New MEL lounge

Old May 26, 2016, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
New MEL lounge

I just saw this..

Air New Zealand is shortly about to refurbish its International Lounge at Melbourne Airport.

Please be advised that the lounge will be closed from 04 June 2016 while construction takes place.

From 05 June we will operate a temporary lounge for eligible customers to enjoy which will be located on level one of the terminal.

We look forward to welcoming customers to our new lounge at Melbourne Airport later this year.
Anybody know exactly where the lounge is going? I was under the impression it was going to escape the dungeon and offer better view than airport equipment, but to close the existing lounge would seem to indicate it's just going to be a refurbishment in the same location.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ Koru
It was meant to be going up on the same level as the Qantas F lounge that must of changed since, unless that had to vacate the current space before the new lounge is ready?

Any bets the temporary lounge is the old UA lounge?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was at MEL yesterday the old (closed) UA lounge was being worked on. People with tools and hi vis clothing. Still had UA signage.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
SQ lounge is going to be the alternate for those in the know, although I can see SQ turning people away if it becomes well known. Interestingly, the CX lounge is now the designated lounge at MEL for the UA flights for United Club members.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I just saw this..
Anybody know exactly where the lounge is going? I was under the impression it was going to escape the dungeon and offer better view than airport equipment, but to close the existing lounge would seem to indicate it's just going to be a refurbishment in the same location.
Came to the same conclusion it's likely to be in the same area. Will ask as will be there just after closure. I actually didn't mind that lounge as it was although I do like the new lounges.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I was under the impression it was going to escape the dungeon and offer better view than airport equipment, but to close the existing lounge would seem to indicate it's just going to be a refurbishment in the same location.
Maybe they're moving the equipment/chairs/other stuff from the existing location to the new location? That would force them to close the existing location even if they're moving.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by libertyuk
SQ lounge is going to be the alternate for those in the know, although I can see SQ turning people away if it becomes well known. Interestingly, the CX lounge is now the designated lounge at MEL for the UA flights for United Club members.
+1

got turned away many times on NZ boarding pass.... it is a problem for SQ and they don't feel they should accept other *A Gs
Old May 26, 2016, 7:37 pm

If they are using the SQ why does the page say there will be no lounge at all on the 4th while the set up in the temp lounge on the 5th? If was the SQ lounge was it why the day of down time?

The Air New Zealand Melbourne International Lounge is closed from 4 June 2016 for refurbishment. There will be no lounge available on 4 June 2016 as we prepare our temporary lounge. On this day eligible Business Class, Airpoints™ Elite, Gold, Elite Partners and Koru members will receive refreshment vouchers to redeem for food and beverages in the departures area after clearing customs and immigration. Our temporary lounge will be open from 5 June for you to enjoy.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inter...ge-information
Old May 26, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
If they are using the SQ why does the page say there will be no lounge at all on the 4th while the set up in the temp lounge on the 5th? If was the SQ lounge was it why the day of down time?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inter...ge-information
SQ lounge would (or that should be should - SQ have refused *G pax in the past elsewhere also) only be accessible for *G - not Koru

In SYD during the Koru refit the SQ lounge was the lounge of choice for anybody who didn't want to sit in an overcrowded zoo, and in the times I used it staff were very welcoming.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:44 pm

On the day that there is no lounge access, I wonder if you could drop by the VA lounge before heading airside? As the VA lounge is landside.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I've been using the SQ lounge the past few times I've flown NZ out of MEL, as the NZ lounge would become heavily crowded and SQ has better food, beverages and ambience. MEL lounge badly needs refurbishing and expansion. Hopefully after MEL, NZ will look at refreshing the WLG international lounge.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
It was meant to be going up on the same level as the Qantas F lounge that must of changed since, unless that had to vacate the current space before the new lounge is ready?

Any bets the temporary lounge is the old UA lounge?
That was the plan! NZ was suppose to take one of the new lounge spaces on Lvl 3, both EY and EK have since moved to the new lounge spaces. I think NZ decided not to take up the new space in the end.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:47 pm

Hopefully after MEL, NZ will look at refreshing the WLG international lounge.
AKL & WLG Domestic are both in need of an upgrade, 6.00am in AKL Dom can be an complete Zoo. Evening the new Regional one gets to capacity on an Saturday Morning.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
AKL & WLG Domestic are both in need of an upgrade, 6.00am in AKL Dom can be an complete Zoo. Evening the new Regional one gets to capacity on an Saturday Morning.
Agree about the WLG Domestic. Not sure about the AKL one, haven't been there. WLG Domestic has a number of issues. Lack of toilets at peak times, the fact that it is pre-security and that the lounge is actually quite small. I would not hesitate to say that it is smaller than the CHC regional.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Agree about the WLG Domestic. Not sure about the AKL one, haven't been there. WLG Domestic has a number of issues. Lack of toilets at peak times, the fact that it is pre-security and that the lounge is actually quite small. I would not hesitate to say that it is smaller than the CHC regional.
Wlg will be post Security once the work on the terminal is done, they are moving to security to the end of the pier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.