Regional Gotta Go fares

Old Jun 15, 16, 7:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Regional Gotta Go fares

Anyone had any experience with these? What is the airpoints / status points earning like? Also, does this have a specific fare class?

I am also looking at the specific wording of the terms "$249 one way for two or more domestic sectors" and wondering if this could be construed to mean 4 or 5 destinations (unlikely).
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 16, 12:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,294
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I am also looking at the specific wording of the terms "$249 one way for two or more domestic sectors" and wondering if this could be construed to mean 4 or 5 destinations (unlikely).
I'm pretty sure by two or more flights it means when you can't get an direct flight to the region.

example AKL-CHC-IVC
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Jun 15, 16, 1:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,630
Earning is in line with most regional flights - which is around 8SP and 1APD for a journey. SP earn on regional flights is terrible overall unless you exploit the loopholes.

And no you can't scam it - it's for direct journeys only which is between 1 and 3 flight with 2 connections being the most to connect between any 2 NZ domestic destinations.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Jun 15, 16, 2:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Posts: 1,667
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Anyone had any experience with these? What is the airpoints / status points earning like? Also, does this have a specific fare class?

I am also looking at the specific wording of the terms "$249 one way for two or more domestic sectors" and wondering if this could be construed to mean 4 or 5 destinations (unlikely).
I've used it when I was too lazy to drive to AKL BUT I had the back up of being able to drive to Akl and still catch my international flight in time. You're essentially buying a seat + bag fare, no idea what booking class.

I tend to look at these when I'm doing something where I have some flexibility like it's not the end of the world if I miss that flight. (You can grab a shuttle from TRG to AKL) and I use it to save money eg right now the fares for TRG to AKL are at $200 for today and were above 169 for the last few days at least so I would take a punt on there being a seat free and save the $30 and buy a RGG fare.

I've only ever done one sector not 2.

SP earn, for that route is 6APD and 12SP but that's not why I do it, it's sometimes just a cheaper option.

It's a very easy process and an option I look at seriously when the fares get over $169. Bags are already packed to go no matter what.
NZbutterfly is offline  
Old Mar 11, 17, 2:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Posts: 3,393
Anyone know which booking class is used for Gotta Go fares?
SFO_FT is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 12:05 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
With the recent hold times, a friend wondered how they might be able to still use RGG fares. They received this curious response:

Given the wait times, weve actually relaxed the timelines for booking these, so you can call through more than 90 minutes prior to the flight.

The only thing I'd add is that at this time of the year, our flights are very full, so there are fewer times where seats are left available on the day of the flight, but that will get better as we pass the peak.
​​​​​​​
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 3:03 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Friend booked today at around 9am for a 1pm flight suggesting that it may be possible to use RGG fares for same day travel (no 90 minute requirement anymore). There was more than two seats available. Curiously the booking was not able to be viewed either online or in the app, despite this being previously possible.
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 3:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tauranga
Programs: NZ Elite, KrisFlyer, AC Aeroplan
Posts: 198
That's good to know. I'd asked Oscar about this a few weeks ago but got no reply, then subsequently checked at the airport when picking up Mr debh and was told that no tickets were sold at the airport (? - I must be getting old) Has anyone heard how far in advance these can now be purchased? And given how long one might be at the airport, have they relaxed the rule about no lounge access on RGG fares?
debh is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 4:07 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4
I booked a gotta go fare last week and was told while the call centre wait times are long they're allowing booking at anytime on the day of travel I.e. from midnight onwards. This temporary policy is subject to change however.
Elite Flyer2 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 8:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by debh
That's good to know. I'd asked Oscar about this a few weeks ago but got no reply, then subsequently checked at the airport when picking up Mr debh and was told that no tickets were sold at the airport (? - I must be getting old) Has anyone heard how far in advance these can now be purchased? And given how long one might be at the airport, have they relaxed the rule about no lounge access on RGG fares?
Gotta Go fares have never been sold at the airport and there have never been any lounge access restrictions. They include a bag, lounge access and earn points.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Dec 19, 22, 8:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by Elite Flyer2
I booked a gotta go fare last week and was told while the call centre wait times are long they're allowing booking at anytime on the day of travel I.e. from midnight onwards. This temporary policy is subject to change however.
This policy had been in place from maybe Julyish or so up until the end of Oct (same day rather than 90 mins). I needed to get back from ROT in early Nov and rang to ask if this had been extended and spent around 45 or 50 mins on hold to be told "no it finished at the end of Oct and only existed while we had long wait times". It's not the fault of staff but I wouldn't be able to say that with a straight face!

Good luck for anybody getting same day flights with either 3 or 5 seats free depending on status over the past month. They're pretty rare.
sbiddle is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread