Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Constructive question to Gold Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Does anybody know the real reason they won't serve champagne before takeoff? Years ago I was told by a crew member it was because of tax/duty reasons which I'm assuming is the reason but really shows how far cost cutting has gone when savings would be literally a few $

I found the switch to a plastic cup for the first PE drink another pretty cheap thing to do as well. I understand the logic (saves up to 44 dirty glasses on a 77W) but IMHO it's a cheapening of the soft product. The bubbly they're serving is an OK drop, but is just horrible in plastic.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, One World
Very pleasing to see that I am not the only one whom feels the slippage lets say. I do and always take on board as mentioned in one of the many great posts, flying an awful lot, we tend to pick up more bits n bobs etc, where by a typical flyer may well not...

No matter the vocation etc, people can always have a bad day. I am not writing re a one off, more so the overall feel of an airline that like many here, I am very passionate about.

I do hope some of this feedback is picked up by the team at Air NZ. The vast majority of comments are not slamming but being done in a manner to be constructive.

Nothing more constant than change.....
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Kamadan
A friend of mine once said, how "similar personalities attract other similar personalities", in this case, I think there is a "bias" that Elites feel they always see/bump into other Elites, thus feeling that there are... way too many Elites amongst the ranks.

Of course that just my view and in no way scientific. But in other threads we have somewhat established that the number of Elites is perhaps 1%-1.5% of the NZ FFP base. To *me* I don't feel that there has been a swelling of the ranks over the years...

Also I think it's not as "easy" to get to Elite as we here on FT boards might think (again, we *are* the travel/flying savvy).

I constantly hear b!tch!ng from the sales exec. at work how they barely get to Gold on company dime, despite being sent Trans Tasman/main domestic NZ trunk route every week almost + 2-3 long hauls to the States a year. In fact apart from our CEO, I would be the only Elite, despite the fact I self-fund my travels (not in a travel/customer facing position) and fly no where NEAR as much as those sales execs.

Of course I seek the maximum $/SP (which means sometimes paying for premium cabins & tons of domestic Grab-a-Seat with minimum 8SP earn) along with any... tricks possible.

The point I am trying to make is that if even if company pays for Flexi-fares, in Y the earn is actually rather poor... which might help with culling the Elite herd a bit...
Towards this credit card discussion id like to add.

40% for elite is 120k spend in a year on top of earning 900 points by flying. When you're getting 12 SP each way on most trans Tasman fares that still equates to a massive amount of flying.

So get off your elitist attitudes.

And yes - I got probably 200 of my 1500 points off CC. Still earned the vast majority doing a .... load of flying every week...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
As one of those who travel weekly I've seen the service deterioriate like others have mentioned over the years. Markedly around the Mar/Apr time period it became obvious. Although of late I've seen things starting to improve with boarding process and accomodating requests.

Consistency is the big factor here, I have always received great service from a small subset of the crew and observed them extend the same to other passengers. Majority are forgettable
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:19 pm

I recently moved up to Elite after about 5 years as Gold.

I maximise the Westpac World benefits, put all of my personal expenses on it and a lot of corporate expense too. It got to the point that my monthly earn wasn't adding on to my balance!

As others have mentioned you still need to do a lot of flying. What got me over the line were a couple of last minute (very pricey) business class fares that earned lots of SP. Relying on full CC benefits and "normal" travel won't get you there.

I must say as a new Elite member I haven't noticed anything special over Gold. The only real benefit I see is the $100 upgrade to PE when flying across the ditch. As a result I wouldn't book flights or do SP runs purely to keep the Elite status.

Agree though that the amount of Koru, G and E are visibly growing. Last couple of times I was at AKL Dom Koru they had the "no guests due to limited capacity" signs out.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

I too have not been able to get into the Koru Club on a long-haul flight, far from good enough...

Be interesting to get some factual numbers of Gold Elites to see if in fact it is growing of late...

Originally Posted by JJSWLG
Agree though that the amount of Koru, G and E are visibly growing. Last couple of times I was at AKL Dom Koru they had the "no guests due to limited capacity" signs out.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by NZDavid

40% for elite is 120k spend in a year on top of earning 900 points by flying. When you're getting 12 SP each way on most trans Tasman fares that still equates to a massive amount of flying.

+1
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..
My GE status has never been recognised by crew that I can recall, including on any of about 20 long-haul flights in the last 18 months. But they do occasionally ask "shall I show you how your seat works?" I fly almost exclusively to the US now, so until a couple of months ago, was completely captive for direct flights. Virgin Atlantic would always recognise status and bring champagne etc if stick in Economy.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Is part of the problem maybe the fact Air NZ execs or management who fly are well known so are treated like royalty or those that might be slightly down the food chain are drinking the koolaid so don't care or notice?
I've been on a flight from WLG to AKL with Christopher Luxon sat in the aisle seat and me in the window seat. He was treated exactly as any other passenger by the staff, with the only possible difference being the middle seat was empty which could have been blocked out or it could just have been empty.

