Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Wellington Airport Security Procedures - Unintended consequences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Wellington Airport Security Procedures - Unintended consequences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
Thumbs down New Wellington Airport Security Procedures - Unintended consequences

I have just landed in Wellington (NZ5312) after a very enjoyable flight from Christchurch where we landed 10 minutes early - great I thought with my carry on I will be in a cab and into the city way ahead of schedule...!

What I didn't anticipate is that we landed at gate 15 - which is now sits behind the much anticipated changes to the airport security. (which looks great I might add)

The catch being we now have to transfer from the aircraft to the terminal (Gate 20) via an airport provided bus. So approx 20 mins later…. I finally disembarked the aircraft. Not happy as I soon found out they only have only one bus doing this task and I was on the second trip!!

I have done this type of thing may times overseas but they do this procedure with the right tools for the job!!

I love progress, I understand the security procedures and I am behind the changes to the centralise airport security 100% BUT come on guys only one bus for the aeroplane?? What happens when two or more (regional) flights are being processed at the same time?? Even the crew were surprised when we talked about the situation. This can easily be fixed!!

Last edited by Biz_Traveller; Jul 18, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My understanding was all turboprops will leave from the regional pier but that this isn't complete yet, so it's probably only a temporary measure.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
My understanding was all turboprops will leave from the regional pier but that this isn't complete yet, so it's probably only a temporary measure.
Yes they have been sending the ATRs 4 max. to the gates at the end of the southern jet pier. Due to the temporary nature they did not build an isolated entrance and walkway most likely below the departures level where the baggage holds etc. are located to the landside part of the terminal.
Of course if this was AKL they would still plan on using this arrangement with a single bus but announce a wonderful master plan that would resolve the issue 15-20 years from now....
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes (sbiddle) you are technically correct - but I also asked the local ground staff and they did not think it would be case in practice.

Last edited by Biz_Traveller; Jul 18, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
yep that's correct sbiddle. As the south pier gates are not completely finished (and associated apron works), the gates to the end of the south west pier are still being used by turboprops. Hopefully this will be sorted soon.
Furthermore, talking with some of the airport staff, I understand the bus was held up with the push back for a jet!
I was wondering around today and it is looking really good (slightly biased as I have had a hand in the design!). Even more impressive will be when the current solid hoarding line between the security screening point and the anti-pass back lanes miraculously turn into glazing...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:27 am

Has anybody heard any definitive opening dates of the new Koru?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller
Yes (sbiddle) you are technically correct - but I also asked the local ground staff and they did not think it would be case in practice.
There are still a number of gates they are still not complete. Gates will still remain at the end, and it's possible at peak times these could be used. Maybe they should just start screening ATR pax at CHC, then the problem goes away.

I guess the real issue out of Wellington is that there are far more turboprop services than there are jet services, and Air NZ have to make sure they don't have the experience of getting too and from CHC (which can be a crap one now on an ATR, particularly if it's cold and wet) any worse or they'll just lose pax.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:14 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
...I guess the real issue out of Wellington is that there are far more turboprop services than there are jet services, and Air NZ have to make sure they don't have the experience of getting too and from CHC (which can be a crap one now on an ATR, particularly if it's cold and wet) any worse or they'll just lose pax.
Even the walk to the aircraft from the CHC Regional Gates can be very cold.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Has anybody heard any definitive opening dates of the new Koru?
What is this new Koru lounge in Wellington? Is it a regional lounge? If so, let's hope it's more along the lines of the AKL regional lounge model rather than the CHC one...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
What is this new Koru lounge in Wellington? Is it a regional lounge? If so, let's hope it's more along the lines of the AKL regional lounge model rather than the CHC one...
It's upstairs in the new extension area. Look up to the left as you you're walking south before you get to the new regional gates and you'll see the glass windows overlooking this area.

It'll certainly be along the lines of AKL regional, not CHC.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mad_atta
All the regional lounges are too be brought up to the same standard/style as the AKL Regional Lounge. So I'd say the CHC Bird Cages days are numbered.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Was back through Wellington again this morning - they also need some better crowd control around the new regional boarding gates as we had four regional flights departing within 30mins of each other and it was crazy. The waiting crowd also was blocking the flow of other travellers to the new security area. I know that this section of the terminal is still not complete but there seemed no one in control - the ground staff were all watching what was happening and seemed powerless and unwilling to do anything about it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:04 am

I heard an anecdotal story from somebody about people waiting for jets in the regional area because they weren't aware you were supposed to go through screening to the gates.

When I flew back this evening lots of people were just walking past the no entry sign to head back to screening, obviously unaware you not can't exit on that side. There needs to be better signage and staff monitoring things.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Is there anything other than the NZ Lounge beyond the new screening point, to encourage people to head to the gate early e.g. a Cafe?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Is there anything other than the NZ Lounge beyond the new screening point, to encourage people to head to the gate early e.g. a Cafe?
Nothing yet but I am sure it's all part of the master plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.