Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Increased Economy baggage allowance to Asia... can someone decipher/explain this?

Increased Economy baggage allowance to Asia... can someone decipher/explain this?

Old Apr 27, 16, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM

So, anyone who got tonight's AirNZ Airpoints e-mail newsletter/update, will have seen this:

Pack in even more

As a valued Elite member your additional checked baggage allowance remains when flying on Air New Zealand, Star Alliance and partner airlines. For Air New Zealand marketed flights (operated by Air New Zealand with an NZ flight number) travel originating in New Zealand or Australia with a final destination of Honolulu, Singapore, and China (including direct journeys via Hong Kong) the standard checked baggage allowance in Economy is now 2 pieces, with each bag weighing no more than 23kgs. Elite members can take an extra bag up to 23kgs at no extra charge in Economy.
With a link back to their (I assume, updated) baggage allowance page:
Fare Type || Standard Baggage allowance || Star Alliance Gold, Elite/Gold Airpoints & Koru baggage allowance**
================================================== ====================
Economy* || 1 piece, max weight 23kg (50lbs) || 2 pieces, max weight 23kg (50lbs) each

* Economy class baggage allowance of 2 pieces, max weight 23kg (50lbs) each applies to travel to Singapore and China (including travel via Hong Kong)
** The additional piece for Elite Partner & Koru members is only available on Air New Zealand operated and ticketed flights when checking in with Air New Zealand.

Unless I am reading this wrong, is Air New Zealand actually now INCREASING the standard Economy baggage allowance for flights ONLY between Auckland and Singapore, and China (Shanghai), and any connecting flights to China via Hong Kong?

But this does NOT include just to Hong Kong itself... why the HKG exclusion?

Also, increased for flights to/from Honolulu but NOT for any of their North American destinations (YVR/SFO/LAX/IAH)?

That is extremely odd in a sense that, you'd think they would make 2 x 23kg pieces in Y to mainland North America standard again to "compete with the other carriers on this route", while for Asian destinations 1 piece or even a paltry 20kg is "the norm".

Can somebody make sense of this?
Old Apr 27, 16, 3:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
North America is only $1 for a 2nd bag and has had this promo for some time now.

I wonder if the HKG exception is something to do with CX alliance?
Old Apr 27, 16, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
North America is only $1 for a 2nd bag and has had this promo for some time now.
Well, you'd think they should just go ahead and make it "permanent" and include that 2nd bag by default... without someone having to consciously having to "opt-in". I mean, for a $1? How much is NZ actually making extra here?

And remember just because the allowance is 2 x 23kg bags doesn't mean everyone will be bringing that much... then again I don't work in the revenue department of NZ...

I wonder if the HKG exception is something to do with CX alliance?
Quite possible.
Old Apr 27, 16, 1:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It all starts to really just make things confusing. I notice you only get 1 bag if you travel to LHR via SIN also.Air NZ (like many other companies) seem to really love creating confusion for customers.

I'm still amazed how many people out there don't understand the concept of Seats2Suit. I love it because I can just travel bag only to AU and save money, but the number of comments I've seen from pax saying that they'll fly QF next time because they "don't have to pay extra for a meal" shows that people don't understand that you're not paying extra for a meal, but you're saving money by not having a meal. Works on NZ matches pricewise fairly closely with the QF fares and a seat and seat+bag fare are both priced below QF fares.
Old Apr 27, 16, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Spire Ambassador
I notice you only get 1 bag if you travel to LHR via SIN also.
This is due to MSC rules where SQ would be the MSC so their allowances would apply.
Old Apr 28, 16, 8:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I'm still amazed how many people out there don't understand the concept of Seats2Suit. I love it because I can just travel bag only to AU and save money, but the number of comments I've seen from pax saying that they'll fly QF next time because they "don't have to pay extra for a meal" shows that people don't understand that you're not paying extra for a meal, but you're saving money by not having a meal. Works on NZ matches pricewise fairly closely with the QF fares and a seat and seat+bag fare are both priced below QF fares.
What you are saying is true if you plan way ahead and take advantage of the lowest sale fares. But if you are less savvy or need to book a flight that suits your schedule, you will often find otherwise.

I just did a dummy booking for flights to Sydney next Friday. The cheapest all inclusive fare on QF is $254. The cheapest Seat Only on NZ is $286. I can find many many examples like this. I guess you just can't blame those who make comments like that and they have a real reason for it.

My point is that if NZ releasing limited low fares is to create a delusion that S2S gives people choices and you are always benefited. Are all travellers really paying less to fly Seat Only on NZ? Of course I don't have the stats to support one way or the other and this is open for discussion but I suspect I may very well be correct.
Old Apr 28, 16, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
This is due to MSC rules where SQ would be the MSC so their allowances would apply.
No, MSC rules have changed last year and now in most cases the Marketing Carrier is the MSC.

SQ uses weigh concept and their allowance is 30kg in Economy.
Old Apr 28, 16, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
My point is that if NZ releasing limited low fares is to create a delusion that S2S gives people choices and you are always benefited. Are all travellers really paying less to fly Seat Only on NZ?

Or is it that NZ just sells out faster than Qantas at the moment? most of my recent Tasman flights on NZ have been near 100% full and last two 100% full.
Old Apr 29, 16, 3:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Or is it that NZ just sells out faster than Qantas at the moment? most of my recent Tasman flights on NZ have been near 100% full and last two 100% full.
Was in BP from MEL recently and every seat on the 777-300 in BP and PE was taken.
Old Apr 29, 16, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
Was in BP from MEL recently and every seat on the 777-300 in BP and PE was taken.
You didn't happen to be on the ANZAC day (25th) MEL-AKL flight right?

My (expiring) Elite Short-Haul RU cleared 7-days out (to J), and up until that morning I could still move my seat assignment around. Imagine my slight surprise when the in-flight service manager told me, and I quote "flights today are WAY beyond oversold".

The captain even came on and apologized about families being split up in the cabin, saying every single seat on the 777 is filled up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: