Spaceseat axed from Boeing 777-300ER

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
That's disappointing.

I presume that this means that Luxon has made up his mind about this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...w-Airbus-A320s
It is very disappointing. The options are very limited trying to fly Trans-Tasman business with air NZ when you live anywhere other than Auckland. I wonder if they have made a decision not to chase the "premium" end of the market and concentrate on the low to middle end, given the decisions to refurbish the 772 seats and give less J-seat space in 789 (and disembarkation after PE). Whilst I find the J seats comfortable, particularly for sleeping, they are falling way behind the competition.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by edmm
It is very disappointing. The options are very limited trying to fly Trans-Tasman business with air NZ when you live anywhere other than Auckland. I wonder if they have made a decision not to chase the "premium" end of the market and concentrate on the low to middle end, given the decisions to refurbish the 772 seats and give less J-seat space in 789 (and disembarkation after PE). Whilst I find the J seats comfortable, particularly for sleeping, they are falling way behind the competition.
I think the only reason that Air New Zealand is getting away with the outdated BP is the fact the amazing sleep quality and the fact that apart from some Japan flight, all of the long haul flight are overnight.

As far as a future wide-body business seat, reverse herringbone seems the only option which is better than the current herringbone seat and still economic as far as space goes. Are there any other seating products which would be suitable to replace the current BP?

The Premier in Business Premier is french for first; I think that BP should be on the cutting edge of business class products.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Virgin Australia 777 business class looks suitable......
But could AirNZ make them narrow enough to equal the current product on the 789.....?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I had a play with this seat at prototype seat at CES this year at the Panasonic Aero stand.. It was very nice.

Lots of airlines (incl Virgin Australia) have opted for the B/E Super Diamond. That would have also allowed 1-2-1 on the 789.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
That's disappointing.

I presume that this means that Luxon has made up his mind about this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...w-Airbus-A320s
I still would not give out on the Business Class A321. I asked them as I thought it would still be good to tout their Spaceseat design to other airlines to be used as a narrowbody/regional business class seat, which would be the limit of what I would sit in. I had always thought that the Spaceseat would be removed from the 777-300ER once they confirmed the 787-9 and 777-200ER seats, so what better use for the surplus seats than in the new A321.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I still would not give out on the Business Class A321. I asked them as I thought it would still be good to tout their Spaceseat design to other airlines to be used as a narrowbody/regional business class seat, which would be the limit of what I would sit in. I had always thought that the Spaceseat would be removed from the 777-300ER once they confirmed the 787-9 and 777-200ER seats, so what better use for the surplus seats than in the new A321.
Agree, the Spaceseat would make a great business seat for Trans-Tasman, certainly no worse than the 767 "business" seat.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..
ANA, new AA, Delta (at least) - all have 2-2-2 forward-facing with everyone having access to the aisle including window seats.

+ seat doesn't need flipping over to sleep (major irritation with NZ BP for me)
+ excellent privacy due to staggered layout (was benefit of Spaceseat, another peeve re BP).

agree NZ BP, like BA J, was once leading but now long-trailing the market.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
I am glad that the spaceseats are going. They were uncomfortable for the passenger and uneconomic for the airline due to the weight of them and the footprint. Good riddance.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Fitzherbert Carruthers
I am glad that the spaceseats are going. They were uncomfortable for the passenger and uneconomic for the airline due to the weight of them and the footprint. Good riddance.
To say they were uneconomic isn't exactly true. PE is an extremely profitable product for NZ - fitting more seats in the 77W simply allows them to be a lot more profitable as you can guarantee seat pricing won't drop with extra seats.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: NZ*Elite, QF Platinum, Koru Life, IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Totally agree that PE on 789 and 772 exceeds PE Spaceseat especially for us taller folk!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Definitely no Spaceseat for A321

Agree, the Spaceseat would make a great business seat for Trans-Tasman, certainly no worse than the 767 "business" seat.
Well it looks as if the Spaceseat is gone for good and that NZ will not likely even have Business Class on any Airbus.
Air New Zealand Airbus A321NEO: business class 'very unlikely'

Air New Zealand has all but ruled out business class on its forthcoming Airbus A321neo fleet, opting instead for an all-economy layout.