The fact that he wasn't given any special treatment made me doubt it was him until I confirmed it with a staff member after he had got off.

I've also flown in the seat next to an ex-head of Air NZ engineering and he too was treated just like any other person.

Of course things may be different for international flights.

One of the main things I've noticed that has changed is that planes are just not as clean as they used to. For domestic flights they always seemed to have cleaners go through after each flight to do a quick clean, but now it seems normal to have things like crumbs over tray tables and rubbish in the seat pockets. For international this also seems to be an issue, just look around the BP seat and you'll see that they need a good clean.

As others have said, some staff are great and others, well they just show how good the others are.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly NZ about three times a week and have zero expectations. The amount of flying makes me realize I am an input to an industry that lives on volume. As most of my flying is domestic, and regional I am rarely surprised because of my low expectations.
All my Tasman flying is on QF as there is an acknowledgement of service and as a QF platinum am always acknowledged.
Last week I made the mistake of booking a Works fare to SYD (but back on QF) and ended up on a VA aircraft where you only have entertainment if you have a device and the app (and a choice of about 6 films) and are prepared to have a drained device by the end of the trip given the lack of USB port. So an additional $50+ for a $3 meal. It is this sort of smart-arse, too clever by half thing that NZ and VA thrive on and that winds me up more.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I doubt there is much the airline can do for their CEO on an WLG - AKL flight accept maybe 2 cookies , of which am sure you will agree.

Would suggest should Christopher Luxon be on a long haul, treatment would be vastly different and the BP seat would be as clean as a whistle..

Agree though, some planes need a dam good Spring Clean....

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
I've been on a flight from WLG to AKL with Christopher Luxon sat in the aisle seat and me in the window seat. He was treated exactly as any other passenger by the staff, with the only possible difference being the middle seat was empty which could have been blocked out or it could just have been empty.

The fact that he wasn't given any special treatment made me doubt it was him until I confirmed it with a staff member after he had got off.

I've also flown in the seat next to an ex-head of Air NZ engineering and he too was treated just like any other person.

Of course things may be different for international flights.

One of the main things I've noticed that has changed is that planes are just not as clean as they used to. For domestic flights they always seemed to have cleaners go through after each flight to do a quick clean, but now it seems normal to have things like crumbs over tray tables and rubbish in the seat pockets. For international this also seems to be an issue, just look around the BP seat and you'll see that they need a good clean.

As others have said, some staff are great and others, well they just show how good the others are.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NZDavid

And yes - I got probably 200 of my 1500 points off CC. Still earned the vast majority doing a .... load of flying every week...
I know a handful of people putting 100k + per year on their cards from PAYE and GST payments which gives them max SP earn from cards. I suspect there are a lot of people who have realised this is possible and now reaping the benefits.

When you're only paying 1.42% convenience fee to Westpac and getting roughly 90% of that back in APD accrual it becomes a lot cheaper to gain status rather than the typical $15k or so you'd need to spend with Air NZ to get Elite.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I know a handful of people putting 100k + per year on their cards from PAYE and GST payments which gives them max SP earn from cards. I suspect there are a lot of people who have realised this is possible and now reaping the benefits.

When you're only paying 1.42% convenience fee to Westpac and getting roughly 90% of that back in APD accrual it becomes a lot cheaper to gain status rather than the typical $15k or so you'd need to spend with Air NZ to get Elite.
Well you'd be an idiot if you knew about it and didn't.

The cc discussion always goes down the "oh there's too many elites etc" path

I don't particularly care about the number of koru members or elites or how they got there. I had koru the first year and if I need to go back to it at some stage I will gladly do so. If it's a travel day I plan meals around lounge etc and it totally cuts down on my grocery bill and breakfast certainly isn't worse than the toast or cereal I may have at home. The lounge may crowd for a wee while but it clears. If it's less $$ out of my back pocket I don't really care how it affects anyone else because let's be real - no other flyer really cares about my life. And when everyone stops working are you all going to keep elite or buy koru or go back to the main terminal? First year I flew the full 1500 and was completely happy with my ANZ Cashback rewards cc then found FT somewhere in there and changed to the airpoints cc so I can now keep elite and stick a foot in the One World camp and another with VA to get benefits with EY.

If there's a way to make full use of the system you should From memory most people posting in this thread were posting in the cc thread so are also benefiting in some way from cc SP.

As for the soft product stuff - I dread the day I need someone to say hello to me to make me feel valued. I generally don't expect anyone to run around after me and those expectations don't change just because I got on a plane. I'm happy with the service I receive and when I fill out the surveys I say so.

Consider this elite happy.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kamadan
Well, NZ does have Whittaker's sticks as/for their premium cabin as in-flight snacks. And I view Whittaker's as both superior to Godiva and Cadbury
And now cue an argument over which brand is perceived as the "best" or "more premium" :P
My point was how much airlines spend rather than a debate on which chocolate is better.

