Wiki Posts
Search

787 Business Class seating

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
787 Business Class seating

Now that the 787s are coming into service on more routes (AKL/RAR later this year) I'm wondering if anyone has flown in the business class cabin.

Looking at the seat map, it seems to me that sitting in the A row would be more private. The other 2 seats look towards one another as they do in the 777s.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Now that the 787s are coming into service on more routes (AKL/RAR later this year) I'm wondering if anyone has flown in the business class cabin.

Looking at the seat map, it seems to me that sitting in the A row would be more private. The other 2 seats look towards one another as they do in the 777s.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Yes, it is a lot more private IME on the 'A' side. Only 6 seats compared to 12 on the other. Also, on the 'A' side you all receive your own overhead compartments whereas on the other some passengers (especially in the first 2/3 rows) have to share. This is because of the crew rest being directly above the first few rows of the 'J' seats meaning the the overheads have been removed.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: airnz elite
depends also if you prefer the middle or window seats in J, for me I prefer the middle, less noise and less heat coming from the aircon or something close to where you put your head.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I always opt for B/K seats as I prefer to sleep on my right. A/J means facing the back wall of the seat whereas B/K gives me the open space.

Clearly on a 789 I'm going to be limited to what seats I can get!
Old May 20, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: NZ*E, One World
I am about to fly back to Auckland from Singapore shortly, code share SQ285, came over though on Wednesday morning on the new 787, had seat 06A, for sure more space on the A side. The old midnight flight is hard to get a feel for how things are, kind of straight on, as soon as in the air, go to sleep, it must be a cruise really for the business class staff. Think only 2 people out of 18 ate food.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Row A it will be!
Old May 21, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: NZ G
To add my 2c:

Just flew the 789 AKL-HNL in J, seat 6A. I was by myself, so the A side was definitely the better option for me. 6A is served first in J (as far as I could tell, certainly served first on the A side) so was able to get done with dinner sooner (which I like on overnight medium-long hauls).

Overhead compartment to yourself on the A side, and, in 6A, I had the magazine/newspaper section on the wall at the rear of J for my use too. There is also more storage area behind the seat.

Agree with davidkemps re aircon coming out of the head area in the A seats, but this doesn't bother me too much.

All in all, the 789 NZ J product is pretty good. Would like the bed to be ~10cms longer but other than that, great.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:36 am

Remember the bed of the 789 is not the same as the 77R/77W, it is smaller.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:07 pm

789 J seats are noticeably narrower.

NZ J seats are designed for wide twin aisle 77R/77W not 789.

IMV precious space is wasted on aisle.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Last row is only divided by a curtain to PE, noise travelled easily so wouldn't select the last row again. Usually I choose 7A/K on a 77W
Old May 24, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

That's a good point, Rebound, especially as the first rows of PE have bassinets. And 1K also has a bassinet. So 3A and 4A would probably be the ones to go for I think.

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by AucklandIrish
To add my 2c:

Just flew the 789 AKL-HNL in J, seat 6A. I was by myself, so the A side was definitely the better option for me. 6A is served first in J (as far as I could tell, certainly served first on the A side) so was able to get done with dinner sooner (which I like on overnight medium-long hauls).
Out of curiosity what were PE/BP loadings like? With the big price increase in BP to HNL with the 789 and steep pricing of both PE and BP compared to economy I just wonder how many pax they'll get in BP.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: NZ G
2 empty seats in BP, full in PE as far as I could see. The PE/BP pricing isn't bad when on special, but I wouldn't pay full price for either premium product given economy can be had for ~$500 each way. Great product though, albeit with a smaller seat than in the 77W/77R. Poopbunny is right - too much wasted aisle space.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
That's a good point, Rebound, especially as the first rows of PE have bassinets. And 1K also has a bassinet. So 3A and 4A would probably be the ones to go for I think.

Thanks.
I didn't from 1A at the front of the cabin or 2A n the 787 noisy at all from the gallery in front as there is quite a large distance still.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
[QUOTE=AucklandIrish;26659229]To add my 2c:

Just flew the 789 AKL-HNL in J.

Does the 789 disembark from the front of Bus class or from PE or both?
How was immigration at that time of the day, it used to be just the AirNZ flight when it arrived at night but I guess the morning arrival may be a lot busier with flights from elsewhere.
We fly AKL-HNL in 4K and 5K next Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.