Search

Possible 787 Order on the way

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Possible 787 Order on the way

https://nyc787.blogspot.co.nz/2016/1...w-zealand.html

Possible 787 Order watch: Air New Zealand
I'm hearing from sources that Air New Zealand is doubling down on the 787.

The airlines' CEO was in Everett last week and apparently had come to an agreement to increase the airlines' 787 order but details are not available so I don't know the number or derivative(s). The CEO flew back on Air New Zealand's most recently delivered 787-9 which was delivered on October 12th.

Boeing has had a nice run of 787 orders boosting their 2016 787 sales campaign results to 61 net orders thanks to orders from mainly from China and Qatar. They can still achieve a book-to-bill greater than 1 if they can close the potential Emirates order this year.
If the Luxon was in Seattle does add some weight that it is more than rumour. Or maybe BOeing some work for 777X Vs A350?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Air NZ has alot of options right? Firming them up? Or simply part of the plan for future 787's to be lower density.

The real question is, where the hell is Air NZ going to park them? AKL needs more gates!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
The 787 isn't a nice experience unless you are at the pointy end. I'm not sure people realise the tiny tray tables would hardly fit a laptop for work.

After failing to clear Elite Upgrade i've now booked PE at a minimum
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
At the pointy end the seat is narrow. And really sub-standard.
With any luck NZ will look to resolve this.
I have flown 777 back to back with 789 on NZ and the difference is noticable.
I avoid 789 where possible at the pointy end.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Would you agree that the 787 has significantly more isle width in BP than the 777?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I haven't flown BP in the 787 so don't have any comments on the seat width complaints but still really have to wonder about Air NZ's strategy of not wanting to look beyond the Virgin seats. Yes they're cheap, and yes I know they want product consistency across the long haul fleet but when pretty much every other 787 operator (apart from VS) have 1-2-1 and can fit far more seats in the same cabin then it's a big financial disadvantage to them.

I really would love to see numbers and figures, but clearly that's not going to happen!

Last edited by sbiddle; Oct 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Does make some sense that another 789 order is needed soon to keep up with expanding, the next couple of 789s are really going to be used up by cover partly the 763 exit by March'17.

Have heard allot about AKL-ORD recently maybe this could be apart of an new order? With NZ trying to build AKL into an hub between AU-US the more routes they can offer the better they have an chance of making it work.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:02 pm

Does anybody know if Air NZ had options for 787's or did they just commit to the initial 12?

It would be very interesting to see if they are ordering more when they could actually receive these. The schedule is pretty full but I think it's safe to assume Boeing will be doing everything they can at present to keep Air NZ onboard. They obviously got the 2 ex test frames for a steal, but I wonder if Boeing promised anything else in return for the massive delays as launch customer?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Does anybody know if Air NZ had options for 787's or did they just commit to the initial 12?
Last I heard they still had 6 options.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:22 pm

The pitch angle of the 787 is noticeable, but I wouldn't go to the extreme of saying sub-standard when compared to the 777
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by dadig
The pitch angle of the 787 is noticeable, but I wouldn't go to the extreme of saying sub-standard when compared to the 777
I think it is noticeably narrower and thus substandard. One review I read (can't remember where) put the seat width the same but the "distance between walls" 3 inches narrower. For me that makes it feel quite "tight", and I am rather small. It's still great for sleeping. I've taken several flights in 787 J and whilst I love the aircraft, I avoid it as much as possible and go for the 777 where possible. Whilst I can see their "consistency of product" argument I think it was a serious mistake by Air NZ (and it isn't a consistent product anyway).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ*E
787 is a good plane
but
hate, absolute hate the little step into the aisle from J seats.. why it cannot be flat?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebound
The real question is, where the hell is Air NZ going to park them? AKL needs more gates!
You're not wrong there! About 12 planes yesterday evening. Worst friggin lines I've ever seen at customs in my life!! People missing domestic connections left right and centre. Someone said the EK flights were late in then you had the NZ wide bodies returning from Oz. Anyway I keep looking at the planes parked up and it's certainly very congested even without yesterday's anomaly (at least I hope it was an anomaly).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
787 is a good plane
but
hate, absolute hate the little step into the aisle from J seats.. why it cannot be flat?
Aho so true!! I kept tripping on that
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
You're not wrong there! About 12 planes yesterday evening. Worst friggin lines I've ever seen at customs in my life!! People missing domestic connections left right and centre. Someone said the EK flights were late in then you had the NZ wide bodies returning from Oz. Anyway I keep looking at the planes parked up and it's certainly very congested even without yesterday's anomaly (at least I hope it was an anomaly).
There have been Air NZ 77W's using remote stands as of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.