The Kiwi carrier had previously flirted with fitting a small business class cabin to the pointy end of the new single-aisle jets to help it better compete against Qantas, which offers business class on all trans-Tasman flights.
However, with the delivery of the first A321neo now just one year away, Air New Zealand says "it's very unlikely the A321neo will have business class", the airline's Chief Revenue Officer Cam Wallace tells Australian Business Traveller.

"More and more the trans-Tasman market is being served by wide-body jets, and as we get more wide-bodies with business and premium seating, my instinct is that we will serve the business market with those wide-bodies," Wallace predicts.
AirNZ's A321neo "is likely to have" some form of premium seating, Wallace confirms, such as extra-legroom Space+ rows or a Works Deluxe option in which the middle seats of the 3-3 configuration remain empty.....
Full story Australian Business Traveller
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:10 am
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but just wanted to check in regarding the refurb of the 777-300 to eliminate the Spaceseat.

I found this guidance in a press release on the Air New Zealand trade website, does anyone know if this is still the current timescale/plan? I was really hoping to try the Spaceseat LHR-LAX and return in June.

http://www.airnewzealandtrade.com/a-...-300er-upgrade

Customers flying NZ1/NZ2 London – Los Angeles - Auckland?
It is our intention at this stage for the Premium Economy Spaceseat™ to remain on NZ1 and NZ2 services until 28 August 2017. Please note, there may be occasions where due to maintenance requirements we will need to replace the aircraft operating these services with a reconfigured aircraft.

Customers flying NZ5/NZ6 Los Angeles – Auckland?
The refurbishment on our 777-300ER flying on the Los Angeles – Auckland route will be rolled our progressively from February 2017. Please note, any customers flying in Premium Economy on the NZ1/NZ2 between London and Los Angeles, and then onwards to Auckland on the NZ5/NZ6 may experience a difference in the Premium Economy seat during this time

Thanks so much for any info on how the refurb is progressing!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by pH
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but just wanted to check in regarding the refurb of the 777-300 to eliminate the Spaceseat.

I found this guidance in a press release on the Air New Zealand trade website, does anyone know if this is still the current timescale/plan? I was really hoping to try the Spaceseat LHR-LAX and return in June.

http://www.airnewzealandtrade.com/a-...-300er-upgrade

Customers flying NZ1/NZ2 London – Los Angeles - Auckland?
It is our intention at this stage for the Premium Economy Spaceseat™ to remain on NZ1 and NZ2 services until 28 August 2017. Please note, there may be occasions where due to maintenance requirements we will need to replace the aircraft operating these services with a reconfigured aircraft.

Customers flying NZ5/NZ6 Los Angeles – Auckland?
The refurbishment on our 777-300ER flying on the Los Angeles – Auckland route will be rolled our progressively from February 2017. Please note, any customers flying in Premium Economy on the NZ1/NZ2 between London and Los Angeles, and then onwards to Auckland on the NZ5/NZ6 may experience a difference in the Premium Economy seat during this time

Thanks so much for any info on how the refurb is progressing!
The first plane went into the 'shop' recently, so would suggest the time-frame for completion being late 2017 is on-track, and if you're aiming to fly LHR-LAX-LHR return in June, you should be OK to get the Spaceseat (subject to no changes due to operational reasons).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:32 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
The first plane went into the 'shop' recently, so would suggest the time-frame for completion being late 2017 is on-track, and if you're aiming to fly LHR-LAX-LHR return in June, you should be OK to get the Spaceseat (subject to no changes due to operational reasons).

Thanks so much for the update!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Lax-lhr-lax

think I got a deal. Premium economy (still slated to be the space seat through June or July) for $1350 r/t

I like the 41" pitch. Should be comfortable but I have a question: they market the center seats for folks traveling together. What has been your feedback for a single traveler? I like the idea of inside aisle as no one to crawl over.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.