *A for the next few months.
So this answers my question i think. Need 168 SP by August to get a banked year and have 427 from current flights over the next few weeks. So the additional 259 SP are totally wasted? is that correct?

So i will make every effort for all my TT and Asia flights between now and August (should be a few all in paid J) to go to Qantas/OW where I am aiming for platinum, so i am actively encouraged to switch away from Air NZ.

Or am I missing something?
Old May 6, 2017, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
correct
Old May 6, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So this answers my question i think. Need 168 SP by August to get a banked year and have 427 from current flights over the next few weeks. So the additional 259 SP are totally wasted? is that correct?

So i will make every effort for all my TT and Asia flights between now and August (should be a few all in paid J) to go to Qantas/OW where I am aiming for platinum, so i am actively encouraged to switch away from Air NZ.

Or am I missing something?
I have been in that situation for a number of years. I often get the 3000SC gift but they are not worth it. I probably should credit to QF but I can't be bothered with the hassles of crediting to another program.

IMHO it is one of the (many) serious flaws in the AirPoints programme, and it makes bad business practice. As soon as NZ's highest yield customers reach the banked year level the system encourages them to go elsewhere.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: NZ*E, One World
I too have suffered the same dilemma. Be very good to hear from Air NZ as to the thinking behind this. One can't help feeling kind of taken for granted.

It is indeed our choice with whom we fly, none the less, it is not an ideal way to reward your most loyal customers.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I was in similar situation, basically decide if you can bank beyond the 1048 SP roll over. Otherwise credit to another until your anniversary date. I find no incentive to be loyal beyond using the benefits provided.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I'm in the same situation of qualifying for another banked year shortly, with only 30 status points to get. My anniversary is in Sept so I was trying to figure out what to do (goodness knows how many points I've wasted over the years. I don't want to think about it).

I decided I might credit the NZ flights over to SQ until Sept when my new NZ FF year starts up, and try and get some reward redemptions on SQ eventually. Just had a couple of queries that someone may be able to answer:

Do you get the same service etc when you have booked on NZ but credited to a different FF program? Do they recognise all the Elite status you have etc?

Also does anyone know, do you still get the Elite partner perk with banked Elite years? How does that work?

BTW I don't have any option to fly one world as my work always uses NZ. Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:18 am

I can't say I notice any difference in service really all the way from Koru to Elite (apart from shorter wait queues on the phone). Not sure how they would be different if you are crediting to another FF program.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Ellice
I'm in the same situation of qualifying for another banked year shortly, with only 30 status points to get. My anniversary is in Sept so I was trying to figure out what to do (goodness knows how many points I've wasted over the years. I don't want to think about it).

I decided I might credit the NZ flights over to SQ until Sept when my new NZ FF year starts up, and try and get some reward redemptions on SQ eventually. Just had a couple of queries that someone may be able to answer:

Do you get the same service etc when you have booked on NZ but credited to a different FF program? Do they recognise all the Elite status you have etc?

Also does anyone know, do you still get the Elite partner perk with banked Elite years? How does that work?

BTW I don't have any option to fly one world as my work always uses NZ. Thanks in advance.
You can add in your SQ number for accruing points to SQ when you book, then call NZ and ask them to add your NZ number into the booking as a non-accrual FF number. That will mean you accrue points to SQ but your NZ Elite status will show up in the booking too.

And you get all standard Elite benefits including an Elite Partner when you use a banked year.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Thanks NZ Flyer that's helpful to know.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Gold Elite Gift: what is it?

Further to my post above i have now got my banked year and the app tells me I am 11 points away from 3000 when i get a gift.

Any idea what these are typically?

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Further to my post above i have now got my banked year and the app tells me I am 11 points away from 3000 when i get a gift.

Any idea what these are typically?

Cheers
Elite threshold gifts: We like to recognise our most frequent travellers. Once you reach 3,000, 5,000 and 7,500 Status Points (with at least 1,400 Status Points earned on Air New Zealand travel) from your last requalification review date, one of our team members will be in touch to offer you a gift of your choice with our compliments. It’s a thank you from Air New Zealand. Elite threshold gift selection may include:

An overnight stay at one of our acclaimed hotel partners in New Zealand and Australia
A six-course tasting menu with matching wines at Clooney, one of Auckland’s leading degustation restaurants
An additional long haul Recognition Upgrade
A four-course dining experience at Peter Gordon’s The Providores and Tapa Room in Marylebone High Street, London
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by brucelee
Elite threshold gifts: We like to recognise our most frequent travellers. Once you reach 3,000, 5,000 and 7,500 Status Points (with at least 1,400 Status Points earned on Air New Zealand travel) from your last requalification review date, one of our team members will be in touch to offer you a gift of your choice with our compliments. It’s a thank you from Air New Zealand. Elite threshold gift selection may include:

An overnight stay at one of our acclaimed hotel partners in New Zealand and Australia
A six-course tasting menu with matching wines at Clooney, one of Auckland’s leading degustation restaurants
An additional long haul Recognition Upgrade
A four-course dining experience at Peter Gordon’s The Providores and Tapa Room in Marylebone High Street, London
OK interesting, cheers!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
3000pt gift was a selection of hospo-related choices in AKL, CHC, WLG, SYD, and LHR. The non-hospo choices were a long-haul RU or a mixed case of wine (stuff that's onboard and in the lounges). If you don't live near one of those centres, you've likely gotta spend money to redeem those hospo gifts.

They've since added a hospo choice in ZQN (Eichardt's).

5000pt choices are identical except that it's 2 RU instead of 1 and also an option for an additional banked year.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:47 pm

Glad I didn't chase the 5k - it got ridiculous after the first gift by using it on a TT flight (although 5k is tempting to get a banked year)

Last edited by dadig; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.