Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onesmart Activation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Onesmart Activation

With these new Onesmart/Airpoints card, has anyone had any issues or problems activating?
Tried doing it online with zero success. It had all my personal information and when doing the final step it claims it doesn't have the relevant information available to complete.
Why give an online verification option if its rubbish and doesn't work. I am tied up with work for the next two weeks and don't have the time nor ability to go into an AA branch and get the no joy from them.
I appreciate that I'm probably going to be told to stop being precious but this is just doing my head in
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I sympathise but haven't tried to activate my new card. Maybe it was just a temporary problem?

On a (slightly) related rant, these new cards are entirely pointless if you don't want OneSmart. I went to Auckland domestic Koru yesterday and found you can't use the card to gain access. You now have to use the boarding pass (paper or via the app) in the machines at the entry. Guess what Air NZ, I don't want your crappy credit card so will now ditch the card altogether.

If only Air NZ could do something like Apple Pay to save me having to open the app...

Sorry, diversion (and rant) over.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Aaaand mine activated without providing any identity info at all Possibly because I already have the BNZ-issued card & NZ has my passport number. The site was broken on Monday - I could activate but not set a PIN - but has now been fixed & at least the card is working.

This new card is a big step backwards. Loading takes 2 days instead of (sometimes) a matter of hours. No email notification of transactions. No secondary or virtual card. Phone support is based gawd knows where. On behalf of those of us who do not, for whatever reason, use cards with credit facilities - booooooo!

justakiwi
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by gratn
I sympathise but haven't tried to activate my new card. Maybe it was just a temporary problem?

On a (slightly) related rant, these new cards are entirely pointless if you don't want OneSmart. I went to Auckland domestic Koru yesterday and found you can't use the card to gain access. You now have to use the boarding pass (paper or via the app) in the machines at the entry. Guess what Air NZ, I don't want your crappy credit card so will now ditch the card altogether.

If only Air NZ could do something like Apple Pay to save me having to open the app...

Sorry, diversion (and rant) over.
Why would you use an Airpoints card to enter the lounge? A boarding pass is the normal way.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I activated mine yesterday. I had to switch from using Firefox and use Internet Explorer.
It did take a long time and they asked a lot of security questions.

I was able to transfer my funds from the old card to the new one, which was a bit of a relief.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Had issues yesterday as well, kept timing out and had to re-enter personal data several times, annoying. Why not have one card Air NZ, we all have too many now.

Haven't tried to load funds yet, as have nil balance on old card (tip, unless you need them, always zero out your balances after a trip, it avoids fees).

Haven't yet tried the app, I assume there is a new one?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:10 pm

No there is no app now.

Remember this isn't a custom product built for Air NZ like BNZ's OneSmart was. It's an off the shelf white label product from Travelex.

If you use it regularly you'll also be better off just using the Travelex branded card rather than the Air NZ one.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why would you use an Airpoints card to enter the lounge? A boarding pass is the normal way.
I generally don't check luggage so get a boarding pass printed at the gate when I present my boarding pass (by the app) there. You used to be able to just show your card there too (thanks to the embedded chip in it) but that feature ended early this year. This means I almost never have a paper boarding pass when I enter the Koru lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I generally don't check luggage so get a boarding pass printed at the gate when I present my boarding pass (by the app) there. You used to be able to just show your card there too (thanks to the embedded chip in it) but that feature ended early this year. This means I almost never have a paper boarding pass when I enter the Koru lounge.
I need the card to access VA lounges
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by dadig
I need the card to access VA lounges
Good point. I guess I will need it after all, to access SQ lounges in places like Melbourne where the temporary NZ lounge is underwhelming.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:09 pm

Air NZ dumped NFC tags because nobody was using them. I very rarely have a boarding pass either - that's what the app is for. Why are you not just using this at the lounge?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ dumped NFC tags because nobody was using them. I very rarely have a boarding pass either - that's what the app is for. Why are you not just using this at the lounge?
I will now, but I find it a pain as I have to open the app, find the booking and then open the boarding pass. Showing the card was easier, but it's not like using the app is hard.

What do you think of the idea of a system like ApplePay where you just wave your phone and use a fingerprint scan to complete the process?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I will now, but I find it a pain as I have to open the app, find the booking and then open the boarding pass. Showing the card was easier, but it's not like using the app is hard.

What do you think of the idea of a system like ApplePay where you just wave your phone and use a fingerprint scan to complete the process?
Don't you need to open the app, find the right card, activate the NFC chip on your phone with Apple Pay, which basically is the same process as the current app showing a barcode? Technically they can build a NFC Airpoints card for this purpose but unfortunately the NFC function is used by the onesmart account and you can't have a card with 2 NFC chips.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Nov 18, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:08 pm

Takes me about 2s to unlock my Android phone with fingerprint and then press the barcode icon on the Air NZ widget to display the barcode.

Last edited by sbiddle; Nov 18, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Don't you need to open the app, find the right card, activate the NFC chip on your phone with Apple Pay, which basically is the same process as the current app showing a barcode? Technically they can build a NFC Airpoints card for this purpose but unfortunately the NFC function is used by the onesmart account and you can't have a card with 2 NFC chips.
Apple will never open up NFC on their phones. It's a small part of why Air NZ about abandoned NFC because any NFC solutions going forward would only ever be Android.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.