Chocolates aside, NZ has really cut to the bone on catering (and from what I am reading, cleaning, service, etc...)

Originally Posted by msnz
United have Godiva choc too so not sure that holds water, sorry!
If United can spend decent money on Godiva, I think we all agree here that NZ can do better and so they should. From some of the other threads here on NZ pricing, they price at a premium level, they should deliver premium.

I'm a chocolate snob but I'm not a Godiva fan. Cadbury don't even make chocolate - they just make something that resembles a chocolale bar.
Whittakers FTW.
Brown coloured chocolate flavoured sugary coagulated palm oil.

My nieces/nephews sell these Cadbury chocolates as part of school fundraising. I buy them as a means of "donation" and try to give them back but they won't eat them either.

I've seen Valrhona, Lindt on other airlines.

Originally Posted by ruff00
My experience has been that the service levels have been reduced.
Also, like many here, I find that the crews vary enormously. This is very apparent when flying the longer routes.

The wine served is pretty much an insult. For this reason alone, I started flying with other carriers.
(I re-qualify pretty quickly each year, and now, instead of sticking with AirNZ, I fly with other carriers. I never used to do this, but I find the cost cutting has gone to far).

Recently, Qantas Business has been my preferred carrier. I had a flight up to Hong Kong with them from Brisbane. The cabin was excellent, the seats and bed and screen much, much better than the Air NZ BP. There was actually an excellent selection of Champagnes and Wines, the food was great and the crews were excellent.
Flying Air NZ BP for the return Hong Kong to Auckland. A sparkling wine before take off, one Champagne offered, average wines offered, poor food, small, cramped seat and bed, small screen that must be kept latched closed for the take off, uninterested cabin crew.

I would have blissfully stuck with Air NZ, but, they reduced the quality far too much, and I now enjoy the other carriers.
++++1
QF has nice First lounge plus access to other OW First lounges, to me it is of greater value than the exclusive EP1. (AFAIK, EP1 or NZ*E does not give access to SQ First lounge for example). I divert some flying now to OW instead of the higher qualifying gift, past Elite threshold.

For those who fly frequently I also find the menus quite repetitive.

I have mentioned the decline (as I am sure some of you might have done the same) to the odd Inflight Service Manager who takes the time to chat. They almost always do their part and fill in a report. Over the couple of years, I have yet to see any major changes. I am now resigned that nothing will change and have stop bothering.

That is ok. Like you, I just take my business elsewhere.
I actually find it very liberating..

Originally Posted by JJSWLG
I must say as a new Elite member I haven't noticed anything special over Gold. The only real benefit I see is the $100 upgrade to PE when flying across the ditch. As a result I wouldn't book flights or do SP runs purely to keep the Elite status.
+1
Law of Diminishing Returns
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Well you'd be an idiot if you knew about it and didn't.

The cc discussion always goes down the "oh there's too many elites etc" path

I don't particularly care about the number of koru members or elites or how they got there. I had koru the first year and if I need to go back to it at some stage I will gladly do so. If it's a travel day I plan meals around lounge etc and it totally cuts down on my grocery bill and breakfast certainly isn't worse than the toast or cereal I may have at home. The lounge may crowd for a wee while but it clears. If it's less $$ out of my back pocket I don't really care how it affects anyone else because let's be real - no other flyer really cares about my life. And when everyone stops working are you all going to keep elite or buy koru or go back to the main terminal? First year I flew the full 1500 and was completely happy with my ANZ Cashback rewards cc then found FT somewhere in there and changed to the airpoints cc so I can now keep elite and stick a foot in the One World camp and another with VA to get benefits with EY.

If there's a way to make full use of the system you should From memory most people posting in this thread were posting in the cc thread so are also benefiting in some way from cc SP.

As for the soft product stuff - I dread the day I need someone to say hello to me to make me feel valued. I generally don't expect anyone to run around after me and those expectations don't change just because I got on a plane. I'm happy with the service I receive and when I fill out the surveys I say so.

Consider this elite happy.
It's great that you are happy (seriously), but many of us aren't. It takes me 6-8 hours to get to Australia (from "provincial" NZ), and I mostly lose a day getting back, and that time is now to a large degree "wasted", because the Koru Clubs are now often so crowded that it is often impossible to find anywhere quiet enough or private enough to do any work (if you have anything even a bit confidential you can't look at it if someone can see it). In the past it was. I generally don't eat the food so it's not an issue to me. The Regional Koru lounge is literally standing-room-only in the morning and evening peak times.

I don't really mind if I get greeted specially. But when you pay business class and miss out on food or drink because of low staffing levels (767) it is less than thrilling.

I generally find the business class wines OK, but I'm not much of a wine buff. The meals can be OK, or they can be very poor. The service can be excellent, or occasionally pretty bad, in both short-haul and long-haul. It is very variable.

But if you ask anyone who has been around a while you will hear the same story, there has been a deterioration in the quality of the NZ product, which is very sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.